Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
Footnotes in odt->epub conversion

Hi,
Sorry if the question has already been asked (and sorry for my poor english)

When converting an odt book into epub with Calibre, the footnotes are not correctly processed: you can go to the footnote, but there is no link to go back to the main text

So I tried to make hyperlinks at the end of each notes to go back to the main text, but unfortunately when I click on the hyperlink I go back to the beginning of the book, not to the hyperlinked word.

Is there a way to make footnotes and hyperlinks work correctly with Calibre?
Thanks
Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The issue with hving a link on the foot note to go back to the text is multiple places can reference the same footnote. Having a link to go back wouldn't make much sense as it would only point to one location not the many that could reference that footnote. This is something best handled by the reader software. E.g. having the reader provide a go back navigation option much like a web browser does.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Unfortunately, some readers have no back button.
I have a Sony PRS-650, and it's impossible (afaik) to go back to the text after entering the footnote.
Currently I edit the book with sigil, but it's a real pain.
I have also tested writer2epub, but the styles are destroyed so I prefer not to use it.

It's really a pity that Calibre isn't processing the footnotes correctly because the odt->epub conversion is giving a very clean and good-looking result, in my opinion.

Last edited by Bidibulle; 01-18-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidibulle View Post
Unfortunately, some readers have no back button.
I have a Sony PRS-650, and it's impossible (afaik) to go back to the text after entering the footnote.
Currently I edit the book with sigil, but it's a real pain.
I have also tested writer2epub, but the styles are destroyed so I prefer not to use it.

It's really a pity that Calibre isn't processing the footnotes correctly because the odt->epub conversion is giving a very clean and good-looking result, in my opinion.

The 650 has a history menu which can go back to the previous page. Option Button -> 'Go To' menu item -> History.

Personally I just wish the epub spec group and device manufacturers would make footnotes/endnotes a bit more of a priority. The discussions I've read on it are fairly depressing.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Bidibulle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
The 650 has a history menu which can go back to the previous page. Option Button -> 'Go To' menu item -> History.
Wow. Thanks a lot, I didn't know that option.
Advert