Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #976
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
For those of you interested in G. Norman Lippert's James Potter series!
I think that should be James Potter and the Charlotte's Web
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #977
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool assorted stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Nice, I'll look forward to that. Thanks.
Me too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
This morning I was sorting out book on my Kindle and I came across Ghost Story. OK, I'll just re-read a few pages.................... 3 hours later.............

Looks like I'm re-reading the whole book.
Well, you're having fun, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Last night I finally got back to the Dresdenverse! Read "Love Hurts" in Side Jobs then dove into Changes. Only read a little before I forced myself to go to bed.

Spoiler:
I'm still not a Susan fan. Just sayin'.

It's good to be back. I missed Harry and Mouse.

Just realized that once I read this one, I can finish Side Jobs with "Aftermath".
Glad to see you back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Finished up Dead Beats last night, and it was another standout--maybe the best so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Yes, Dead Beat is something special
And besides being awesome it also introduces quite a few recurring characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Nice tweet from Jim last Friday:
Quote:
xxxxxxxxx (Loading Cold Days 96 percent) xxxxxxx---> Should finish it this weekend!
YAHOO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those of you out of Dresden eBooks and looking for something to read, read Wool Omnibus. You'll really enjoy it.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #978
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Loving Changes.

Spoiler:
The exchange between Harry and the Eebs had me laughing out loud. And I love anything that showcases Mouse in all his furry blue-glowing glory.

Still not a Susan fan, but I've warmed up to her.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #979
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Loving Changes.
It certainly does
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #980
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
It certainly does
*sigh*

Nicely done. And accurate. I believe it's why I'm single. (At least, that's going to be my current excuse. Thanks for that.)

CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #981
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool The James Potter Series

Quote:
For those of you interested in G. Norman Lippert's James Potter series!
I don't know how/why I missed the below item when it first appeared?
[oops! I already posted this back on April 8th, sorry for my mental lapse.]

From G. Norman Lippert's Blog on Facebook.
Quote:
April 7, 2012
James Potter and the Morrigan Web
You all know I can't stay away from the James Potter world forever. Now that "Ruins of Camelot" is out, I have finally officially returned to the JP series and resumed work on "James Potter and the Morrigan Web".

This book will take us back to Hogwarts, however we will find the school term a rather different experience than ever before. In keeping with the theme of creating parallels between the JP books and their HP counterparts, we will be exploring some additional magical schools (as Ms. Rowling did in "Goblet of Fire").

I won't give too much away, except to say that we should expect to visit some new locations and perhaps even encounter some old familiar faces.

Additionally, we'll be sinking a bit further into the megaplot-- the over-arching story that comprises the entire series. This will involve some serious questions about Petra-- can she really control the evil that lives in her?-- and Judith, the Lady of the Lake-- what is her continuing plan for chaos, and how will it involve her "sister fates", Petra and Izzy?

Of course, we will also be exploring in much more detail the expanding relationships of James, Rose, Ralph, Zane, Scorpius, and many others, including (finally!) Lily, the youngest Potter, who will be attending Hogwarts for the first time.

One last tidbit that might prove interesting: this year will see some much more active involvement from adult Harry himself. We will find that his involvement in the events at the end of "Vault of Destinies" have placed him in a tenuous position with the Ministry, thus forcing him to get rather more creative in his efforts, not only as head Auror, but as husband and father. Harry will prove, methinks, that he is still the stuff of heroes.

If you would like to follow along as the new tale is written, I will be posting page counts, hints and tidbits on the James Potter Series facebook page and the official Hogwarts Next Generation Twitter feed. Sign up, spread the word, and look for the new book this Autumn!

And as always, onward and upward!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-25-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: To inform folks that this post was a duplicate of an earlier post.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #982
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files - Cold Days

Two quotes from F* Yeah Dresden Files!

Quote:
Cold Days’ estimated release date

Jim’s deadline for the “Cold Days” manuscript is July 1st. Penguin hasn’t told him when they plan to publish the finished book (revisions, printing, and distribution will take a few months), but I’d imagine fall 2012 is likely. Maybe Octoberish? It’ll all come down to what Penguin’s publishing schedule is like. A lot of art and science go into juggling which book comes out when.

I have no idea where the January 2013 date came from, but I’ve heard nothing from Jim or Penguin to give it any validity. It’s simply too early to know.

Of course, fans will have plenty of new material to get them through the year! In May, June, and August, we’ll get a trilogy of Dresden short stories in which Bigfoot is Harry’s client. There will also be a novella from Molly’s POV, set between “Ghost Story” and “Cold Days,” though its anthology doesn’t have a release date yet.

Jim has also been hard at work on two new series, which he was “auditioning” for Alera’s old slot in his writing schedule. You can read more about them here. They’ve been taking up the lion’s share of his writing time since “Ghost Story,” and I can’t wait to see how they develop! But now, he’s plugging away at “Cold Days” in earnest. You’ll get your book before you know it!

....and one from Amazon.co.uk

Quote:
Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel

This title has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-25-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #983
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con

SPOILER ALERT!
Most of, but not all of the many spoilers in these videos are concerned with Changes.

Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con (1 of 6)

To be able to see this video full-screen, go here.

Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con (2 of 6)

Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con (3 of 6)

Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con (4 of 6)

Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con (5 of 6)

Jim Butcher Panel at Dragon*Con (6 of 6)

The person who recorded this event had obviously never heard of a tripod or monopod, sorry!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #984
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool COLD DAYS is done!

Quoting jim-butcher.com:

Quote:
Quote:
Jim Butcher @longshotauthor
Mmmm, homemade fruit rollups! Also, COLD DAYS is done.
News
Jul 30, 2012

COLD DAYS is done!

Jim has sent the last chapter of “Cold Days” to his betas! Hopefully, we’ll be able to follow up this post with a release date announcement very soon!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #985
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Quoting jim-butcher.com:

Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #986
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm still going with January 2013 for the release of Cold Days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #987
The_Book_Doctor
Nameless Being

Wow! Ii took me quite a while to read this thread. Actually, I started reading at the beginning and was unable to stop till I got to the end. It's a great thread and all the info posted is really interesting!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #988
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Check out this Jim Butcher Q&A from August 8, 2011

Bitten By Books- Jim Butcher Q&A (a year old) Caution, has spoilers!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #989
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've read through Death Masks so far, and the appropriate short stories from Side Jobs. Took a break for the Mobile Rad book club selection, and plan on continuing on with the series.

Also watched the TV series this weekend. I thought that Fool Moon was one of the better episodes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #990
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool A 3-way tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I've read through Death Masks so far, and the appropriate short stories from Side Jobs. Took a break for the Mobile Rad book club selection, and plan on continuing on with the series.

Also watched the TV series this weekend. I thought that Fool Moon was one of the better episodes.
Glad to hear that you're continuing.

Concerning the TV series I tend to favor these 3 episodes:

Hair of the Dog
Rules of Engagment
The other Dick

In all 3 cases I think the main reason I favor the above episodes is because of the actresses who are guest starring. Hmmm...and that makes me feel that I need to add Bad Blood to the list as well.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-06-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add info

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy