Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
chezjim
chezjim began at the beginning.

Device: ematic eglide
Sigil adds spaces between HTML tags, creating strange characters

I love Sigil, but it regularly adds spaces between certain HTML tags. The result in many ereaders is either a question mark or some other strange character. This inevitably adds extra effort in proofing the result, since I have to go page by page through every document to catch these.

A similar problem happens when a space appears at the end of text just before a closing tag.

Last edited by chezjim; 05-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.
chezjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I don't think I've observed this. Can you post an example?
st_albert is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
In my experience the question marks are the result of using codes which are not supported by either the reader or epub. I have not yet observed that Sigil adds spaces which results in invalid code.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
If it adds spaces, they would show up as spaces. A questionmark is an indicator of bad codepage implementation.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
chezjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
If it adds spaces, they would show up as spaces. A questionmark is an indicator of bad codepage implementation.
Meaning what, exactly?

This is a very random problem. It can be as simple as a space between a close <font> tag and the next one opening after it: </font> <font>.

But it is also random in the sense that it will suddenly appear after unrelated fixes to the overall file. Which makes me think it has to do with whatever Sigil does to "neaten up" code.

If it were a codepage implementation, wouldn't it be uniform from the first time you open the HTML file? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You need to give better examples. The example you give would result into nothing but a blank space. However, the example is silly, since you can better remove the tags and just enter a space though...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezjim View Post
Meaning what, exactly?

This is a very random problem. It can be as simple as a space between a close <font> tag and the next one opening after it: </font> <font>.

But it is also random in the sense that it will suddenly appear after unrelated fixes to the overall file. Which makes me think it has to do with whatever Sigil does to "neaten up" code.

If it were a codepage implementation, wouldn't it be uniform from the first time you open the HTML file? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?
was the missing in font, wrong character used 'uniformly' throughout the document?

<font> ... </font> are deprecated. I don't see these tags commonly used in EPUB. (you may have found a soft spot in Tidy for an obsolete coed usage)

these should probably be replaces with a <span class=...
and appropriate stylesheet entry
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
chezjim

Well, in fact, the only character that prompts this particular glitch is a space. And only a space in a particular set of tags.

Don't know about <font> being depreciated - typically I bring in an HTML file and convert it, so there's a certain number of artifacts I end up having to straighten out.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well, I admit it, now I'm completely confused. I thought that the problem was that Sigil was adding a space between certain (possibly deprecated) html tags...now you're saying that a space is adding a space?

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the question is, here, much less the answer?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
chezjim

Maybe I misunderstood this:
"was the missing in font, wrong character used 'uniformly' throughout the document?"

The only character that prompts this problem is a space, and then only a space used in particular circumstances, among them (but not necessarily uniquely) the font tag pair. But what appears in the ereader is not a space - rather it appears as a question mark or (depending on the ereader) whatever character is used to indicate a character that is not understood by the ereader.

So yes, it is a space prompting this problem, but what one sees in the end result is not a space. And not all spaces create this problem.

If it sounds quirky, it because it is.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezjim View Post
I love Sigil, but it regularly adds spaces between certain HTML tags. The result in many ereaders is either a question mark or some other strange character. This inevitably adds extra effort in proofing the result, since I have to go page by page through every document to catch these.

A similar problem happens when a space appears at the end of text just before a closing tag.
I'm a bit confused with this (as several others are), as we are stuggling you fully grasp the problem. So just checking that I understand the problem here.
  1. End-tags followed by start-tags; Sigil frequently put a character between them when there wasn't one before.
  2. These characters appear in Sigil to be spaces.
  3. When viewing the resultant epub in a reader these "apparent" spaces get displayed as a non-recognisable character.

Is this the problem you are having?

So, is it consistantly happening to any particular tags? and if so, what tags?

Also, are there any tags that you don't see this problem with?

Could you by any chance attach an epub here that has this problem? (If its copyrighted, just sanitise the content) This would help us to understand this issue.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 06-10-2011 at 08:11 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote