Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Question regarding metadata

I'm using a Kindle. I thought I would see if Calibre would be of any use to me (before donating to its development).

I've looked around the wiki, and in threads here and the forum there, but either I've missed posts about this, or because I'm using a Kindle, the rules may be different.

When I bring a *.prc or *.mobi file into Calibre, the first thing I do is get the IBSN number, download any cover art, and add any available summary to comments.

I realize I cannot use the "Send to Device" because Calibre will not send to a Kindle. However, I have been getting the books to my Kindle using the "Save to Disk" feature.

The problem comes up when I look at the book on my Kindle. It doesn't appear that any of the cover art or other meta data information copies over. So, except for management reasons on the PC, am I wasting my time trying to update the meta data on my Kindle using Calibre?

Sorry if this question has been asked (and answered) before, but I just wasn't able to find the thread.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I know nothing about Calibre, so I'm interested in any responses you get.

Have your tried using MobiCreator for your metadata info? MobiPocket Reader allows you to organize books into Reading Lists of your choosing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I know nothing about Calibre, so I'm interested in any responses you get.

Have your tried using MobiCreator for your metadata info? MobiPocket Reader allows you to organize books into Reading Lists of your choosing.
As far as I can tell, Mobipocket Creator does not allow me to edit metadata of existing books. If it did .... I would be really happy to say the least.

I suppose that I could start from scratch from the original data at PG, and create all my own books, but honestly, for just things like the cover page (I don't find the Feedbooks covers to be as pretty as the ones I can create myself) ... it just seems like overkill.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, if your are trying to use caliber, just for editing the metadata there is a script, Mobi2mobi that allows editing the metadata directly for existing Mobi files.

There is GUI version available, so it is pretty easy to use.

There is a sticky in the Format conversion forum, so check it out.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
The problem comes up when I look at the book on my Kindle. It doesn't appear that any of the cover art or other meta data information copies over. So, except for management reasons on the PC, am I wasting my time trying to update the meta data on my Kindle using Calibre?
Yes. Calibre doesn't update the metadata on the source files. If you convert the book to LRF that data is used. However, if you are only using it to manage .prc books you can not edit the .prc metadata.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
..I realize I cannot use the "Send to Device" because Calibre will not send to a Kindle. However, I have been getting the books to my Kindle using the "Save to Disk" feature.
I don't have a kindle, so I can't test any of this out, but the source code shows that Kovid is working on dorect kindle support. Take a look at "src/calibre/devices/kindle/driver.py"

Quote:

Sorry if this question has been asked (and answered) before, but I just wasn't able to find the thread.
My understanding is that Calibre does not change the source file in any way, but the meta data modifications will be included when converted to another format. For example, if you're starting with a .prc file, and convert it to lrf, tyhe lrf will show the author, isbn, etc. that you added. Today, Calibre does not convert from lrf to another format in the gui. There's an assortment of command line utilities to help with conversion as well as database manipulation.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Ah well then .... first, thanks for the informative posts. I will check out mobi2mobi, and hope that Kovid decides to support the Kindle ... or rather conversion to mobi from other formats, because I really do like his program for organizing the library, and it would be heaven to be able to use it in a direct manner as it is intended for use with the Sony.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

And that won't be fun ...

Downloaded Mobi2mobi .... looks like it's going to have quite the steep learning curve before I can use it. Apparently, I've got to tell it in which directory certain files are .... and it doesn't seem to think those files are located anywhere you would think they would logically be.

Bummer.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

So much not fun ...

I "set" the directory for the mobi2mobi file ... but that just puts me into an endless loop, with window after window opening up asking me to set the directory.

When I finally got to the point where I could input some file information, and actually set up a cover image .... it just threw me into another set the directory window.

So ... mayhaps I'll just cross my fingers and hope that someone out there believes that Kindle owners are worth supporting too.