Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Wanapitei
Wanapitei began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Touch feedback

Overall I'm pleased with Kobo Touch and do not regret its purchase. But there are unaddressed problems.

1. The touch algorithm is wonky, inefficient. Far too often there is no response, requires repeated and/or prolonged touching. Or shut down, a relaunch and try a second time. I suspect the code is not efficient in taking out the garbage, that is, the code is chasing itself in an infinite loop and thus isn't paying any attention to a new touch. Examples include the Connect button when a computer is detected. Sometimes it will respond, sometimes not. The edit Highlights button. The delete highlights button. This wonkiness of touch takes some getting used to and may discourage adoption of Kobo Touch.

2. When a string of text has been highlighted there are signs the code hard wires the location's page number rather than its absolute position within the current chapter. If the user has reduced the point size of the type so as to highlight a continuous passage, then resumes a more readable point size, then Kobo will not satisfactorily find the passage, presenting a page where the highlighted text does not appear. This is quite consistent.

3. The tool for selecting text for highlighting is troublesome. There are two handles, one as the beginning and another at the end. The user is now required to select a handle and extend or reduce the selection. Except, much of the time the handles won't select. The code seems to be off on some infinite loop and not paying attention. Plus there's another related problem to these selection handles. They're smaller than a finger pressed on the screen and thus impossible to detect whether the handle has been activated, ready for dragging.

4. Documentation is scanty and dumbed down, incomplete. There are many very necessary tools for electronic reading in Kobo, but they are described in marketing-language generalities. There a phone service available to talk to a live person, but they themselves have barely scratched Kobo's surface. There's also help by eMail. While that service appears to be well structured, there's been a lack of follow through on issues.

All of which might suggest avoiding purchase of Kobo Touch, but not so fast. In the four weeks I've owned my Kobo Touch, the operating system has been automatically upgraded twice to new versions adding useful features and solving bugs. Likewise the matching Kobo application that runs on my Mac has been upgraded three times. Kobo is a moving target, really in public beta rather than a polished and fully tested tool. Kobo is considerably lighter and easier to hold for prolonged reading than either of the two iPads in circulation. Whether I'm still reading with Kobo next year depends on whether Kobo discovers the importance of excellence in the details of their software and docs.
Wanapitei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Have you considered posting this in the Kobo forum (particularly your first three concerns)?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's odd--for readers that are released and never (or almost never) updated, users are annoyed because nothing changes until an entirely new device is released. For Kobo--which marketed their Touch only with the features they had available at the time --no promises of changes to come--people seem to need to see the fact that it is continuously improving as meaning it is a beta product. Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" -- Quote by someone famous
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
1.9.6 software update is great dictionary works good. Response to closing dictionary by touching X is slow. Sketch can be useful even with this first edition. I'm liking Kt more with each days use.
Thank you.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I also get feedback with my Kobo Touch, but only when I read my Jimi Hendrix biographies... please help!
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
I also get feedback with my Kobo Touch, but only when I read my Jimi Hendrix biographies... please help!
nice
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
HD10180
HD10180 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Love the kobo touch!

It's a gem! What's a piece of marvelous technology.

Its support for PDF, custom font and SD card and does not lock on proprietary format is a real winner.

Custom font is a big plus besides the fix for dictionary. I can now read books with foreign character encoding using custom font which is probably not supported by other devices.

HD
HD10180 is offline   Reply With Quote