Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Getting a PRS-505 for $150

Anybody looking to get a PRS-505 probably already knows about this deal, but I just found out about it today and am excited. I searched FatWallet for Sony Reader deals and found this: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/924275

I know Sony does these new credit card sign-up deals often, but here's the current one. As long as you don't already have a Sony (Visa) Card, you can sign up and get a $150 credit after you buy a PRS-505/SC through their Sony Rewards store (and if you spend $500 or more each month for 6 months they'll throw another $200 credit on there, which is over twice as good as my current rewards card). I've been having trouble choosing between Kindle and Sony, but I think this makes the choice pretty simple.

Just wanted to share my excitement before I beg my wife to approve and head over to the Sony website to order my PRS-505!
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey, congrats on your new Sony. Be sure and let us know how you like it once you get it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
That's a good deal.

At the end of 2008, it was $100 and the other $100 was for something like $1,200 charged within 3 months (I forget exactly). I did get both $100s.

Then I saw in the beginning of 2009, there was no more mention of that second rebate.

So yours is a good Sony Card deal.

P.S. I really like my $200-after-rebate PRS-505.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Good for you and hope you enjoy your new Sony - I know you will!!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Willie Aames
Willie Aames began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
Just did the same - $150 was too hard to pass up. Originally, wanted the K2 simply for it's newspaper functionality, but then I found Calibre. Digital versions of the NYT, WP, Economist, etc, in a format I design - Kovid is a rockstar and will be getting a donation from me.

This site was an amazing resource in helping find that and ultimately steering me towards the 505. Thanks again to all.
Willie Aames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

I got my wife's blessing, but I'm still waiting for the Sony Rewards site to let me register. I'm not sure if it just needs a day or two for my new credit card info to become active, or if I need to receive my physical card in the mail and activate it first. Either way, I'm hoping the deal doesn't expire before I get a chance to order.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Willie Aames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
I got my wife's blessing, but I'm still waiting for the Sony Rewards site to let me register. I'm not sure if it just needs a day or two for my new credit card info to become active, or if I need to receive my physical card in the mail and activate it first. Either way, I'm hoping the deal doesn't expire before I get a chance to order.
I ran into the same issue (in fact, my card still won't register after 6 days). Here's what I did:

Logged into my Sony Rewards account. (Assuming you would need to create one if you don't already have) and added the PRS-505 to my cart. When I checked out, it asked for a credit card, with the default option Sony Rewards. Putting the card info in there worked (you need all the info on the acceptance form, including CVV).

Not guaranteeing this is the proper approach, but the language on the offer form seems to indicate as such. I've printed out the offer just in case there are any issues.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Aames View Post
I ran into the same issue (in fact, my card still won't register after 6 days). Here's what I did:

Logged into my Sony Rewards account. (Assuming you would need to create one if you don't already have) and added the PRS-505 to my cart. When I checked out, it asked for a credit card, with the default option Sony Rewards. Putting the card info in there worked (you need all the info on the acceptance form, including CVV).

Not guaranteeing this is the proper approach, but the language on the offer form seems to indicate as such. I've printed out the offer just in case there are any issues.
Ok! So you paid the $299.99 plus tax on the Sony card, and the proof that it worked will come when the $150 is credited to your card, right?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Willie Aames

Quote:
Ok! So you paid the $299.99 plus tax on the Sony card, and the proof that it worked will come when the $150 is credited to your card, right?
That's the plan. However, given how smooth the process has been, I do have a feeling it will require some phone calls to the Sony Card customer service in the near future
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Zero9
Zealot

My main hesitation came from how a similar deal worked back in 2007 with the PRS-500. For that one you specifically had to wait for the card, activate it, and register a new Sony Rewards account using the new card to do so. BUT, this current offer doesn't say anything about. In fact, when I got approved it said "Be sure to use your card today to take advantage of this offer".

So I'm not sure what I'll so. I wish they were clearer about these things.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Could you use this for the PRS-700 too, or is it only the PRS-505?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Could you use this for the PRS-700 too, or is it only the PRS-505?
The promo page specifically says you must buy the PRS-505/SC, so it even has to be the silver color. Too bad it didn't include the 700.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Willie Aames

Quote:
My main hesitation came from how a similar deal worked back in 2007 with the PRS-500. For that one you specifically had to wait for the card, activate it, and register a new Sony Rewards account using the new card to do so. BUT, this current offer doesn't say anything about. In fact, when I got approved it said "Be sure to use your card today to take advantage of this offer".

So I'm not sure what I'll so. I wish they were clearer about these things.
Yeah, I'm living on the edge a bit on this one. You may need to register as you need at least 50 Sony rewards points to add an item to your cart, and I'm assuming registering adds those points. But, I'll worry about all that later, as my 505 arrives today, and I need to burn through my last pBook before it arrives.

FYI - My card was finally able to register today, without receiving the physical card (after ~5 days).
Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Zero9
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Aames View Post
...FYI - My card was finally able to register today, without receiving the physical card (after ~5 days).
That's good to know! I'll be playing it safe and waiting for my card to register, but I'm VERY jealous that you'll have your PRS-505 already.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Why oh why does Sony not do this deal for its Canadian customers?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote