Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
PDF emailing very impressive

I did some experiments with the PDF email conversion Amazon offers with the Kindle... I gotta say, I was very impressed.

I'm pretty good at OCR and scanning, but I had a few texts (old encyclopedias) that had two columns, lots of pictures and a massive page count (700 pgs).

Well, I tried a number of programs to pull out a good OCR scan. OmniPage, Adobe Acrobat, and the AbbyReader that came with my OpticBook. All were more or less complete failures.

Well, I mailed the files to myself... a few minutes later the volumes appeared on my Kindle - just about perfect. Sure, no table of contents and the first 20 pages were a mess of legalese, names, indexes, etc... But the text itself was full and intact. And since this is something I'll be searching and not reading casually, it's just wonderful.

I gotta say... very impressed. The inline pictures even came out pretty nice - limited, of course, by the poor picture quality on the Kindle.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It uses (so it appears) the same PDF conversion tool that's in MobiPocket Creator, so you may find it easier to use that. Simply open the PDF in Mobi Creator.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
somebuddy
somebuddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
yeah, but it doesn't format certain things right. I read a lot of scripts, and there are a lot of pages like this:

BOB Hey, Sally.
SALLY What up, Bob. Nice Kindle you got there.
BOB Yeah - except for the whole DRM thing.

When emailed into my Kindle or transferred using MobiCreator (I tried both), it would mess up the formatting terribly, so I would end up with:

BOB Hey, Sally.SALLY What up, Bob. Nice Kindle you got
there. BOB Yeah - except for the whole DRM thing.

:-( Times like this that I wish it would just offer a straight-up PDF-reader option that shows the page as an image.
somebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Yeah, I didn't realize it was the mobicreator software... I've used everything but it for PDF!

It's certainly not perfect, but I was surprised by how well it handled some things.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
yeah, but it doesn't format certain things right. I read a lot of scripts, and there are a lot of pages like this:

BOB Hey, Sally.
SALLY What up, Bob. Nice Kindle you got there.
BOB Yeah - except for the whole DRM thing.

When emailed into my Kindle or transferred using MobiCreator (I tried both), it would mess up the formatting terribly, so I would end up with:

BOB Hey, Sally.SALLY What up, Bob. Nice Kindle you got
there. BOB Yeah - except for the whole DRM thing.

:-( Times like this that I wish it would just offer a straight-up PDF-reader option that shows the page as an image.
Exactly what MobiPocket Creator has done to a few pdfs I tried to convert with it. It messes up paragrphs. Way too much for my liking.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tried Mobipocket Creator for the free PDF eBook from TOR. Way to mussed up with the paragraphs for my liking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tried Mobipocket Creator for the free PDF eBook from TOR. Way to mussed up with the paragraphs for my liking.
That's the "fault" of the PDF format, rather than the tool. A PDF file contains no information about paragraphs, lines, or even words - it just has information about individual letters, along the lines of "draw a letter 'a' at such-and-such a position on the page". Given such a paucity of information, the conversion tools do a pretty good job!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I compared the Amazon converted PDF of Mistborn to the one generated by MobiCreator. they were both full of errors, messed up paragraphs, run on words, and not translating words broken up at the end of the line.

*But* the Amazon version had far fewer errors even though it was still pretty bad.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, it's never going to be perfect - but I was pleasantly surprised.

I've been sending myself academic journal articles, so far it's about 1 in 20 that have problems.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon's conversion works quite well, not perfect but we are happy with it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Well, I tried a number of programs to pull out a good OCR scan. OmniPage, Adobe Acrobat, and the AbbyReader that came with my OpticBook. All were more or less complete failures.

Well, I mailed the files to myself... a few minutes later the volumes appeared on my Kindle - just about perfect.
The Kindle does OCR conversion with pictures?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
that was a jump that was not in the original. I can't imagine that the conversion software on Amazon's web site uses OCR and Kindle doesn't even do conversion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
The Kindle conversion service does not do OCR. For one approach to PDFs of scanned images see Converting your PDF files to Kindle using PDF2LRF (Better than Amazon's conversion).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote