Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
Help With Loading Audiobooks

Help, I seem to be confused. When I think I understand the workings of the Fire--I get lost in the confusion--could it be an older persons dilema... I went on the "web" from the Fire & downloaded "overdrive". Then I tried to open it with "ES Note Editor" and statement said "file is too large". Am I going about this all wrong? Obviously I need step by step instructions & I can not find them on the web. Thanks so much.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
Help, I seem to be confused. When I think I understand the workings of the Fire--I get lost in the confusion--could it be an older persons dilema... I went on the "web" from the Fire & downloaded "overdrive". Then I tried to open it with "ES Note Editor" and statement said "file is too large". Am I going about this all wrong? Obviously I need step by step instructions & I can not find them on the web. Thanks so much.
I can't even get mine to download. I get when I click to download the audiobook in ODMC: This version of overdrive media console does not support wma audiobook titles
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay the Fire will allow MP3. You download the book through Overdrive media Console then go to your bookshelf in the app and click on the audiobook. It has it own player which is very similar to audible's interface. Works great! I wish WMA books did but only MP3 will.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks Blossom, you are always so helpful. How did you get Overdrive onto the Fire? Where did you load it from & what platform?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks Blossom, you are always so helpful. How did you get Overdrive onto the Fire? Where did you load it from & what platform?
I downloaded it from here then sideloaded it via Dropbox and install it. Added my library and use Dolphin web browser to access my library as Silk and Opera both give me the mobile version no matter what I try. I am able to download library books straight to the app. I was pleasantly surprised how nice the reader part of the app is. Much more customizable then most apps. It's a keeper for me. MP3 audiobooks are the only library ones that will work.

My library only has a handful of mp3 books all the other are wma Good thing I have a Sansa Clip Zip and Clip+
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I have loaned out many library audiobooks with Overdrive. You can get it right from their site and sideload it but it was not intuitive when i tried getting it to install the 1st time.
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx
I only use the library mp3 versions and don't own any of my own.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I have loaned out many library audiobooks with Overdrive. You can get it right from their site and sideload it but it was not intuitive when i tried getting it to install the 1st time.
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx
I only use the library mp3 versions and don't own any of my own.
If only wma was supported. *grumbles* All the big publishers seems to use wma.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Am I correct in thinking that you installed Dropbox on your computer, then installed Overdrive on your computer, then connected (USB) to the computer & installed Overdrive onto the Fire using the Dropbox program? Sorry to be so basic; but, some things with computers confuse me.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that you installed Dropbox on your computer, then installed Overdrive on your computer, then connected (USB) to the computer & installed Overdrive onto the Fire using the Dropbox program? Sorry to be so basic; but, some things with computers confuse me.
No I don't use USB with my Fire. I use either Dropbox which can be downloaded via their website through Fire's browser. I also use ES File Explorer's LAN feature which will access my desktop's files and I can copy over stuff to my Fire.

You can download Overdrive on your Fire's browser by using this link. Just open Silk then navigate to this MR thread and click on the link and that should do it.
it.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Thanks Blossom, very helpful.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Is overdrive the only option for audiobooks? I have a few but haven't cracked the nut yet on learning how to load and access them. I'm not v interested in doing library-app mgmt just yet though. Too many books on my list that ive already purchased in one form or another.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Is overdrive the only option for audiobooks? I have a few but haven't cracked the nut yet on learning how to load and access them. I'm not v interested in doing library-app mgmt just yet though. Too many books on my list that ive already purchased in one form or another.
There's Audible which is own by Amazon You can get a free 30 day trial which will give you two free credits for two free audiobooks and during the trial you get membership pricing after that it's 14.95 and you get 1 free credit a month plus 30% off discount of any audio books you buy. There's other more expensive plans but this is their basic one.

I currently have a trial subscription going.

Audiobooks you already own in mp3 format can be played using the normal mp3 player on the Fire or any mp3 app.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Thanks for bringing this all up. I didn't have Dropbox on the Fire. Then found this. Worked really well. I don't know how to make this a clickable link. Maybe it will do it on its own....

http://nhdbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12...onsole-on.html

Well, learn something all the time, it did become a link. Hurrah.

A question to Blossom, you know all the Harlequins we all bought awhile ago? Well, I got mine in Calibre, but how do I save them to Dropbox? I know it is probably a very silly question. Or maybe I don't need to save them? They are in the H publisher's cloud? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Carmelreader; 02-07-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
Thanks for bringing this all up. I didn't have Dropbox on the Fire. Then found this. Worked really well. I don't know how to make this a clickable link. Maybe it will do it on its own....

http://nhdbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12...onsole-on.html

Well, learn something all the time, it did become a link. Hurrah.

A question to Blossom, you know all the Harlequins we all bought awhile ago? Well, I got mine in Calibre, but how do I save them to Dropbox? I know it is probably a very silly question. Or maybe I don't need to save them? They are in the H publisher's cloud? Thanks in advance.
I open Calibre and do a Save to Disk directly into my Dropbox folder which syncs to the Dropbox server then download to my Fire using either Dropbox or ES File Explorer

Install Dropbox on your PC then add books to your Dropbox folder. Install Dropbox app on Fire and transfer between.

If you want to transfer alot of files I use ES File Explorer once they are on my Dropbox, ESFE has a net feature where I can log directly to dropbox and download more than one file at a time.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Thank you Blossom!
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote