Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Calibre keyboard shortcuts?

Hi again

Sorry, this is another n00b question. Are there keyboard shortcuts for Calibre?

I'm using it on OSX, and so far I haven't been able to set keyboard shortcuts via the system, whether I use the button label or the first item in the drop-down menu (e.g. "Add books" or "Add books from a single directory").

Only one menu item has a keyboard shortcut shown. None of the others have keyboard shortcuts. I can't find any in the manual, FAQ or here.

Are there any? It would be a big help as I am disabled and rely on the keyboard.

Thankyou.

Clytie
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
Are there keyboard shortcuts for Calibre?
Yes. Right click on any book. The shortcut letter keys are on the right side of the list that appears. A few shortcuts are deeper in the menu ("M" for Merge is one.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
riverteeth
Enthusiast
riverteeth began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Sorry Starson17, but I think what you describe can only be called a half keyboard shortcut. If I have to move my hand to the mouse to right click, then the purpose of a keyboard shortcut has been negated.

I don't see any other posts about this on the forum, so I'm assuming there really aren't any true keyboard shortcuts, which is a shame. That's something I'd really like to see in a future update.

I'm on OSX as well. Is the reason we can't add shortcuts via the OS settings because there's no real menu (all commands placed on the toolbar instead)? What was the reasoning behind not providing a menu (that appears in the top menubar)?

Last edited by riverteeth; 07-21-2010 at 12:08 AM.
riverteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No you right click to find out what the shortcuts are. Once you know that, you can use them without a mouse.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverteeth View Post
Sorry Starson17, but I think what you describe can only be called a half keyboard shortcut. If I have to move my hand to the mouse to right click, then the purpose of a keyboard shortcut has been negated.
If I understand Starson17 correctly, he was just explaining how you can check which keys to use for what action - that you can see by rightclicking. In order to perform those actions (editing, converting and so on) all you have to to is mark a book and then press the key accordingly, for example press e if you want to edit, press c if you want to convert the format - no mouse movement required for that.

Edit: Kovid was faster
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
riverteeth
Enthusiast
riverteeth began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
My bad! I'm used to having to press command or ctr with keyboard shortcuts, so this didn't even occur to me. Thanks!
riverteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
If I understand Starson17 correctly, he was just explaining how you can check which keys to use for what action
Correct (you and Kovid were both faster than me )
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Seems some keyboard shortcuts are not documented anywhere. For example, "A" key to Add books, cannot be seen by right click on a book.

Anywhere a comprehensive list of the keyboard shortcuts? I searched the online manual, it was not there.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Please also point out in the manual that no modifier key is necessary. Mac users, for example, are used to pressing the Command key with a letter for common keyboard shortcuts.

It took me this long to work out that I only have to press the letter key itself. In list view, you press A to add books, E to edit the one which is selected, D to send it to the device, S to save it, C to convert it, V to view it, and O to open the containing folder.

A quick paragraph on keyboard shortcuts would be very welcome in the manual. If the manual is HTML, is this useful?

Code:
<h2>Keyboard Shortcuts</h2>

<p>Calibre has several keyboard shortcuts to save you time and mouse movement. These shortcuts are active in list view (when you're not editing the details of a particular book), and most of them affect the title you have selected.</p>

<p><i>Note: the basic Calibre keyboard shortcuts do not require a modifier key (Command, Option, Control etc.). You only need to press the letter key, e.g. E to edit.</i></p>

<h3>Basic Keyboard Shortcuts</h3>

<ul>
<li><b>A</b>: Add books</li>
<li><b>C</b>: Convert books</li>
<li><b>D</b>: send to Device</li>
<li><b>E</b>: Edit metadata</li>
<li><b>I</b>: get Info</li>
<li><b>O</b>: Open book folder</li>
<li><b>S</b>: Save to disk</li>
<li><b>V</b>: View</li>
</ul>

<p>Inside the menus, you will find other keyboard shortcuts, most of which <i>do</i> use modifier keys. These are handy when you do a specific action often.</p>
I don't know if you want to add info on the submenu commands. This is a start. You could also link them to the sections on each function.

Last edited by Clytie; 08-30-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: typo <blush>
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...oard-shortcuts
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is worth pointing out that one of the more important shortcuts (CTRL-Q) that quits Calibre is not on that list !
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

fixed.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
jmp1518
jmp1518 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Yes/No Column

I'm relatively new to this program as well as this website so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked. I have more than 1000 books in my library; most of which have been read through already. I was wondering if there was any way to create a keyboard shortcut to quickly put a yes or a no on each one without manually doing them all. I do not know if a shortcut already exists but I would greatly appreciate any help provided.

Thank you,

Jermey
jmp1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp1518 View Post
I'm relatively new to this program as well as this website so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked. I have more than 1000 books in my library; most of which have been read through already. I was wondering if there was any way to create a keyboard shortcut to quickly put a yes or a no on each one without manually doing them all. I do not know if a shortcut already exists but I would greatly appreciate any help provided.

Thank you,

Jermey
In the Y/N column:
F2 then Y
then use the mouse to move down (up/down changes the Y/N until enter)

Or Select all(or a group) the Yes books the tap 'E' for bulk edit and set the status to Y then click OK

Last edited by theducks; 03-12-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: fix garble
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
jmp1518
jmp1518 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In the Y/N column:
F2 then Y
then use the to move Mouse down (up/down changes the Y/N until enter)

Or Select all(or a group) the Yes books the tap 'E' for bulk edit and set the status to Y then click OK

I didn't realize it was that simple. Thank you so much!
jmp1518 is offline   Reply With Quote