Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
international-orders.com

I just read about a website called international-orders.com in an article by Stephen Fry on The Guardian Online which apparently delivers a great many electronic goods usually available only in the States around the world. A search for the Sony Reader came up with nothing, but the Kindle is listed. I haven't had the opportunity to check out whether or not this means they will in fact - somehow - deliver the Kindle outside of the US, but it would be more than a little interesting if they did.

Probably it doesn't, but nonetheless given there's a fair number of people here - including myself - who have difficulty getting hold of some US technology outside of the States, it's still a site worth checking out.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buying a Kindle has never been a problem - one can always buy from eBay. The issue, if you live outside the US, is that you can't buy any books from Amazon for it, and Amazon's bookstore is probably the Kindle's biggest "attraction" - that, or its "Whispernet" wireless content delivery, which is equally unusable outside the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Well, Harry, while you can't use the whispernet features (ie amazon.com purchase/download and wikipedia etc) you still should be able to upload books to it via the card or the usb cable. I'm outside the us and don't have a kindle so I can't confirm...but that's my understanding.

The kindle has a full keyboard which can be used for annotations. That's a nice feature not included in the Cybook I use. There are also other "application" such as a calendar available for the kindle which again make use of the keyboard.

There are reasons one might want to have a kindle over and above the so called whispernet features. I don't plan to buy one, but certainly could see why someone would.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree with Harry, that a Kindle is not all that wonderful if you do not live in the USA. And Gary, given that you live in the uK, you'd be best with a Sony Reader PRS-505 due out September 20th in the UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
Well, Harry, while you can't use the whispernet features (ie amazon.com purchase/download and wikipedia etc) you still should be able to upload books to it via the card or the usb cable. I'm outside the us and don't have a kindle so I can't confirm...but that's my understanding.

The kindle has a full keyboard which can be used for annotations. That's a nice feature not included in the Cybook I use. There are also other "application" such as a calendar available for the kindle which again make use of the keyboard.

There are reasons one might want to have a kindle over and above the so called whispernet features. I don't plan to buy one, but certainly could see why someone would.

No .... you can't order ebooks from the Amazon Kindle store unless you have a valid US address and credit card.

I don't use Whispernet much at all, however, it would be rather disappointing not to be able to order books directly from Amazon for the Kindle, even if I did have to download them to the computer and transfer them.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Technically, you only need a valid US credit card on file. You can then make all y our purchases thru gift card balances (purchased via any method from amazon and loaded into your account). Since you can pick up "credit cards" here as gift cards or refillables (probably at any convenience store), I suspect you could get someone in the states to purchase one for you (assuming you knew them and fronted the money). Or register for a card that is sent to a friend's address and just manage it online.

It essentially turns the kindle into a download via USB tool, the same as the Sony.

However, it might be wise to hold off on either until year end, in case the rumors of an EU version were to be true. If nothing else, if either company added wifi, it might be an improvement there (sure, it will kill battery life when on and is a PITA to find an open spot, but EU wireless phone rates/usage is only good in comparison to the old wired phone policies/rates).

No doubt many wish they'd chosen AT&T instead of Sprint, but the cost would have been much higher (and reflected in the book cost). It would have meant the potential for EU was there from the start (much as the jail-broken iphones), but greatly reduced coverage in the States as a tradeoff.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
You can make annotations on the ebookwise 1150 with its stylus. And they can be purchased very cheaply.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote