Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Hey, hello:)

I guess I should have done this before reading that big 47 page stickied thread in the which reader should I buy? forum

I've learned a bit mostly how confused I am, in what ereader would be good for me as a legally blind person who wants my ereader to handle the most public library formats that I can for under $250

In doing research I gathered what may be the biggest list of ereaders that _I_ have seen anyways so far just company, product and a link

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...en&output=html

and a bunch of the comparison charts out there plus written comparisons and other things (at end) relating to low vision and ereaders on this other research page

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AS...emY0em00&hl=en

In my latest tack it is strange to me, how few devices are listed by adobe or mobipocket as being capable of reading the drm versions compared to the charts...

same thing for ereaders actually capable of playing audiobooks, at least recognized by overdrive to do so

so from my backwards look it seems I must choose from Nook, or Sony to get the full ADE and mp3/wma but I still want mobi even if non drm...

Been looking at these:
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/devices/
http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...okdevices.aspx

http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...ledevices.aspx

I guess I'll figure it out

take care everybody
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Tom!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Tom! and welcome to the forum!
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!

The names eric, actually.. in resurrecting an old user name I forgot you might read it as tom ereader when it was meant originally as tome reader back in the day when books were paper and ink only except maybe microfiche
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Eric. Best of luck with your eventual choice of reader. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Have you seen the matrix in the Wiki ?

E-book_Reader_Matrix
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Eric and welcome to MobileRead. Great to see you here.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome !
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
tomereader
Zealot

Have you seen the matrix in the Wiki ?

Yes and it kinda confused me on the drm supported area

In the 47 (now 49) page thread on 8+ ereaders compared I was answered that ereaders can only have ONE drm but there are lots of places where there are 2 even if it is ereader or wolf plus ADE or Mobi in a few spots it looks like the unit supports BOTH ADE and Mobi..

one place there is a definite OR another (I missed it first time a / to suggest either or and another where there is nothing to imply they aren't both on the same unit (think that was the one with two versions you have to choose)

why cant a manufacturer make proprietary SD cards so you buy machine Librarian's Aide with sd card ADE plus sd card Mobi and sd card overdrive they make more money at point of sale without having to make their own "book club" to sell you stuff........
Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but yes you can have a device where both mobi and epub can be read, but only one of them is a drm version.

for instance the Gen3 can either read mobi drm OR epub drm - but not both on the same firmware. It's a contractual issue.

other devices may and probably will differ ....
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but yes you can have a device where both mobi and epub can be read, but only one of them is a drm version.
Exactly.
Unless it's un other drm for mobi, not subject to the "don't use another drm" clause.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
GeoffC

Welcome Billy ... can you delete that link in your signature please ....

Ah - a total deletion ... !!!!

Last edited by GeoffC; 07-22-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
tomereader
Zealot

Yes I realize now and your info tallies with what the 8+ answer was->

A device can only have one drm, the other "main" format will be in the non drm format

i was just trying to say that the matrix at first glance APPEARS to say that some models will do both and that was what was confusing to me....