Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrinn45 View Post
I cant believe that publisher only has 2% of the vote. I haven't bought a single book, even ones less than $9.99 from any of the agency 5. I refuse to give them a single cent.
I personally have no problems with agency pricing.

Publishers are free to charge whatever they want for their products. I'll buy e-books priced at a level I think is reasonable and not buy ones that cost more than I'm willing to pay for the particular book.

Tons and tons and tons more books I'm interested in than I'll ever have time to read in my lifetime (especially with reading not being in my top 3 or 4 hobbies) so no skin off my nose if some books are priced more than I'm willing to pay.

In short, I have no problem with people who hate agency pricing. Just saying why you shouldn't be surprised. Most people just don't give a crap. We're all used to prices for things varying, and just buying what we feel is reasonably priced and skipping other stuff. So I see no need for e-books to be any different.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Geo restrictions arwe of course a major factor - If the publisher won't allow me to buy it because I live in the "wrong" place then it doesn't matter how many positive factors there are encouraging me to buy!

I'm not surprised that price features so highly - I get a definite ripped-off feeling when I pay even the same as a pbook for electronic content with no physical material cost, no distribution cost and no storage cost, or at least very low such costs.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
1. DRM
2. Publisher (I will not buy anything from MacMillan)
3. Geographical Restrictions
4. Price (I rarely spend more than $5.00 for an ebook never over $10.00)

That's the practical side of the equation, now for the emotional/subjective reasons:

1. Author (There are a handful of authors that go on my automatic buy list unless the book conflicts with my practical list.)
2. Decent book sample, especially important if I'm not familiar with the author
3. Genre (I read mostly science fiction, fantasy and romance with the occasional technological thriller thrown in. I don't read mysteries even though I gift them to my Mom.)

I have many books on my wish list, just waiting mainly for the price to go down.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I couldn't get started on the poll because I will not buy a book with DRM - though after that author and reviews would come into play.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
It's the book for me. The author has about 10 pages or less to grab my attention. If s/he doesn't, I don't purchase it. The publisher has zero impact on my book purchases. Price is now becoming an issue. I won't buy an e book that costs more that a physical book and with the discount and half price bookstores available in my area, I can always find something for $3 - $5 dollars to read. I'd rather have an e book but can live without it.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #21
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I can put up with DRM, but Geo-Restriction is the number one factor for me. As for price, I've rarely paid more than $6. (My most expensive would be dictionaries in mobi format)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
Elvira
Enthusiast
Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
price and subject matter... and some of the time, my familiarity with the author
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote