Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Dunno why this topic is PRS600 All Sony Readers use it..
OMG, I'm so screwed! Anyone read this in the help notes?

Notes
Reader Library is not supported by the following environments:
  • An operating system other than those included above
  • Personally built computer or operating system
  • Upgraded manufacturer-installed operating system
  • Multi-boot environment
  • Multi-monitor environment
The computer I'm using right now ticks 3/5 of those boxes!
Welp, that'll teach you!

I don't know why it's here either. That was why I was confused about what software the OP was discussing. It shouldn't be annotated as PRS-600.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not install 3.1 if you want your eBooks in LRX as you cannot access them with eBook Library 3.1 while the store has not yet been upgraded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
OMG, I'm so screwed! Anyone read this in the help notes?

Notes

Reader Library is not supported by the following environments:
  • An operating system other than those included above
  • Personally built computer or operating system
  • Upgraded manufacturer-installed operating system
  • Multi-boot environment
  • Multi-monitor environment
The computer I'm using right now ticks 3/5 of those boxes!
Well, it just ain't true! I'm running it on a personally built computer with 3 monitors.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not install 3.1 if you want your eBooks in LRX as you cannot access them with eBook Library 3.1 while the store has not yet been upgraded.

The old store/software is going down at 2 PM (Eastern?) in any case
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll have a look at the store a little after 2pm since I am in Eastern time.
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Read the Help file for Version 3.1

Be sure to click on Help in the menu and then Reader Library Help.

There appears to be a lot of new features in 3.1. It appears that one will be able to buy ePub books in many places now, not just the Sony eBook Store. The 3.1 Reader now allows many stores to authorize purchases for this software.

It would be great if Barnes and Noble plus Sony had interchanbeable ePub books Then we could price shop between them for the same Sony PRS-900.

It would be wanting too much if Amazon joined the ePub wave.

Between this new software and the Sony PRS-900 it appears that Sony has jumped way ahead technologically compared to Amazon and BN. I eagerly await delivery of my PRS-900. My old PRS-505 is headed for the grandkids.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
jrd4849
jrd4849 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
From today's email:
"As a result of these changes, the store will be unavailable for a short period of time starting Thursday, December 10th at 2:00pm PST. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience. Please visit the Reader Store on December 11th to download the new Reader Library 3.1 software and browse for your next great read!"
jrd4849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd4849 View Post
From today's email:
"As a result of these changes, the store will be unavailable for a short period of time starting Thursday, December 10th at 2:00pm PST. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience. Please visit the Reader Store on December 11th to download the new Reader Library 3.1 software and browse for your next great read!"
Thanks. I was just checking on that. It is 2:00 PM PST -- that's 5:00 PM EST.

Full announcement is here: http://ebookstore.sony.com/promotion...nce_email.html
Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

It would be wanting too much if Amazon joined the ePub wave.
Not really. It's my belief Amazon will support epub in the near future, depending on how much traction B&N gets (along with Sony).
Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not really. It's my belief Amazon will support epub in the near future, depending on how much traction B&N gets (along with Sony).
I think Amazon won't go ePub because then they would lose control of where DRMed eBooks have to be bought.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Amazon won't go ePub because then they would lose control of where DRMed eBooks have to be bought.

I'm sure they don't/won't want to. But I really don't see as they will have a choice if they expect to stay in the ebook business. We'll have to wait and see, only time will tell.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Reader Library is not supported by the following environments:[LIST][*]Personally built computer or operating system [*]Multi-boot environment [*]Multi-monitor environment
Uh-oh. I guess I'm in trouble because I have all three of those. Three strikes and I'm out? ;-)
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #28
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
I can bet on it, knowing how Amazon tries to get the long tail of the business. If they don't do it, they will loose a ton of money from those that use a different hardware. They will probably charge a little bit more for epub than for Kindle, but, sooner or later they will come up with it!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdparis View Post
damn, i spoke/installed/upgraded too soon.

I plugged in my eReader, and guess what? Software crashed. No GUI, etc. etc. Like the old software. Why can't they get this right?

PS, I'm on a late 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard (and I am NOT running in 64bit mode, which I found out before is not compatible with the Sony software).
I'm running the Sony eLibrary on an intel based Mac using the latest iteration of Snow Leopard in pristine 64 bit mode without a problem.

My iMac is one of the irst intel macs. That would seem to be the only difference between my situation & yours, & I can't imagine why it would have any effect.

Which makes me wonder whether you might have some other kid of conflict.

Edit: the Sonys I connect are not 600s. They are a 300 and a 505.

Last edited by Harmon; 12-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Uh-oh. I guess I'm in trouble because I have all three of those. Three strikes and I'm out? ;-)
It seems the less strikes, you're out. All you need to be is a PRS-500 user and you're out on Mac - despite not being out on PCs with more strikes against them..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote