Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #301
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
There is nowhere any kind of image comparison logic. cover:false will give you books that don't have a cover. As I said above there is no search or plugin that will tell you which books have a calibre generated cover.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #302
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
FWIW, I use a custom column to track cover status, that way I can search by the custom column to determine which books I need to look for DL versions, which have covers I like, and which I need to make covers for.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #303
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
Sure, but if I've deleted cover.jpg doesn't that trigger "No cover" or is it "No cover tucked away inside the ePub"?

On another note, but triggered by me playing with this plugin - I used Quality check to check for weird covers - it found some with multiples - I edited them with Sigil just deleting the Jacket files. I then redid Calibre's ePub to ePub conversion..... and the Jacket files reappeared??? It was like I had ticked the "Insert metadata" option - but I hadn't :-(

Any suggestions or should I repost as a Calibre problem??
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #304
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can use the Cover browser to help 'spot' the Calibre 'default' covers. Not perfect, but it might help home in.
If you have a Widescreen monitor, you might increase the Preference: Look and Feel: Cover Browser: value (I run it with 15 and Separate Window Ticked)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #305
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you've deleted cover.jpg you have done the same kind of damage that deleting a book format from your library folder does. It puts calibre's database "out of sync" with the physical folders. Thats why there are the big warning all over the place about not digging around in or touching anything inside calibre's library folder. Run Library maintenance to repair the damage.

*Nothing* looks at the cover image inside the book formats. QC cover checks are all based around whatever cover.jpg is associated with books in your library, and that can and often will differ from any cover embedded inside the ebook formats itself unless you do conversions or use Modify ePub.

Your other comment is nothing to do with this plugin. If you want to remove jackets safely, use Modify ePub.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #306
DMee
Zealot

OK, clicked what I thought should make cover browser appear and restarted - but nowt appears :-(

What should I have ticked? Did the Preferences / Look&Feel / Cover Browser / Sep window and 15 covers - no difference on restarting??
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #307
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to clarify Kiwidudes 'Repair'::
The 'Check Library' function will clear the internal DB of the flag 'has cover' if no longer found. It can't put back, what is gone and not available.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #308
DMee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If you've deleted cover.jpg you have done the same kind of damage that deleting a book format from your library folder does. It puts calibre's database "out of sync" with the physical folders. Thats why there are the big warning all over the place about not digging around in or touching anything inside calibre's library folder. Run Library maintenance to repair the damage.

*Nothing* looks at the cover image inside the book formats. QC cover checks are all based around whatever cover.jpg is associated with books in your library, and that can and often will differ from any cover embedded inside the ebook formats itself unless you do conversions or use Modify ePub.

Your other comment is nothing to do with this plugin. If you want to remove jackets safely, use Modify ePub.
Chill - I was thinking that that might be a way to trigger bulk finding - I haven't done anything to the folders...

I realised the jackets bit was unrelated - just mentioned cos happened whilst playing and as I said, "should I start another thread...."

I will investigate Modify ePub
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #309
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Shift+Alt+B is the keyboard shortcut for the cover browser. It is the icon down the bottom of the main screen with the black background and white arrow on it (don't get me started on icon choices again).

You can google these things you know rather than posting in this thread...
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #310
DMee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just to clarify Kiwidudes 'Repair'::
The 'Check Library' function will clear the internal DB of the flag 'has cover' if no longer found. It can't put back, what is gone and not available.
So I could remove all the crud cover.jpg's, run library repair, search for covers:false and bulk run Generate Cover..... safely???
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #311
DMee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
You can google these things you know rather than posting in this thread...
You must be better at googling than me - couldn't find it and as Ducks mentioned it.......
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #312
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
So I could remove all the crud cover.jpg's, run library repair, search for covers:false and bulk run Generate Cover..... safely???
I would never deliberately damage a library

The 'Check' might find other errors and fix those also, when there might be a better way of recovering (the QC plugin, Modify EPUB PI )

Besides, there ARE places a 'default' cover may have been used.

On a whole, this duck hates (full) Auto anything.

Bulk Metadata edit has a cover operation section (remove is a option).

Tag books as you go, the select all tagged and use the remove cover setting
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #313
DMee
Zealot

Its the "Tag books as you go" I was trying to avoid - I just thought I could visibly pick from a "cover.jpg" search in windows and delete all the crud very quickly

Got cover browser going now - just can't find how to settle it into viewing the calibre stuff too - wasting more time playing
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #314
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Its the "Tag books as you go" I was trying to avoid - I just thought I could visibly pick from a "cover.jpg" search in windows and delete all the crud very quickly

Got cover browser going now - just can't find how to settle it into viewing the calibre stuff too - wasting more time playing
Detach it, then you can place and size it.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #315
DMee
Zealot

Yeah but then it gets covered when I click Calibre main window - like I said, more time playing