Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #76
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete731 View Post
Frozen gets 4 cause it at least had decent music. I'm not a Disney fan, really glad I don't have kids so I'll never have to watch it again. It felt formulaic and predictable, and I have issues with Disney's portrayal of gender and gender roles.
Funny, a lot of people I've spoken to liked Frozen exactly because it subverted the Typical Disney Princess tropes. (Marry a guy you just met? Are you crazy?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurablue View Post
If I understand how the voting works, even if I rank a work 3rd or 4th, the run-off system means my ballot might count towards that work winning the category. I think this means if I believe a particular work shouldn't win the Hugo, I should leave it off my ballot entirely.
You are correct.

With a five-option category, imagine that you have (at most) fifteen points to give out. The option at the top of your list gets five, the next gets four, and so on. That means that even if you rank something dead last, you're giving it one point. If you think the work is utterly awful and don't want to give it any points at all, leave it off your list entirely.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #77
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I think a better way to think of it is that if your first place vote was for 'no award' and your second place vote was for something you hated, if the choice 'no award' got knocked out in the first round, the thing you hated would now be your first place vote and it could then win based on your second round vote. If you don't vote for it at all, your vote could never be the one to push it over 50% or keep it in the running.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 07-16-2014 at 07:35 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #78
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
But what if you hate two things, but hate one of them more?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #79
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
I know there have been comments that some of the short stories don't really fit into the genre of science fiction/fantasy. It is interesting that the director of Gravity said that he didn't really consider it to be a science fiction movie, and going by the internet some other people agree with him.
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurablue View Post
I know there have been comments that some of the short stories don't really fit into the genre of science fiction/fantasy. It is interesting that the director of Gravity said that he didn't really consider it to be a science fiction movie, and going by the internet some other people agree with him.
I honestly don't see how it could be considered SF. It's set in the current day, and is a plausible accident scenario involving no fantastic elements. I don't really see where "SF" would come into it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #81
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'm not voting, but I did read Parasite and enjoy it. I also just saw an article that is very interesting on the same topic - Early Lab Tests Find a Modified Cat Parasite Can Treat Cancer http://mashable.com/2014/07/17/cat-p...-treat-cancer/
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #82
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly don't see how it could be considered SF. It's set in the current day, and is a plausible accident scenario involving no fantastic elements. I don't really see where "SF" would come into it.
Well, it is fiction about science. Which is one definition that have been used.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #83
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some argue that it's set in an alternate universe, because the US still has space shuttles, the Hubble is in near Earth orbit, and the Chinese have a space station of their own. A near-future movie, perhaps.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #84
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Next one I ranked was Editor Short Form, which as far as I can tell means principal editor of short story anthologies.
1. John Joseph Adams
2. Neil Clarke
3. Ellen Datlow
4. Sheila Williams
5. Jonathan Strahan
I read a lot of short fiction, one of my favorite time killers, so I was reasonable familiar with everyone on this list. I will admit that personal preference was the primary driver of my ranking in this one. It was difficult though. John Joseph Adams has come out with some really good anthologies lately, so ze got the top spot. I adore Clarkesworld, have subscribed for quite awhile, so I gave it no. 2. The others definitely deserve to be there, but as the Highlander says, there can be only one!

Last edited by Pete731; 07-21-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Appropriate word use
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Surely it should be PRINCIPAL editors, not PRINCIPLE editors, shouldn't it? Or are they people who edit principles?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #86
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Or maybe they have a day job as head of a school? Oops, thanks for catching that HarryT
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #87
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
There's a podcast of "We Have Always Fought: Challenging the "Woman, Cattle and Slaves" Narrative" by Kameron Hurley, read by the author. It is nominated in Best Related Work.
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #88
Pete731
Connoisseur

Yes indeed Laurablue, We Have Always Fought was my top pick in that category. Very powerful piece of writing.
I've decided to skip the category of Editor, Long Form. I just don't know enough about the people involved to make a good decision. With Sort Form, I immediately recognised all of them, and it included samples of their work. Neither of those things happened with Long Form.
In the interests of speed (it's almost August already? Where did July go ) I'm going to combine a couple of the remaining categories. Today, artists
Best Professional Artist
1. Fiona Staples
2. John Picacio
3. John Harris
4. Daniel Dos Santos
5. Julie Dillon
6. Galen Dara
Some amazing art here, was a hard choice. Ultimately came down to personal preference.
Best Fan Artist
1. Sarah Webb
2. Mandie Manzano
3. Brad W. Foster
4. Steve Stiles
5. Spring Schoenhuth
More amazing art. Some of these artists (Webb and Manzano in particular) could be pro. Somebody should hire them! (Assuming they want to be of course.)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #89
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I haven't voted in any of the editor or art categories. I guess I just don't care enough about them. The short form editor category did provide some nice material in the voter packet this year, but I've only managed to read some of the Datlow stories, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be judging them on.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #90
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Well, I cast my ballots for the Hugo, Retro Hugo and Campbell Awards yesterday. Despite best efforts, I didn't make it through all of the Wheel of Time books but read enough to decide where to place it in my voting. Now I can get back to my regular reading.

The only vote I'll reveal at this point is that I voted for Ancillary Justice as Best Novel. In my opinion, it stood out so far above the other nominees that I don't care whether disclosing my vote influences anyone else. I though it was one of the better SF novels I've read in recent years. For those who haven't read it, Amazon still has it one sale for $1.99: http://smile.amazon.com/Ancillary-Ju...illary+justice
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote