Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
dogvomit
dogvomit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Editor just doesn't show anything

When I try to use the editor (right-click->edit from Calibre) the editor just does not show anything. I'm attaching a screenshot of the window I get.

Even if I use the file->open menu from the editor window, it does the same thing. Just a blank window.

At first, I just ignored this figuring it was a broken feature, but this behaivour has persisted over several version numbers now. Right now I have Calibre 2.42.0 and I use a Macbook-pro running Yosemite.

Any suggestions?

--George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 12.06.53 PM.png
Views:	258
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	143347  
dogvomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Thom*
The Fumbler
Thom* began at the beginning.

Device: android 4.2/fbreader
In windows, Alt V to drop down the View Menu, then select "File Browser".
I don't know the Apple alternative to Alt.

Also, don't know why you don't have the Menu across the top of the screen.

Last edited by Thom*; 10-31-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Thom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@Thom*
The menu disappeared because OSX uses a Global menubar which hides things.
I know this because Ubuntu decided to do the same thing -- that's when I switched operating systems, moved to ArchLinux.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
dogvomit
dogvomit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thom*, thank you very much. This did it. I needed to use the view menu to enable "files browser". Problem solved. Now I can edit away.

I think it is a bizarre default to have nothing there, though.

eschwartz, OSX uses the command key much the same way alt is used in Windows. And like Thom* said, the menubar is at the top of the screen, not part of the application window. My screenshot only showed the application window.

Thanks again.

--George
dogvomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogvomit View Post
Thom*, thank you very much. This did it. I needed to use the view menu to enable "files browser". Problem solved. Now I can edit away.

I think it is a bizarre default to have nothing there, though.
By default it is there -- you must have accidentally gotten rid of it at some point.

Are you saying calibre shouldn't let "nothing" show up? I dunno -- letting people pick and choose which components they want to see is no bad thing, though personally I wouldn't get rid of the file browser you *can* use e.g. the ToC instead...

How to enforce that something shows up?

Quote:
eschwartz, OSX uses the command key much the same way alt is used in Windows. And like Thom* said, the menubar is at the top of the screen, not part of the application window. My screenshot only showed the application window.

Thanks again.

--George
I know. I think @Thom* didn't, though.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Thom*
The Fumbler
Thom* began at the beginning.

Device: android 4.2/fbreader
Well, my excuse (and I'm proud of it) is that I have never owned and apple product and likely never will.
Thom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Neither have I, or will.

But I did have a Ubuntu computer, of course when they started imitating OSX I had to switch OSes (yay ArchLinux) -- if I wanted a Mac lookalike I'd get a Mac.
I learned more than I wanted to know about interfaces that I don't find appealing.

EDIT: To clarify for lurkers, I didn't have to switch OSes, I could've just switched desktops. But I no longer trust the company behind Ubuntu to have users' best interests at heart.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-01-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Another No Way Apple, person here. I hate Closed (Lock in the Consumer) environments .

I did not go as far as eschwartz, I only Switched Linux Desktops away from that awful 'Unity" (hide all the working innards) thing.

Adding your own menu items used to be simple. Seeing what the ones that were there were dong (calling) was as easy as looking at the 'preferences'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, ebook editor