Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo
Price drop

So they've finally gone ahead and dropped the price down to $128, I just got sent the email. I'd be happy about this if I hadn't already bought one. I rather feel as if I payed $20 for the privilege of beta testing the Kobo.

Dear Kobo:

How about a little love for your early adopters? Since you've dropped the price after only 3 months, how about you give everybody who payed full price $20 to spend at the Kobobooks website?
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I asked this in the other thread that appeared, but where (as in stores) has the Kobo gone down in price?

And I love Beta testing stuff! Sure, I've only had my Kobo for about three weeks so I missed out on a lot of the fun, but I would beta test for a living if I could. Especially video games. I like to beta test games more then I like to play the finished results.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
If you go to any Chapters or Indigo, or order it online, this weekend only, you can get a Kobo for $128, according to the e-mail. http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo-e....html?colour=0

Now's the time to get the Black Kobo to match your evening ware, and another White Kobo for kncoking around the cottage!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Doesn't look like a price drop to me - just a weekend-only sale.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm hoping they'll drop to under a hundred for Christmas, then I'll buy one for the wife and one for myself.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If they did, I will grab one for both my wife and daughter Alison. She asked me for an ereader for Christmas after seeing her mum's JBL and my Kobo.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Well ... I was not a happy camper when I got the email from Chapters/Indigo yesterday.

I just purchased my Kobo on Monday ... this past Monday ... a mere 5 days prior to the sale ... and nothing was said to me that I could save $21 by waiting.

I sent Customer Service an email last evening voicing my displeasure.

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
If a lower price happens within the return period, you can usually get an adjustment by implying that you'll return your item and buy it again at the new, lower price.

I bought my Kobo figuring that the price would go down, but I was tired of waiting and I had some money from a freelance writing gig.

Electronic stuff usually gets cheaper and better (though it sometimes gets cheaper and worse) but I just decide when I'm going to buy and try not to sweat it.

BTW, this is one great thing about Costco. They are generous about price reductions, pretty much giving it to you whenever the price on your item goes down.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
mapleleafs
mapleleafs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wifi
In all fairness, I'm not even sure if Chapters was aware they were going to have the Kobo on sale for $128 this weekend. It seems that they are simply price matching the $128 Kobo sale that is currently going on at Walmart.
mapleleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I just purchased my Kobo on Monday ... and then the price dropped five days later ...

OH! Am I supposed to be irritated, too? I bought my Kobo online as a pre-order sight unseen for US$149.99. Received it on time, BUT IT WENT ON SALE SHORTLY AFTERWARD! I guess I should be yelling and screaming bloody murder! Because people can now purchase it for US$149.99 MINUS a $20 GC MINUS $10 in Borders Rewards points, dropping the "bottom line" to $119.99.

I could have returned my Kobo to Borders within their 60-day return period, and purchased one at the new price!

NO, I am not irritated in the slightest with Borders. Nor will I be if they drop the price of the Kobo for the upcoming holiday season.

It is called "life." Get on with it. The market fluctuates. Use and enjoy your electronics.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
cmm
swizzle
cmm began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I bought mine two days ago. I called Chapters and asked if they'd refund the difference. The manager said yes.

If the answer was no, I'd live with it, chalk it up to the risks of buying electronics.

I'm pretty happy with the Kobo so far. I wouldn't mind a way to skip multiple pages quickly, set bookmarks, and have a few other minor usability concerns, but I can live with them for now and hope they're addressed in a future FW upgrade.
cmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... bought mine two days ago. I called Chapters and asked if they'd refund the difference. The manager said yes ...

Way to shoot! Managers have that latitude. And you handled it very well, of course! You "asked" for a resolution. But can you imagine the next caller, who DEMANDED JUSTICE? People like being treated with respect.

>> ... If the answer was no, I'd live with it, chalk it up to the risks of buying electronics ...

In this case (and I am not independently wealthy), I can sure "Bradford rationalize" the enjoyment I received for that first few weeks as being "worth" the twenty or so bucks that a newer purchaser will receive.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I'm glad the price came down. I was in K-Mart this morning for towels and walked out with another E-reader called Augen for $90.00. Complete with case, charger, cable, wifi,webbrowsing, audio, landscape mode, lovely pdf viewing, DRM etc. It is a backlit color display, I don't really need it, but I could NOT walk by without putting it in my cart...It reads most all formats and has fast page turns. I doubt I"ll ever webbrowse or wifi with it, but I will read at night. I know nothing of it, except I"m not sufferring buyers remorse. I wish Kobo the best, but the competition is growing quickly.
http://www.slashgear.com/augen-the-b...in-90-1994356/
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... I just purchased my Kobo on Monday ... and then the price dropped five days later ...

OH! Am I supposed to be irritated, too? I bought my Kobo online as a pre-order sight unseen for US$149.99. Received it on time, BUT IT WENT ON SALE SHORTLY AFTERWARD! I guess I should be yelling and screaming bloody murder! Because people can now purchase it for US$149.99 MINUS a $20 GC MINUS $10 in Borders Rewards points, dropping the "bottom line" to $119.99.

I could have returned my Kobo to Borders within their 60-day return period, and purchased one at the new price!

NO, I am not irritated in the slightest with Borders. Nor will I be if they drop the price of the Kobo for the upcoming holiday season.

It is called "life." Get on with it. The market fluctuates. Use and enjoy your electronics.
Um ... what an out-of-proportion response this is. I assure you that I'm well aware of what "life" is ... and voicing my displeasure via a respectful email was well within my rights. I didn't "demand" a resolution ... I simply let them know what had happened.

And ... just so you know ... I did get an email back from Chapters/Indigo saying that if I purchased the Kobo online, they would be happy to issue a refund ... but if I purchased it in-store, I should call the store itself. I haven't called them yet ... but may do so tomorrow.

I am very happy with my Kobo ... but I can use any savings I can get ... and if I get a store credit, I'll be very happy. If the store didn't know about the sale ... and they are reluctant to give me a credit, I'm fully prepared to live with it. [Sorry to burst your sanctimonious bubble.]

Now ... perhaps we can move on?

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I bought my Kobo at $149 on May 1 ... so I'm not annoyed the price has dropped. At the time, the Kindle 2 was $259 + shipping and the Kobo a great bargain. It still does everything I bought it for and I am enjoying reading on it. If my friends can pick one up for less, I'm delighted. And giving me direct library access, the somewhat different selection of ebooks from Kobobooks, and a stand-in as secondary reader ... I'm chuffed!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote