Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Why are italics not retained when converting to RTF?

I mentioned this problem in my earlier topic, was curious what the cause is and if it will ever be fixed. Even in BookDesigner if you output to RTF, the italics remain as well as bolds. Only in Calibre have I come across this.

A shame because I need RTF's, since I like using Word to fix errors and typos.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you want to use MSWord for editing then SaveAs Webpage-filtered rather than RTF. The resulting HTML file can be imported to Calibre just as easily as an RTF. Italics, bold, centre- and right-alignment should all be retained correctly.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Ticallion
Connoisseur

Thanks but that's not exactly what I'm looking to do. I create books in BookDesigner, not with Calibre. I have a bunch of LRF files I'm redoing to add table of contents to and to fix all the errors in them. So I need to output to RTF with Calibre to fix them up. Would be nice if Calibre could output to HTML as well though.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post
Would be nice if Calibre could output to HTML as well though.
Well... You could output to ePub and change the extension to zip and unzip.

Or you could could output to ePub and use Sigil to do edits and then convert the ePub. This is what I do when creating Mobi files for my Kindle (source to epub to sigil for tweaking/editing to mobi).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... Would be nice if Calibre could output to HTML as well though.
Ah I misunderstood. Calibre will output HTML if you use the Calibre [Convert] - [Debug] option whilst converting your LRF to EPUB. Ignore the created EPUB but go to the Debug directory you specified and search the subdirectories (probably the INPUT subdir) to get at the HTML stripped out of your LRF.
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Quote:
Would be nice if Calibre could output to HTML as well though.
Ah I misunderstood. Calibre will output HTML if you use the Calibre [Convert] - [Debug] option whilst converting your LRF to EPUB. Ignore the created EPUB but go to the Debug directory you specified and search the subdirectories (probably the INPUT subdir) to get at the HTML stripped out of your LRF.
I use this feature often and grab the html out of the input sub-directory of the directory I specified in debug for various books. I open the html in Sigil, split the file, save as epub then run a quick epub to epub conversion to set font size, indents etc to the format I like.

Every file is converted to html at some point.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Ticallion
Connoisseur

The Debug option gives me about 300 xhtml files and such. I know they can be merged, somehow, but I have about 30 or so more LRF books to reformat and work into BookDesigner here. Would be nice to simply have an html output and have one file to work with.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Debug option gives me about 300 xhtml files and such. I know they can be merged, somehow, but I have about 30 or so more LRF books to reformat and work into BookDesigner here. Would be nice to simply have an html output and have one file to work with.
That's odd. I used the Debug option on one of my own LRF-only books yesterday. The Input subdir contained the book source in a single XHTML file with a single CSS file. There was also an XML file, a NCX file and an OPF file, all of which I ignored.

I have only had cause to use this method a few times and I've always ended up with the source in a single file. However as I don't know anything much about the innards of LRFs I don't know whether I've just been lucky.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
LRF can definitely result in more than one html file (depends on how it is structured internally).

As for italics, probably a bug, but since user_none, who wrote the RTF output plugin is no longer active, it's unlikely to get fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Ticallion
Connoisseur

In another topic, someone said that this bug didn't exist in Calibre 0.6 which had a different version of the plugin. Maybe you could just implement the older version of it again in the next Calibre release if that's true. I'll try to dig up one of the 0.6 versions and test it out sometime today to confirm.

Edit: Just tested version 0.6.55 and the poster was right. Converted LRF to RTF and all formatting was retained, including bold and italics. So it seems to be a problem with the newer version of the plugin.

Last edited by Ticallion; 07-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for italics, probably a bug, but since user_none, who wrote the RTF output plugin is no longer active, it's unlikely to get fixed.
user_none was helpful when I had a problem going from epub to rtf. See this thread. (Don't tell anyone, but his email address is there). If this doesn't get fixed, I'll put it on my list of things to look at. I planned to look at the conversion part of Calibre code anyway. I took a preliminary look at the rtf conversion code at the time of that earlier thread, and this might be a good place to pick it up again.

If I do it, however, don't expect it anytime soon (if ever). I have some merge code I want to fix first (was sidetracked by an interesting recipe/mechanize problem), plus my development machine is still partly busted. I don't even know if I can fix it.

If anyone wants to make it more likely that I look at it, first, make sure there is a bug report and post its number in this thread. Second, do the conversion with debug on for a small test file with italics, and post the stage at which the italics are lost. That should help narrow down where the problem is located.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Just tested version 0.6.55 and the poster was right. Converted LRF to RTF and all formatting was retained, including bold and italics. So it seems to be a problem with the newer version of the plugin.
That's helpful. Can you confirm if the loss of italics occurs only during lrf->rtf or does it occur during all format conversions (epub->rtf, etc) when going to rtf?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
acanthicus
Connoisseur
acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-350, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That's helpful. Can you confirm if the loss of italics occurs only during lrf->rtf or does it occur during all format conversions (epub->rtf, etc) when going to rtf?
I think I am the poster, Ticallion mentioned. I tried to convert Epub and PRC to RTF. In early 0.7 versions italics were completely missing. I tried another version (0.7.5) for converting Epub -> RTF. In that version the </i> tag is translated in a paragraph end mark.
acanthicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by acanthicus View Post
I think I am the poster, Ticallion mentioned. I tried to convert Epub and PRC to RTF. In early 0.7 versions italics were completely missing. I tried another version (0.7.5) for converting Epub -> RTF. In that version the </i> tag is translated in a paragraph end mark.
It would be helpful to know at what stage of the conversion the problem occurs. Turn on debug and see which of the different outputs has the problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
acanthicus
Connoisseur
acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-350, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It would be helpful to know at what stage of the conversion the problem occurs. Turn on debug and see which of the different outputs has the problem.
Hmm, I did that (0.7.5, epub and prc->rtf). All 4 stages show the italics correctly.

But I notice that after conversion of prc to rtf, there are no additional paragraph end marks at the end of former italic phrases like after conversion of epub to rtf. Nevertheless former italics are missing.
prc-->rtf: bold is missing; italic is missing
epub-->rtf: bold is present; italic is missing
Hope that helps...
acanthicus is offline   Reply With Quote