Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Try this for Kobo (I hope it'll work for you folks in the US).

http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...&s=none&g=both
Yes, that works.

I see now that if you go into a books details you can click on the 'imprint' and it'll pull up everything from them. I had tried searching for "Tom Doherty Associates" in the search box (since that's what the books I knew were Tor showed in list view) and got nothing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, that works.

I see now that if you go into a books details you can click on the 'imprint' and it'll pull up everything from them. I had tried searching for "Tom Doherty Associates" in the search box (since that's what the books I knew were Tor showed in list view) and got nothing.
I searched for Tor Books and got this as my first result - "Colorblind - Sensual Interracial BWWM Historical Erotic Romance from Steam Books"
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Is it possible to search on the kobo site for all books that are DRM free, and then drill down further with a more detailed search?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #34
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
If she wanted to loan/share the DRM free eBook she could send it to our entire family at once so they could all read it at the same time plus she'd still have access as well.
The problem is that the publishers would see each of the people she loaned it to as a lost sale. In reality, chances are, most of the people she loaned it to wouldn't have bought it, so it's not a lost sale, but it IS exposure for the author and if they liked the loaned book, perhaps they'll buy another book by that author. Like some other posters have mentioned, I'm much more likely to buy a book if it's DRM-free and, out of respect for the publisher, I won't loan/copy the book. I'm less likely to buy a DRM'd book (unless I really want it and can remove the DRM) and, while I still wouldn't loan/copy it, my inhibitions about doing so are lower...
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Try this for Kobo (I hope it'll work for you folks in the US).

http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...&s=none&g=both
Now if Kobo would only take coupons on Tor in the US...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Just remember that it's not Kobo's fault. Tor stuck Kobo with the Agency Model in the States (and Canada), just like their parent publisher.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
The problem is that the publishers would see each of the people she loaned it to as a lost sale. In reality, chances are, most of the people she loaned it to wouldn't have bought it, so it's not a lost sale, but it IS exposure for the author and if they liked the loaned book, perhaps they'll buy another book by that author.
I get it, I was just trying to think like the publishers might be. I don't think they see things that way.

Quote:
Like some other posters have mentioned, I'm much more likely to buy a book if it's DRM-free and, out of respect for the publisher, I won't loan/copy the book. I'm less likely to buy a DRM'd book (unless I really want it and can remove the DRM) and, while I still wouldn't loan/copy it, my inhibitions about doing so are lower...
Yes, however the general ebook reading public I was describing don't usually even know what DRM is or understand it. DRM means nothing when it comes to their decision to buy or not. Until they run into problems from it at least.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Just remember that it's not Kobo's fault. Tor stuck Kobo with the Agency Model in the States (and Canada), just like their parent publisher.
We don't know what their new contract with MacMillan is like. Now that Agency's gone in theory they could allow coupons, especially since they aren't discounting any other way like other retailers.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #39
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
We don't know what their new contract with MacMillan is like. Now that Agency's gone in theory they could allow coupons, especially since they aren't discounting any other way like other retailers.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #40
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Someone once asked me how to protect your motorcycle from theft. I could only answer, "Make sure you have a bike no one wants to steal".

It seems to me, eBooks are essentially similar in that regard. People will steal what they are determined to steal. All theft deterrence does is prevent those who don't want what you have all that much from stealing it.

You can't effectively lock down most stuff and still have usable stuff.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote