Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Would it be completely unfair to point out that according to Opitzs' post in relation to the above that Vugtitan may actually be one of the old dudes in the balcony...
The names are Statler and Waldorf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statler_and_Waldorf

I don't believe he/she is one of them. They saved their most disparaging remarks for Fozzy, not the Kobo developers. And to the best of my knowledge, Kobo has not hired Fozzy Bear as a software developer.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #47
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"And to the best of my knowledge, Kobo has not hired Fozzy Bear as a software developer."

I concur, though I am forced to conclude that at times the possibility thereof would explain rather a lot. However, lest they develop "special" firmware just for my reader, I must make obvious my admiration for their efforts to date. Simply put, it ain't bad, but they get a lot of crap from us because it ain't perfect. OTOH, if they integrate that snack dispenser, who knows...
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #48
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
"And to the best of my knowledge, Kobo has not hired Fozzy Bear as a software developer."

I concur, though I am forced to conclude that at times the possibility thereof would explain rather a lot. However, lest they develop "special" firmware just for my reader, I must make obvious my admiration for their efforts to date. Simply put, it ain't bad, but they get a lot of crap from us because it ain't perfect. OTOH, if they integrate that snack dispenser, who knows...

But, using the same logic as the OP. We have not seen a denial from Kobo that Fozzy has been hired either in software development or elsewhere in the organization, so clearly he must be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
I feel you are being disingenuous as i have never seen a single post people saying they don't want folder support or complaining that the device has it so you have been revealed.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #49
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I just don't find it important... I don't keep alot of books at once on my ereader and find the shelf system fine.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Firstly, these are my personal opinions and comments and should not be seen as those of my employer

The Fozzy comments are amusing. For privacy reasons I cannot comment on whom may or may not be employed here, but I might have heard "Wocka Wocka Wocka!" floating through the air on a few occasions

As for the subject of folders. Firstly, 'demanding' a feature probably isn't going to endear you to the development team, 'requesting' would be better.

Secondly, there could be business reasons why folders are not yet implemented, for example; other business led features are higher priority. There are things I'd like to see implemented in the iOS app, but the priorities of the business come first, and this can push other things out of a release.

Thirdly, it could well be that folders have been previously discussed, but discounted for various reasons, for example; time taken to implement vs percentage of user base who would use that functionality, especially alongside the shelf/shelves functionality.
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #51
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Firstly, these are my personal opinions and comments and should not be seen as those of my employer

The Fozzy comments are amusing. For privacy reasons I cannot comment on whom may or may not be employed here, but I might have heard "Wocka Wocka Wocka!" floating through the air on a few occasions
Can you deny that Fozzy Bear works there?

If you can't deny that he works there, can you confirm that you can't deny that he works there?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #52
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Can you deny that Fozzy Bear works there?

If you can't deny that he works there, can you confirm that you can't deny that he works there?
I'm a gonna plead the fifth!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #53
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I just don't find it important... I don't keep alot of books at once on my ereader and find the shelf system fine.
i fear the shelf system is really for people who have a lot of time (eg unemployed) or who don't have a lot of books (eg poor or live on a council estate).these people are needlessly self centred and as it is xmas may i suggest a christmas methaphor.it is called d** in the man****** attitude and ir responsible for much angst in the world.

or else they may MTV watchers who cannot act on a non visual medium and simply like fast acting on a screen without any thought input.

others have claimed the software developers lurk here but they have not put themselves forward suggesting their lack of empathy or lack of ability.

this suggests that they need someone to focus them as by now they would have realized a basic need and a lack thereof.

i have started a petition some where else which is a secret place as i do not want spoil sports following me and try to cast ink into my clear vision with their egocentric selfishness.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #54
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
i have started a petition some where else which is a secret place as i do not want spoil sports following me and try to cast ink into my clear vision with their egocentric selfishness.
That is your prerogative of course, but don't you run against your own claim, that a majority of users prefers your system? This can't hold water if you have to exclude the majority to "stay true" to your vision.

So you would like a feature implemented, that only a minority needs. That means first of all patience and second perseverance.

You go against two major obstacles:
1. Of course the vision of the company.
Lets be honest, most, if not all, in this forum don't represent the average user, but a more or less sophisticated user. The fact is, average users would never use a folder based system, as they are a not aware it is doable, second it is too much work and third if they buy a drm protected book it would not fit in, as that is only available in ADE or Kobo desktop, but not where they can find it. Stripping DRM? Not the average user. The average user doesn't even know there is something like calibre.
Why implement a feature that benefits only a tiny group of users?

2. Features the majority wants
If a company has the time and implementation isn't too expensive, it will look what average users want. That is where this forum is important, as I really believe they look in fora like this one too see what is wanted. It is a cheap and quite reliable way to gage what users want. As you saw yourself, your idea wasn't received too well. A lot of this has to do with your language, but I think the most important fact is, that most really don't use a folder based system. And even those who are, there is no real reason to have all books with you all the time (except for real exceptions, that are very rare). I only have about a hundred books on my reader at a time, if I go on vacation, that might go up a bit, but I wouldn't even need the shelf system to organise the hundred books on the reader. So if you feel you need to have all books with you, too much for the shelf system, you really can't demand from Kobo, that they serve your every whim.

If you are not using the device for the purpose it was built, you have to first find a way to compromise, then ask if the purpose of the device can be changed. If you demand whatever you feel you need, Kobo will just (absolutely correct) decide, that it really doesn't change their situation one bit, if you buy a Kobo or not.

The internet is of course big enough, that you can find a place where you can be alone, so you don't have to bear anyone who doesn't think like you do, but I don't think, that will give more weight to your wishes, I think the opposite would be true.

So, a long post (that you'll likely ignore) later:
Grow up!

Sven
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #55
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
others have claimed the software developers lurk here but they have not put themselves forward suggesting their lack of empathy or lack of ability.

this suggests that they need someone to focus them as by now they would have realized a basic need and a lack thereof.

Dear Kobo,

Your lazy programmers are not implementing the features I require on any schedule let alone the one I am demanding. You have left me no other choice. I will now be implementing my plan to let loose a troop of monkeys wearing shearling coats. Be warned, my initial test targeted Ikea and was a huge success!

I have cleverly hidden my manifesto on the internet so that it can't be found I fully expect you to locate it and do what it requires of you. Else the monkeys are coming!

To cover my tracks, I have hijacked another users account so that I can't be traced.

Sincerely,

vugtitan
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #56
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
i fear the shelf system is really for people who have a lot of time (eg unemployed) or who don't have a lot of books (eg poor or live on a council estate).these people are needlessly self centred and as it is xmas may i suggest a christmas methaphor.it is called d** in the man****** attitude and ir responsible for much angst in the world.

or else they may MTV watchers who cannot act on a non visual medium and simply like fast acting on a screen without any thought input.

You're kidding? Right? This has to be a joke...
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #57
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You're kidding? Right? This has to be a joke...
A joke? Someone opens his heart - no - his soul to us all, world peace, too easy, stopping famine not worth the bother, shelf system, an abomination, all we need for happiness is a folder system made to his specs - and you ridicule him?
For all I know, these are the first postings of The Bible 2.0 (tm)...

Later postings dealing with hell (or alternatively monkeys wearing shearling coats harassing Kobos developers) may contain colourful animations, so you know what he'll demand next...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #58
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Dear Kobo,

Your lazy programmers are not implementing the features I require on any schedule let alone the one I am demanding. You have left me no other choice. I will now be implementing my plan to let loose a troop of monkeys wearing shearling coats. Be warned, my initial test targeted Ikea and was a huge success!

I have cleverly hidden my manifesto on the internet so that it can't be found I fully expect you to locate it and do what it requires of you. Else the monkeys are coming!

To cover my tracks, I have hijacked another users account so that I can't be traced.

Sincerely,

vugtitan
Dear Forum Members,

I hereby withdraw my threat.

It seems Kobo has threatened me with the implementation of Kobo Monkeys...

Sincerely,

vugtitan
Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #59
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Wow, either vugtitan is a far funnier person than I'd expected, or some of you need to be very careful where you go on Guy Fawkes Day and stay away from Parliament... Wonder if he wears the mask while he's posting in the forum too?

Kobo developers beware, this guy will very likely make an effort to organize your file system when you aren't looking...

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-16-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #60
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
vugtitan, please encrypt your petition as well, as i'm afraid i may blunder onto it in a game review video on BoardGameGeek or in an article on diaper candidiasis in the depths of Wikipedia and accidentally sign it without knowing what i'm doing. Encrypting it will protect it further, making it harder to sign, as well as harder to find for people who care about the issue.

Your idea for a secret, hidden petition is a masterstroke of genius. Or perhaps just a stroke of some kind.
Closed Thread

Tags
explorer, folder support, fozzy bear, navigation, work