Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
kylecronan
-
kylecronan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
jesse, it appears unable to bring the wan interface up while usb networking is in use. have you looked at whether there is any way around this?
kylecronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecronan View Post
jesse, it appears unable to bring the wan interface up while usb networking is in use. have you looked at whether there is any way around this?
I bet he could, and I bet he won't. If you have both the USB networking and the 3G on at the same time, wouldn't that be one step closer to using the K2 as a modem?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
kylecronan
-

I guess that's true. I was just looking for some way that I can leave the USB networking on all the time, to make it easier to telnet in whenever.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #19
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

@kylekronan I've been pondering an "easier" way to turn on USB Networking, but for now I'm content as is.

@stevenmoy - Indeed. It's really important to me that anything I release for the Kindle makes it _really_ obvious that it's a hacked up OS.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
I have some ideas about getting proper and free fonts onto the Kindle. If I can make it go, I'll package an "upgrade"
Jesse, have you made any progress with this? I've managed to get unicode support on the home menu, but not in the reader. It almost seems like the actual reader app is not even attempting to do anything but Latin-1, since they're using the same fonts and fonts config.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12608.gif
Views:	550
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	25292  
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #21
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I've been focused elsewhere (crosscompiler).

Did you modify /usr/java/lib/font.properties or did you just drop new fonts into /usr/java/lib/ with the same names as existing fonts?

Which did you replace?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Which did you replace?
Ha. I'm a putz. I only replaced the Serif to test with, but just realized that my test .mobi file was made from a HTML file that was enclosed entirely in <pre> tags, and was rendering mono-spaced (using the KindleBlackbox font). Oh well.

Everything works as expected, now to find some better fonts than the ugly GNU FreeFonts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-53833.gif
Views:	528
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	25319  

Last edited by clarknova; 03-09-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just want to say "I love you people"! I don't know if I'll be able to take advantage of the cool stuff you're doing (most of it flies over my head) but I love that you're doing it. Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
kylecronan
-

clarknova, that's very impressive and quite a useful hack! So what's a good font that supports many or most of the Unicode code blocks?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecronan View Post
clarknova, that's very impressive and quite a useful hack! So what's a good font that supports many or most of the Unicode code blocks?
That's the $25,000 question. I don't think there are any universal multilingual fonts that look very good. For most western language speakers the Times/Arial/Courier combo will do it. However the fonts are not redistributable outside of their unaltered form, which means people would have to download the original packages, extract the fonts and build the updates themselves.

For the CJK, Thai, Indian, and other non-latin based languages, different font sets would be needed, and again the updates would have to be built individually.

Technically you could probably use BitStream Cyberbit and Arial Unicode as your Serif and Sans fonts if you wanted all of the unicode glyphs, but this is overkill and would cost you the ability to have bold or italics.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
jesse
Connoisseur

@clarknova, Nice work!

Try out DejaVu and Droid Sans Fallback.

http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid_(font)
(for the droid ffonts, go to the git repo to download)

I'm happy to try out what you've got or chat about packaging once you've got something useful
Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #27
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Or this community can pull together $1 million dollar prize pool to hire a graphic artist to crunch out the entire unicode set and distribute for free.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #28
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
That's the $25,000 question. I don't think there are any universal multilingual fonts that look very good. For most western language speakers the Times/Arial/Courier combo will do it. However the fonts are not redistributable outside of their unaltered form, which means people would have to download the original packages, extract the fonts and build the updates themselves.

For the CJK, Thai, Indian, and other non-latin based languages, different font sets would be needed, and again the updates would have to be built individually.

Technically you could probably use BitStream Cyberbit and Arial Unicode as your Serif and Sans fonts if you wanted all of the unicode glyphs, but this is overkill and would cost you the ability to have bold or italics.
Maybe you can just teach us how to make the update ourselves then? I think all hacks are not meant to be used by the average joes anyway.

BTW, Droid is a good font. It is also relatively tiny w.r.t the blocks it covered.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #29
kylecronan
-

lovebeta, do you know how to write shell scripts? If so, it's just a matter of using Igor's updatemaker script to make an update that installs telnetd or something similar.

Google "android busybox binary". This binary will act like telnetd if run with that name (ie, change the name to 'telnetd' or symlink 'telnetd' -> 'busybox'). Add your startup script to /etc/rc5.d.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
superzhou
superzhou began at the beginning.

I got Chinese font displayed on Kindle 2 also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-7087.gif
Views:	517
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	25668  
superzhou is offline   Reply With Quote