Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Android eBook Manager (NOT Reader)

I've Googled "android eBook library management" and searched the forums for "book manager" and "book management" and not found an answer. Is there an Android App that will allow you to manage books like Calibre does for the PC? I know there are multiple eReaders out there and I'm set with an eReader. I want to manage a large library. I'm aware that I can set up Calibre on my PC as either a wired or wireless server. That's not what I'm looking for.

I have an ASUS Transformer TF201, with the dock/keyboard. The TF201 has a microSD card slot; the dock/keyboard has an SD card slot and USB slot. What I would like to be able to do is this:
  • Have my library either in main memory, or one of the storage devices
  • Manage the library something like Calibre does for PC's
  • Have the ability to transfer books from the library to another eReader, be it Kindle, Nook or otherwise (Currently, I can wade through a list of books in an Android folder, eventually find what I'm looking for, 'Copy' it, navigate one folder at a time to my plugged in eReader and its book folder, 'Paste' the book. Then navigate back to the original folder and start over. Very Cumbersome.)

Calibre is a GREAT program and I use it on my PC often (thanks Kovid). I would like something with near that kind of functionality for my Android Tablet.

Thanks!

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not really Calibre for Android or anything, but you might want to checkout Calibre Companion and see if it will get you close to what you want. You still have to transfer your books to CC via Calibre on a computer (via WiFi or the server), but once they're on the Android device CC might work OK for you as a management tool.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188899
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not really Calibre for Android or anything, but you might want to checkout Calibre Companion and see if it will get you close to what you want. You still have to transfer your books to CC via Calibre on a computer (via WiFi or the server), but once they're on the Android device CC might work OK for you as a management tool.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188899
Thanks for the 'nudge'. I HAD looked at Calibre Companion sometime in the past, forgotten about it and was not 100% certain of how much of what I needed it would do. Was not keen on spending money on an app to find out that it wasn't what I'm looking for. The 'Dutch' in me, dontcha know?!

I may have to break down and check it out.

John
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTRN View Post
Thanks for the 'nudge'. I HAD looked at Calibre Companion sometime in the past, forgotten about it and was not 100% certain of how much of what I needed it would do. Was not keen on spending money on an app to find out that it wasn't what I'm looking for. The 'Dutch' in me, dontcha know?!

I may have to break down and check it out.

John
You can get a refund if it's really not what you want.

from Google Play
Quote:
Seeing the benefits of Calibre Companion’s features can take some time. Do not worry about the 15-minute refund window. If after exploring both kinds of connections you are not satisfied with it, contact us and we will refund your purchase.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
JohnTRN
Enthusiast

You're a wealth of information AnemicOak. Thanks!

John

P.S. Would you happen to know how it does with loading books OUT of the Android Device it lives on?

P.P.S. Had also tried Leger Calibre, which LOOKED like it my do what I needed. The only problem? It's designed to look for a mount point at the /mnt/sdcard/ level and was not able to import from any external storage. Author recognizes that some Android devices have this limitation, but is unable to support all the variations. Sigh.

Last edited by JohnTRN; 01-06-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
JohnTRN
Enthusiast

Does not look like Calibre Companion will do what I'm looking for either. Got a reply back from the program author . . .

Quote:
Our app (CC for short) doesn't replicate all of Calibre's functionality.
It's meant for accessing Calibre's library, downloading its content and
then making it available on the the device running CC. CC doesn't allow
control of or interaction with other devices. The best you could do
would be to use CC to get the books onto your tablet, and then some
other file manager program to copy the books off your tablet and onto
whatever device is plugged in via USB

So, I'm still looking for an Android App for my tablet, that will allow me to manage books and transfer them to other devices.

John
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
As a side note...

One does not need to purchase a standalone app simply to wirelessly transfer one's books from Calibre, or any location, on another computer/laptop. ES File Exlorer (free) accomplishes this task with its integrated LAN feature. Very easy, and quick.

Of course, management of books is a separate requirement.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote