Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Fujitsu Pencentra 130: a Poor Man's Iliad

Yes,that's right. I got _another_ gadget.

The Pencentra 130 is a tablet HPC with a 131Mhz MIPS CPU running WinCE 2.11. I'm told that the the original market was industrial, which I can beleive. The unit is very sturdy without being too heavy (1kg). The main reason I got it was that the unit without accessories was going for less than $20 on Ebay. It has 2 PC card slots, serial, USB, PS2, modem, as well as headphone and microphone jacks. All in all, it's nice.

It has an 8" touchscreen, and at first I wasn't happy with the screen. It seemed too reflective, and the colors seemed washed out. But after having used it for a couple hours, I've gotten used to the screen. I haven't tried it as an ebook reader yet because I forgot to get a CF to PCMCIA converter for it. But I did open Pocket Word, and used the on-screen keyboard to enter a few lines of text. I think it will be quite adequate as an ebook reader.

Here is an ebay auction with some pictures. If you get one from this seller, the power supply will not be included.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What are you using for a power supply? Maybe I should dust off my old Dauphin DTR-1... nah, I'll stick with the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Addendum

I forgot about the screen controls.

The contrast and backlight have their own hotkeys on the touchscreen. It's easy to change the screen from an unreadable condition without being able to see it. Also, the backlight is really a sidelight, and has 4 settings: off, low, medium, and high.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
What are you using for a power supply? Maybe I should dust off my old Dauphin DTR-1... nah, I'll stick with the Kindle.
I still had the PSU from my old Fujitsu Stylistic 1000. Fortunately, it was compatible. Fujitsu must have had an outbreak of common sense at some point.

P.S. I still have the Stylistic 1000. It's only about 2 years younger than your DTR-1.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Fujitsu is very nice about keeping compatibility w/ devices --- I've amassed quite a collection of power adapters since getting a Point 510 ages ago, and am still using them w/ my Stylistic 4110.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Whether the PSU for this device can be sourced from anywhere? And what would be its approx cost.

I am really thinking of getting this one as i need a cheap ebook reader, which i will use just for one year. Then will switch to something better. However i am from India, so should arrange for batteries and someone to get them here to my place..

Please help...TIA
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Interesting. Will it handle PDFs, Nate?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It can't do PDFs because of the CPU and OS. So far as I know, there is no PDF reader for it.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Whether the PSU for this device can be sourced from anywhere? And what would be its approx cost.

I am really thinking of getting this one as i need a cheap ebook reader, which i will use just for one year. Then will switch to something better. However i am from India, so should arrange for batteries and someone to get them here to my place..

Please help...TIA
You can find the power supplies on Ebay. Most made by this manufacturer will be compatible. The one I am using is from my old Fujitsu Stylistic tablet.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Update

The CF card adapter arrived today. I've been trying MobiReader v4.8. So far the 8" screen is very nice. I can fit a lot of text on the screen.

I don't yet have a working internet connection. I know the Wifi card works, and I'm pretty sure the driver was installed correctly. But I can't get a connection. I'll keep working on it.

BTW, there are 2 PDF readers for this device. So far I have not gotten either to work.But I think at least one will.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What is the maximum memory expandability supported by the device Nate? And how is the page-flipping response of the device.

I find this device extremely attractive. It has USB support, also supposedly pdf enabled, and screen itself it a BIG-GRIN factor about this device. It truly is an iLiad alternative at a killer price. I wonder why anyone else has not grabbed the device yet...

If only i could get this item listed in ebay India too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The CF card adapter arrived today. I've been trying MobiReader v4.8. So far the 8" screen is very nice. I can fit a lot of text on the screen.

I don't yet have a working internet connection. I know the Wifi card works, and I'm pretty sure the driver was installed correctly. But I can't get a connection. I'll keep working on it.

BTW, there are 2 PDF readers for this device. So far I have not gotten either to work.But I think at least one will.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't know for certain what the max storage is because the largest I have is 2GB. (I don't have anything bigger because I the jump in price per GB isn't worth it yet.) The 2GB card worked, and I would bet a 4GB card would work as well. Since the PenCentra 130 has 2 slots, this means either 4GB or 8GB of storage. Also, it has 8MB of internal Flash storage.

The PenCentra came with 16MB of RAM. I've seen a 32MB RAM upgrade on Ebay for $50. This would bring the RAM up to 48MB. I don't think it's worth the cost. The idea behind the RAM upgrade is so you could install more programs. I install very little in RAM. Instead, I put it on the CF card.

P.S. You shouldn't buy it for PDF because I don't have it running yet.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
Prash
Zealot

It's amazing to see so many interesting features in a device of that caliber, it's almost an iLiad itself!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Not 100% convinced the 4GB card would work --- when I was using my Fujitsu Stylistic 2300, it would boot from a 2GB card, but not a 4GB CF card in a CF-IDE adapter. Fortunately I got a dual-card-adapter, so I put the 4GB card in the second slot.

Wish I could use the adapter in my Stylistic 4110, but I don't have install media and I've not been able to find free software which I can grok which'll clone to a 4GB card from the 30GB drive.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0078.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	1,023.6 KB
ID:	14796   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0079.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	14797