Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
galvtsi
kindle2 and nook user
galvtsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2 and nook
Indexing on Kindle 2 and hangs

Hello ... I have been having the problem of my Kindle 2 hanging whille I am reading a book. After lots of research on the net, I have determined that it is because of indexing books. I put a lot of books on my Kindle 2 and it takes time to index them. What I have determined today is the following:

1. From Home, search for something that you know is not on your Kindle, such as aaaaaaa . This way, only one page of results is returned.
2. At the bottom of the returned page, you will see an anouncement of the number of items not indexed.
3. Click on the anouncement line and you will be taken to the list of the items that have not been indexed.
4. Click on one of the items and it will be indexed.
5. You will see no indication that the item is being indexed, but do a check again sometime later and when the indexing is done, the number of unindexed item will change.

I started with 48 items not indexed and left it over night to do the indexing. The morning showed 46 items not indexed. Today, I followed the above steps, and have gotten it down to 4 items, so far.
galvtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I don't keep a lot on books on my K2 but if I should want to add a large number, this info will come in handy.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
When I first received my K2 I loaded it up with around 1500 books to see what would happen. It took 4 or 5 days to index and I had to keep it plugged in because the battery would quickly discharge.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
galvtsi
kindle2 and nook user
galvtsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2 and nook
Not a fix

This did not fix my machine. The next morning, after it was down to 4 items not indexed, it started indicating 240 out of 249 items not indexed. Right now, it is indicating 12 items not indexed. I have three Kindle 2 and each of them will hang at random times. I either have to reset the unit or wait from one to five minutes before they start responding again. I am only able to read a few pages before the next hang takes place. I do believe that there is a problem with the Kindle 2 operating system, not the Kindle 2 itself. Possibly if we were given the option to turn off the indexing, the problem would go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvtsi View Post
Hello ... I have been having the problem of my Kindle 2 hanging whille I am reading a book. After lots of research on the net, I have determined that it is because of indexing books. I put a lot of books on my Kindle 2 and it takes time to index them. What I have determined today is the following:

1. From Home, search for something that you know is not on your Kindle, such as aaaaaaa . This way, only one page of results is returned.
2. At the bottom of the returned page, you will see an anouncement of the number of items not indexed.
3. Click on the anouncement line and you will be taken to the list of the items that have not been indexed.
4. Click on one of the items and it will be indexed.
5. You will see no indication that the item is being indexed, but do a check again sometime later and when the indexing is done, the number of unindexed item will change.

I started with 48 items not indexed and left it over night to do the indexing. The morning showed 46 items not indexed. Today, I followed the above steps, and have gotten it down to 4 items, so far.
galvtsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing tips, kindle indexing