Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #121
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Silly question. Why is Apple going to give up the $100-200 more for on-board memory when they aren't going to see a dime out of your SD card purchases?
It was a rhetorical question.

I was making the point that a huge reason why the iPad, iPhone, iTouch doesn't have SD slots is just that--they lose out on money when people don't buy the higher capacity model as they can get SD cards cheaper and probably have some around the house already.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #122
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah I've never bought a netbook as they're so underpowered--choke on streaming video etc.

Streaming video? Even browsing has it's slowdowns. They're underpowered yes.

But for a trip where i need access to a full OS with image editing, offloading images, watching some movies, reading some stuff, I can live with the slowness for a few weeks.

For me, at that moment, 20.000km away from home, a lightweight multipurpose tool would be the best choice.

At home, on the couch, an iPad would be superb.

(Somehow a scene from that 80's cartoon M.A.S.K. comes in mind... where the computer choses the persons/vehicles most suited for the task at hand)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #123
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
At home, on the couch, an iPad would be superb.
Yes, it would be.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #124
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
That is all the more reason why it really needs a built-in SD card reader. You can move any content to/from the device via the SD card, no need to mess with itunes or any "folder restrictions" at all. Just pop the card into your computer, copy/paste whatever, and pop it back in the tablet. Super simple, super fast, no restrictions, no dependencies on any specialized software. Plus you get additional storage too!
Yeah. Or you have something like Eye-Fi in your camera. When you get home, (or near some connection spot), drop your bag, get yourself a coke, Eye-Fi spots that it's at home andall your images gets uploaded to your server at home.

Then you sit down at the table with your coke and sandwich, grabs the iPad and your browse your new pics through wifisync with itunes

You do some quick preselects. Deletes bad pics, tag good pics. All while you're churning down your sandwich.

And then you take your coke with you to your desktop computer and do your heavy photoworkflow.

Then your partner gets home, and grab the iPad to enjoy your pics. Because the enhanced pictures got synced automatically.

All this time, your camera never left your bag.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #125
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Streaming video? Even browsing has it's slowdowns. They're underpowered yes.

But for a trip where i need access to a full OS with image editing, offloading images, watching some movies, reading some stuff, I can live with the slowness for a few weeks.
Sure, but in travel that length I'm fine taking my laptop and not dealing with any slowness. It's not that heavy.

And I pack pretty light anyway, so adding a laptop to the mix isn't a big deal. The last longer trip I did was 10 days to Alaska and I just had a carry on and a bookbag to use for hikes etc. and just did laundry once at a motel.

So I've just had no use for an underpowered small and light netbook personally--but do see the appeal for others.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #126
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Sure, but in travel that length I'm fine taking my laptop and not dealing with any slowness. It's not that heavy.

And I pack pretty light anyway, so adding a laptop to the mix isn't a big deal. The last longer trip I did was 10 days to Alaska and I just had a carry on and a bookbag to use for hikes etc. and just did laundry once at a motel.

So I've just had no use for an underpowered small and light netbook personally--but do see the appeal for others.
I usually takes longer vacations, where my checked-in suitcase would be packed full.

And handcary with an weight allowance of approximately 5kg.
I would have with me:at least my digital SLR (1,5kg), SD-cards, chargers and other accesoires(0,5kg). The trolley itself would weigh 2kg. So I only have very little kg left.

I've chosen to take my netbook which is just a bit more than 1kg and an ereader.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #127
dmaul1114
Wizard

I've never had anyone weigh my carry ons, so I've never worried about the weight. My rolling carry on is usually pretty damn heavy. Then I'll have my laptop case/briefcase and have the laptop in it if needed, and if not just papers, my Kindle, mp3 player etc.

But again, I see the use for Netbooks for others. I've just never had a time that I wished I had one personally.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #128
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Typically hotels in european hotels will have a tv, but not a dvd since most would prefer to sell you on demand movies and as far as nobody wanting to watch a film, just because you don't relax in that way doesn't mean lots of others won't.
The issue with the usb/sd card reader is that even being fairly compact it is still drastically larger than if the device simply had a port built-in, not to mention the needless additional cost.
Also, you should probably bear in mind the fact that anecdote is not the singular of data and just because you have no interest in viewing your photos that isn't the case for many other people.
Yes, but you can watch your movies on your iPad, just upload in advance or buy on iTunes. You can even hook up your iPad to the hotel TV, thereby using your iPad as a 'DVD player'.

IMHO, the SD card reader is tiny, neat and attractive, and won't hardly make a dent in the bag that one uses for all the other many accessories (for your laptop, camera, camcorder, cell phone, SD cards etc.) ie. wall chargers, universal plug adaptors, spare batteries or what have you etc., that one usually travels with. Not to mention that the OP will be able to view his photos in the most amazing and creative way on the iPad, like never seen before, ever!

I'm sorry, I thought the OP what just winding me up and making hypothetical worst case scenarios, ie. hotel room with no TV or DVD (and yet still want to rent a DVD), etc.. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not mean come across as condescending.

I love the iPad's slim and light form and think hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of brainstorming by TOP designers and engineers, went into it's perfect design.

Anyway.... if it was any heavier or bulkier, it just wouldn't be convenient as an ereader. That is the main purpose I want it for. All the other things are just one humongous bonus .

P.S. Not that it's important to the discussion, but I've just returned from a 3 week trip through Europe and the UK. We stayed in 9 hotels, and all of our rooms had a TV.

Last edited by dragonbone; 02-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #129
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
That is all the more reason why it really needs a built-in SD card reader. You can move any content to/from the device via the SD card, no need to mess with itunes or any "folder restrictions" at all. Just pop the card into your computer, copy/paste whatever, and pop it back in the tablet. Super simple, super fast, no restrictions, no dependencies on any specialized software. Plus you get additional storage too!
Of course you could also just do the same thing with the iPad's internal memory using its "global folder" (simple USB mass storage drag'n'drop); but why so simple when you can make it complicated.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #130
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
I've never had anyone weigh my carry ons, so I've never worried about the weight. My rolling carry on is usually pretty damn heavy. Then I'll have my laptop case/briefcase and have the laptop in it if needed, and if not just papers, my Kindle, mp3 player etc.
It varies strongly by airline. Some do indeed weigh baggage, and you really need to check before flights. Also, some airports impose additional limits which you need to be aware of. Some go with "if you can lift it, you're good", but increasingly limits are coming into place.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote