Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
gpc127
grant
gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle
spacing problem epub to mobi

This is probaby a common problem but when I transfer an epub created in Sigil to mobi there are irregular spacing problems occasionally.

That is a line will break and start a new paragraph in mid sentance.

If I am using the Calibre viewer I can enlarge the screen and the problem disappears. If I am using my Kindle the problem stays even if I change font size.

Editing in Sigil in html everything looks good but clearly I am making a mistake somewhere or somehow.

I have tried to use Calibre html view but I am unclear where in that splendid confusion I need to edit.

Thank you for your patience with a beginner.

cheers

grant

Last edited by gpc127; 05-28-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: mispelling
gpc127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Kindle does not hyphenate words, so what you are experiencing may be the "normal" behavior for justified text on a kindle device. If it cannot efficiently space all of the words with its justification algorithm, it will just jump to a new line rather than creating enormous gaps between words to keep everything justified. This can result in a slightly ragged right edge that tends to get increasingly worse as the font-size is increased. There's nothing that can be done about that.

If it's truly "starting a new paragraph" in mid-sentence, then that's something else entirely—that can't easily be debugged without seeing at least a sample of the original epub and knowing exactly how you're converting it to MOBI.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-29-2012 at 11:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
gpc127
grant
gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Thank you DiapDealer.

Good suggestion but the problem was elsewhere. I went into Sigil and looked at the html and found seperations the code between the words where they split into new paragraphs. I just deleted them and will now check to see if they are the problem. I suspect they are but how they got there is a mystery. I stripped the text back to Times New Roman but I guess I had some formatting left that cause the problem. I assume that the problem is in my epub html and not in its translation to mobi.
gpc127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
nymormon
nymormon began at the beginning.

I am having a similar problem with an EPUB file that I converted to MOBI. I set up chapters, and it works great, except for one. It should say :

Part One
Prologue

as one chapter. But, for some reason, it puts "Part One" on one page, and "Prologue" on another page. I've checked the code, and there is no difference from all the other chapter headings. In the EPUB file, it works perfectly. In the Calibre viewer, it's perfect. But, on my Kindle, and Kindle for PC, it's not.

I even merged this with the next chapter, and it still does it. I've spent 2 days trying to figure this out. I've posted to other forums, but have gotten no responses.

Any ideas?
nymormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymormon View Post
I am having a similar problem with an EPUB file that I converted to MOBI. I set up chapters, and it works great, except for one. It should say :

Part One
Prologue

as one chapter. But, for some reason, it puts "Part One" on one page, and "Prologue" on another page. I've checked the code, and there is no difference from all the other chapter headings. In the EPUB file, it works perfectly. In the Calibre viewer, it's perfect. But, on my Kindle, and Kindle for PC, it's not.

I even merged this with the next chapter, and it still does it. I've spent 2 days trying to figure this out. I've posted to other forums, but have gotten no responses.

Any ideas?
If you're using calibre to convert to mobi, then it's the one inserting the page break when it converts the epub.

The default chapter detection in a calibre conversion will insert a page-break when it encounters H1 or H2 tags that contain the words "chapter, book, section, part, prologue, epilogue" as well as any element that has a class of "chapter."

You'll have to modify the settings in the "Structure detection" section of calibre's conversion dialog (or change the underlying html in your ePub so it doesn't match the default expression). The first two settings in that "Structure Detection" section in calibre is what you're looking for.

The same thing has driven me nearly batsh!t crazy myself.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
nymormon

Originally, I had it written as:

<h2>Part One</h2>
<center>Prologue</center>

and it separated the 2 lines onto separate pages, despite my having put a chapter break a line after the 2nd line. So, I changed it to <h2> on both lines, and it continues to do it.

Where do I find the Structure Detection section? I have been learning how to do this since January, so I am still new to this.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
nymormon

Thank you so much, DiapDealer, that did the trick!! It now looks like I want it to!! I found the Structure Detection and took out the term "prologue"! I had no idea!! I am learning, slowly.

Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No problem. I know how frustrating it can be. Especially when it seems like you've tried everything.