Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Darn that Metropolis!

Ach! und Himmel! I just got word that the classic motion picture Metropolis, with the final restoration making it a complete movie for the first time in about 80 years, will be coming to the U.S. to do a cinematic run before being sold as DVDs.

But it's a limited cinematic run.

As limited as the 2002 release run, which hit about 3 dozen art theatres across the country? No... more limited than that.

3 theatres. In 2 states.

Yes, exactly one theatre in New York City... and 2 in Los Angeles. Probably only one showing in each (EDIT: There will be multiple showings in NY). The rest of the country can go fish (to put it politely).

In 2002, my wife and I saw the movie in a Baltimore art house--the closest it came to the nation's capital. Now, just after I've shelled out almost 2 grand in taxes just today, I'm considering making a weekend pilgrimage to NYC, with short notice, at an expense of probably about $800-1000 when all is said and done.

Metropolis is a glorious motion picture... the precursor to the modern science fiction movie. Every movie buff, and most movie watchers, should see it at least once. And yes, it is incredible on the big screen. But when I weigh the trouble and expense of journeying to New York to see it... I despair. Is it really worth a cool grand? Can I even afford to spend a cool grand, just after April 15th, and a mortgage payment coming in 2 weeks? Sheesh!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
decisions, decisions ..... (how many books do you need to sell ?)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
decisions, decisions ..... (how many books do you need to sell ?)
At their present cost, at least 400.

I just wish the producers (the German rights owners and restorers) would have okayed a more extensive theatrical release. I also wish the art house wasn't dying on the vine here in the U.S... it still amazes me that the 2002 release was not shown in Washington, D.C. at all!

Imagine it... it's like a renowned and beloved author coming to America to promote their book... and making only 2 appearances, on the left and right coast, period. There's almost no point to it, it's so limited... might as well just show up for a dinner at Trump's house.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-15-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
At their present cost, at least 400.

I just wish the producers (the German rights owners and restorers) would have okayed a more extensive theatrical release. I also wish the art house wasn't dying on the vine here in the U.S... it still amazes me that the 2002 release was not shown in Washington, D.C. at all!

Imagine it... it's like a renowned and beloved author coming to America to promote their book... and making only 2 appearances, on the left and right coast, period. There's almost no point to it, it's so limited... might as well just show up for a dinner at Trump's house.

nothing worse than London as a 'representative' UK venue, when one lives in Scotland..... (don't mention Trump to me).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
nothing worse than London as a 'representative' UK venue, when one lives in Scotland.....
Well, for me that would be analogous to playing in New York and LA to be the American release... and I was in Canada.

I'm guessing that the producers either made only a small amount on the 2002 run, or because this version simply adds about 25 minutes of footage to the 2002 run, they expect much fewer people to be interested this time around. I wish I could convince them otherwise...
Old 04-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I guess I'm just a barbarian. No movie is worth $1000 to go see, when I can later show it on my home theatre for $30-40.

Think of all the fuel I would be saving from Texas to either place....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Slightly better news about the NY showing: the theatre, Film Forum, will be showing the movie over a 2-week period, 6 showings a day. At least that makes it more likely that people will be able to get in and see it...
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I guess I'm just a barbarian. No movie is worth $1000 to go see, when I can later show it on my home theatre for $30-40.

Think of all the fuel I would be saving from Texas to either place....
Can't argue with that. If we went, we'd probably make the most of it... a little sightseeing, see a show (at $150 or more a pop)... that would make the trip more worthwhile. But really, it would be spending $1000 to see NYC, and oh, yeah, we caught a movie, too...
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it can't be that expensive to go to NY form where you are! I have to go to a funeral in Arlington, and from Seattle I am looking at about $400 round trip
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it can't be that expensive to go to NY form where you are! I have to go to a funeral in Arlington, and from Seattle I am looking at about $400 round trip
True, I can shave the train cost by taking a cheaper (slower) train. If I leave before 6 in the morning, it'll cost $150 less for the trip. So, for a 3-day stay, I'd spend $100 for a red-eye round-trip, or $280 for a day trip. Or I could take a bus, red-eye, for much less. Flying would be over $300.

If I drive, I doubt I'll find cheap all-day parking in the city. So I expect that to cost over $100 for 3 days, plus gas (2 full tanks).
Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
True, I can shave the train cost by taking a cheaper (slower) train. If I leave before 6 in the morning, it'll cost $150 less for the trip. So, for a 3-day stay, I'd spend $100 for a red-eye round-trip, or $280 for a day trip. Or I could take a bus, red-eye, for much less. Flying would be over $300.

If I drive, I doubt I'll find cheap all-day parking in the city. So I expect that to cost over $100 for 3 days, plus gas (2 full tanks).
I take the commuter bus to get in to DC, and then take a Chinatown bus to NY. My total cost is $45, and I can work on the Chinatown bus (almost all have Wifi).

This system may be cheap, but it requires at least a 1 night stay so I can come back at the right time to catch the commuter bus home.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
with the final restoration making it a complete movie for the first time in about 80 years,
In july 2008 I read that a version of Metropolis that had been considered lost for more than 80 years had been found in Buenos Aires, in a museum. Experts believe that it is the original version exhibited by Fritz Lang in 1927, in Berlin. The movie was sent back to Germany.

The article (in spanish), can be found at

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/07...m-01706863.htm

I wonder if the movie was restored from this version.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
In july 2008 I read that a version of Metropolis that had been considered lost for more than 80 years had been found in Buenos Aires, in a museum. Experts believe that it is the original version exhibited by Fritz Lang in 1927, in Berlin. The movie was sent back to Germany.

The article (in spanish), can be found at

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/07...m-01706863.htm

I wonder if the movie was restored from this version.
Yes, it was (it may not have been Lang's original print, however). After a year held up in transit, the B.A. print was delivered to the movie's restorers in Germany, and they worked for about half the year or more doing the restoration and adding it to the 2002 material, re-editing the score to fit the longer version. The B.A. print was not in good enough shape to replace the restored material from 2002, but it was used to add to the missing material to get the full movie. Because of its incredibly bad shape, the B.A. additions look noticeably worse in quality against the 2002 material. Perhaps, in time, it can be improved upon.

The new version is 25 minutes longer than the 2002 release (though they bill it as the "Complete Metropolis," it is still short a few frames of the original that were unrecoverable, possibly lost through censorship). About $800,000 was spent on the restoration of 25 minutes of film.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-15-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I take the commuter bus to get in to DC, and then take a Chinatown bus to NY. My total cost is $45, and I can work on the Chinatown bus (almost all have Wifi).

This system may be cheap, but it requires at least a 1 night stay so I can come back at the right time to catch the commuter bus home.
I should probably mention that, although I could travel and stay cheaper, there is a limit to which I (and my wife) want to save money, and we won't sacrifice too much comfort or trouble to get there. So, a bus is not gonna happen. Fleatrap motel? No way. If we can't afford reasonable travel and accommodation, we won't go.

Hmm... I've still got a few relatives up that way... maybe they have space...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Argh. going to NYC for vacation this year, but not until June.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expensive, metropolis, movie