Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
One thing that isn't clear to me is when this "window" for reclaiming a copyright applies. Is 35 years just a minimum time, or a specific window in time after which the opportunity to reclaim the rights is lost? The former makes the most sense to me, but I can't remember seeing it spelled out that way.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
The Dear Author article had more details on dates with examples.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #33
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On re-reading it, I see that the article says that you have a five year window within which to effect the termination. It seems strange to me. Does anyone know why they didn't make it open ended?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
On re-reading it, I see that the article says that you have a five year window within which to effect the termination. It seems strange to me. Does anyone know why they didn't make it open ended?
I would guess to have some sort of certainty of ownership.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I would guess to have some sort of certainty of ownership.
I guess, but notices of termination need to be given at least 2 years in advance, so it's not like a publisher would be caught in the middle of a print run as the copyright is reclaimed. Oh well, maybe this will force heirs to get their act together and quit bickering, or lose their rights forever.