Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Metadata (added cover art) not downloaded to Arc

Hi,

I've got some free ePub books (onto my desktop PC) which have no cover art, and added appropriate covers through Calibre's Google search.

When I push the ePubs onto my Kobo Arc from Calibre, the files appear on the SD card memory and can be added to the Arc's Kobo Library - but the cover art does not appear.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a problem with the Arc, which perhaps reads only the metadata included in the original file and ignores the new data provided by Calibre?

Thanks,

Alan
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If the Arc is anything like the Kobo e-ink devices, it is using the first page of the book as the cover. Open the book in the calibre viewer and see what it has. If that doesn't have a cover, you need to do an epup->epub conversion to add it to the book. The Modify ePub plugin might work as well. It will replace covers, but I can never remember if it adds covers to ePubs as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Modify ePub plugin might work as well. It will replace covers, but I can never remember if it adds covers to ePubs as well.
It will add cover or replace the cover.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Alan_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
<snip> you need to do an epup->epub conversion to add it to the book. </snip>
Yep, thanks David that did the trick - I used Calibre to convert the original epub with added cover page to an epub. Then after downloading to my Arc, the covers were visible. The only trouble is that the Kobo website has now become convinced that I no longer have - and never had - these books; it has removed them from my library, and even removed them from the "deleted" list.

And the "synchronise" function on the Kobo App seems to only work one way - it certainly hasn't worked to inform the website about the books that I have on the Arc.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Alan_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
It will add cover or replace the cover.
Hi Doc,
Do you know whether adding covers on the Arc using Modify ePub (rather than using Calibre) will get around the problem of Kobo forgetting that I have got the affected books?
Alan
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
Hi Doc,
Do you know whether adding covers on the Arc using Modify ePub (rather than using Calibre) will get around the problem of Kobo forgetting that I have got the affected books?
I can't talk to your Kobo problem. Among many other features the Modify ePub plugin will embed the cover image in the ePub.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote