Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Tartan
Tartan began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n97 mini
Nokia n97 mini. Help!

I have just gotten the Nokia n97 mini, and was really happy to find an ebookreader in the programlist. I have a lot of ebooks on my computer i would like to transfer to the phone, but they are in the wrong format, so i cant open them on the phone! The two books that followed the phone, has a format called "KZ file". At least thats what my computer tells me when i connect the phone and look at them. All the ebooks i have are either in adobe reader, or something called "jar".
I really want this to work, so does anyone know about a converter that can help me or a page where you can download "KZ files"? I've tried to google both, but cant find anything...
Please answer if you have a solution
Tartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Hi Tartan and welcome to MR!

Since I haven't got a symbian os device or use ereader myself i can't check but .kz seems to be some kind of metadatafile ereader uses. Have a look at this thread here.

The actual text could be in files with a different format / extension name. I guess one should be able to handle those with calibre.

The .jar - files you are talking about run with a Java-engine. I don't know if there is a reading software for Symbian OS v9.4 (which your phone runs) for those.

By the way: You could try if the old Mobipocket Reader for Symbian runs on your phone. In that case you should be able to read all those .prc and .mobi files floating around here and elsewhere. But be aware that this is old software and mobipocket essentially is on it's way out of the market. Edit: Also have a look over here (for the N97).

Last edited by beachwanderer; 05-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I've never tried setting up my Nokia X6 for ebook reading as have other devices that I prefer to use, but I've found some programs for Symbian phones that support a more recognisable ebook format.

ZXReader - Supports TXT and FB2
Q-Reader - Supports TXT and FB2
Foliant - Supports FB2 and other formats.

If you don't have books in FB2 format, then you could install Calibre and convert them to FB2 from a wide variety of existing formats.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Foliant - Supports FB2 and other formats.
Hm, looks interesting. Java based, is it? What formats does it support apart from FB2?
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't been able to find out much about it, most of the information is appears to be in russian and I can't access the relavent sites from my work PC. I'll have to check later.
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru

Managed to find out about Foliant.

It is a Java (jar) file. It will read txt,FB2, zip and GZ files.

The interface is pretty slick but unfortunatly I don't have any FB2 files to check out, but I can confirm that it will open a HTML file. Unfortunatly, you end up seeing the code.

I'll try a txt file and see what thats like.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 05-11-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru

I've just done a quick convert of an epub in Calibre to fb2 and installed in on my X6 and also put a text file in it.

Results:
Text file looks ok. As long as you lay out the text so that you can tell where the paragraths are then it displays ok.

FB2 loads but for some reason my title page failed to display (it flashed up for about 5 seconds and then disappeared). Apart from this though the contents displayed correctly with bold and italic text show correctly and looks pretty good. Very passable (for myself) as an emergency ereader, as your main ereader, it could work, certainly if like me you like carrying one with you at all times. My PRS-600 is too big to stick in my pocket, but this isn't.

As long as you've got somthing like Calibre to convert your books, this could definetly work.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru

BTW, Foliant is not easy to get hold of unless you are registered with one of the forums that hold a copy, but I did manage to find it without resorting to registering with one of them.

I'd upload it here if the moderators allow it. It appears to be a free bit of software.

Anyone want to tell me it's ok?