Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #106
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I am not very techie and just went for what I was familiar with and within a price that didn't make my eyes water too much ($229NZD, which is about $190USD).
You paid $229 NZD for the Netgear?

This modem/router is routinely available in Australia for around $95 AUD ($123.75 NZD)...
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #107
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I'm not really sure - I had a belkin g before I got the belkin n. We're in a 2 storey house and the coverage was rubbish so I swapped it out for an n. It seemed to solve the coverage problem.

I did notice that there weren't many g routers for sale, most were n, n+ and even an n++. I am not very techie and just went for what I was familiar with and within a price that didn't make my eyes water too much ($229NZD, which is about $190USD).

But it is certainly much faster than the belkin n was - which was an unexpected bonus.

I'm not sure why wifi has to be so hard - there must be lots of people making money out of setting up wifi for those who have no idea what they are doing, and lots of unsecured networks out there as well.

Work for me today - would rather be at home enjoying the winter sun and reading! Enjoy the rest of your long weekend
Its not hard usually. But that said it seems that for every easy one theres a hundered hard ones.

good luck

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #108
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
You paid $229 NZD for the Netgear?

This modem/router is routinely available in Australia for around $95 AUD ($123.75 NZD)...
Ummm, yes! (shamed to admit it) - did they see me coming or what!?

Are you sure it is the same model - N300 dgn2200

JB HiFi were the lucky retailer that took my $, not that it was out of choice, the only place I could get to on the day with a reasonable selection . I probably could have saved $20-$30 or so by shopping around but I didn't have the time or energy.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #109
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Ah, it's an upgrade to the dgn2000 I was referring to... still, the dgn2200 retails for $109 AUD ($141 NZD) over here.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #110
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have a question thouh regarding "N" do you find it worth the extra money to go to from g? I have a g router (linksys) and with my wifi was wondering if the n would be better, my tivo wifi dongle is g so not sure if it would help any way.
I found "g" just fine, if the router is not in the same room as target
device. I think that "n" is faster in a close range, contrary to better
"g" if you combat through walls. If it would be me, I'd take quality
router and choose just one of them, "g" or "n". Some devices are
puzzled if both are enabled.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #111
iamstillvince
iamstillvince began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
dont know if people are still having troubles but after latest update our kobo touch has finally connected to my wifi, no changes made to my wifi so the update must have fixed something.
iamstillvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #112
altair
altair began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch, (Future) Kobo Touch
Hi folks!
I am having trouble connecting to Wi-Fi on the Kobo Touch that I purchased a few hours ago.

I tried to connect to my phone's hotspot in the following way.
#1 WEP with 10 digit password
#2 Open network

The KT would see the networks but when I tried to connect, it would say incorrect login!
Even for the open network! What can be incorrect about login into an open network.

I tried manually inserting the SSID and the password (for the WEP one) & and manually adding the SSID of the open one. I get incorrect login each time. Even for the open one.

Will a factory reset help? I am using the latest firmware 1.9.6 (r30320). Is there a problem with the firmware?

My iPod Touch and the laptop has no problems connecting to both the networks.

Guys please help me! Thanks.

Last edited by altair; 07-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.
altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #113
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
A factory reset will often fix problems where the reader is not acting as it should. Before you do that, try a 'pin reset' and if that doesn't fix the problem, then, do a factory reset.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #114
altair

Just connected to a WPA2 network with success!!!
So probably would not need to reset at all.
That means that there are problems with the WEP and open networks only!
Would anybody care to help?
Also why does the network keep showing up after rescans even after turning the modem off?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #115
altair

I can confirm that my KT is connecting to networks with WPA encryption as well.
Still could not connect to my WEP hotspot!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #116
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
My KT is hit and miss. It connects on the odd occasion but mostly it just says 'Error' - Unable to connect. It also doesn't seem to remember known networks. My Kobo Wifi - which I gave to my sister - works just fine and connects on to our wireless very smoothly. I tried them both at the same time. The Kobo Wifi connected right away and the Touch returned an error.

(Edit: Our wireless is WPA2 encryption)

I would really like to have our local newspaper everyday but won't keep the subscription if I can't download it wirelessly.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by ladybugh; 07-18-2011 at 09:42 AM.
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #117
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
This is odd.

I have to residences in different countries. Both have a series of Linksys WRT54G routers installed both as routers and access points. Both use the same WPA2 Personal TKIP+AES security with the same password. After a number of tries at the first residence I got the wifi to connect, and it had no trouble reconnecting after that. I have now returned to the second residence and nothing I can do will make it connect, including manual setup.

Very strange.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #118
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Just an update: Finally my touch connects to my home network with no issues (after installing firmware 1.9)

WOO HOO!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #119
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Unhappy WEP does NOT work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarvox View Post
If I try connecting it to WEP using a 5 character password, it constantly returns "Incorrect Login". (Yes, I confirmed that I'm using the correct login)
- I use Mac Minis for my wifi using "internet sharing" mode and WEP (they can't do WPA).
- I've tried it on 3 different Minis, two of them using OSX 10.4 and one using OSX 10.6.7. Same problem connecting using WEP encryption on all.
- I tried manually setting the network. Still get "Incorrect Login".
- I did a factory reset and reinstalled the firmware update. Still no dice.
- I turned off WEP encryption, making it an open network. This worked. So, it's not a Mac OS issue per se, but some problem with WEP (for the record, I used 5 character (40 bit) passwords of either all lower case letters or all numbers).
Exactly the same here

Got a Mac Mini, I use it as a WiFi hotspot at home, unfortunately Mac OS does WEP only (40 or 128 bit).

Kobo Touch: 1.9.9

Unencrypted network: Works flawlessly.
Encrypted WEP network: Doesn't work.

I entered a letter/number combination as a password on the Mac (length 5, as requested for 40bit encryption), and entered it exactly like that on the KT (case matters, I know).
Also tried using the manual mode on the KT, as well as entering the hex equivalent (length 10) instead of the original letter/number combination (again, case matters for ASCII-to-HEX-conversion!).

For the sake of debugging, here is the password I used on my Mac for the WEP encryption: n52em

On the Kobo Touch, I entered it as
n52em, 6e3532656d and 6e:35:32:65:6d

For the ASCII-to-HEX-conversion I used http://www.dolcevie.com/js/converter.html
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #120
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the WiFi security scheme problem. I manually entered my network this time instead of having the device find it and manually set the security scheme and presto, it worked. The weird thing was that when I had it detect my network automatically, it recognized the type of security but wouldn't work. Manually entering it, though, seemed to work.

So long story short, thanks PeterT!
Thanks, I was having issues with my KT remembering my Wifi settings properly.
Manually entering my wifi settings sorted it out nicely.

I'm using WPA2 btw.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote