Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Silex
Silex began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Calibre content server not reachable from outside

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and also new to e-book reading and Calibre.
But until now, I am very enthousiastic about it.

I have a question.
After installing Calibre and running the content-server, I configered port-forwarding in my router.
Most things are working correctly, but not from outside my home network. I looked over similar problems in this forum, but could not find a solution.
  • The calibre-page is working from another computer within my home network on the internal ip-address of the pc where calibre content-server is running.
  • The calibre-page is also working from within my home network on the external ip-address. (I followed the advise to go to whatismyip.com).
  • The calibre-page is not working from outside (VPN connection/appserver at my work); get an error "unable to connect".
  • I can ping my external ip-address from my work and getting a reply.

My conclusions so far:
- the firewalls of the server-pc is not troubeling anything.
- port forwarding works, at least from within my home network.

My question: Perhaps it is the firewall of my work, that keeps me from getting a response, or can it be something else?
Silex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silex View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and also new to e-book reading and Calibre.
But until now, I am very enthousiastic about it.

I have a question.
After installing Calibre and running the content-server, I configered port-forwarding in my router.
Most things are working correctly, but not from outside my home network. I looked over similar problems in this forum, but could not find a solution.
  • The calibre-page is working from another computer within my home network on the internal ip-address of the pc where calibre content-server is running.
  • The calibre-page is also working from within my home network on the external ip-address. (I followed the advise to go to whatismyip.com).
  • The calibre-page is not working from outside (VPN connection/appserver at my work); get an error "unable to connect".
  • I can ping my external ip-address from my work and getting a reply.

My conclusions so far:
- the firewalls of the server-pc is not troubeling anything.
- port forwarding works, at least from within my home network.

My question: Perhaps it is the firewall of my work, that keeps me from getting a response, or can it be something else?
1) A Ping of you outside address from work, is your router answering ( do you really want that security weakness, however convenient?) .
2) Ask your IT staff if they block the port you chose to use (as the incoming on your home router) (NB they don't have to match Outside to Inside other than be correct. PublicIPort12345 ->Calibre_serverIP:8080).
3) Your ISP may be blocking at a different level (that did not prevent a close-in level loopback)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Silex

Thank you theducks.
1) Is allowing pinging really insecure? I did not know that.
2) I will ask at my work for this. Perhaps they can answer me a question about your number
3) too. (I have 8080 -> 8080).

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you theducks.
1) Is allowing pinging really insecure? I did not know that.
2) I will ask at my work for this. Perhaps they can answer me a question about your number
3) too. (I have 8080 -> 8080).

Thanks again!
1) It tells the bad guys the same thing it tells the Good Guys: there is a working IP there. No Answer does not covey either state

3: 8080 may be a standard Corporate blockage. set your router to translate say: 40755 ->8080
Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) It tells the bad guys the same thing it tells the Good Guys: there is a working IP there. No Answer does not covey either state

3: 8080 may be a standard Corporate blockage. set your router to translate say: 40755 ->8080
I'd be surprised if port 8080 was blocked; it's the port used, for example, by the Apache Tomcat web server.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Silex

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

That's it! It works now.
Thanks theducks!

@HarryT:
I guess my company must be very suspicious. But thanks for your input too.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That's it! It works now.
Thanks theducks!

@HarryT:
I guess my company must be very suspicious. But thanks for your input too.
There is/can be a difference between Inbound and out bound port blocking.
Harry is correct that a company could have a server on 8080 and allow inbound (or it is on the DMZ section of the LAN).

You company has good reason to be worried and take preventive measures before the whole place gets infested .