Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
M92: Convinient way to transfer URIs to device?

I just need a little back-and-forth of ideas, please.

In short: a convenient way of getting a list of (often changing) links across to the M92.

Not so short:
During my day on other PCs, I often find or receive links for web articles and pages that I want to peruse later.
Until now, I have set up a separate mail account that I send these links to, then open that account on the M92 and follow links from there.
This approach is a little cumbersome as I have to constantly sign in and out of this account, and my 'normal' mail account if I want to check my mails. No biggie, but..

Does anyone have a slicker suggestion how to get URIs from other PCs to M92, leaving them easily accessible from the M92 browser?
(Note, the connectivity itself is not what I am asking - be it SD card, USB or FTP, but rather the format of the 'collection' itself.)

Anyway, not live-and-death issues here, but if anyone has an idea, please shoot...

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
I don't know a good solution for this either and it'd be really nice to have. It's my first ereader so maybe someone else can tell us what they do.
Anyway, a sort of method I use is this: I have a document on google docs where I dump the interseting links I come across. Then I just open the document through the M92 web browser and go from there. Not much different than your solution.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
I don't know a good solution for this either and it'd be really nice to have. It's my first ereader so maybe someone else can tell us what they do.
Anyway, a sort of method I use is this: I have a document on google docs where I dump the interseting links I come across. Then I just open the document through the M92 web browser and go from there. Not much different than your solution.
Yeah, I thought of doing a simple web document and upload it. Issue here is, either I have to change the HTML document itself and re-upload to host on every change; or I could program a DB driven page, but it seems a lot of work for this simple task.

Cheers!
CJ
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Buecherwurm92
Buecherwurm92 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
In short: a convenient way of getting a list of (often changing) links across to the M92.
It's not something I need, so this is a somewhat theoretical suggestion: use one of the "read later" services (Pocket, Instapaper, Readability) or a Web-based bookmarking service (Delicious, Pinboard, ...) and bookmark the Web interface of that service on the reader.

The advantage is that all these services offer bookmarklets that let you add URLs with a single click from your browser.
Buecherwurm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Device: Onyx M92, K3
You can create a simple .html file on the SD e.g.

<html>
<body>
<a href="http://thesite.com/abc/index.html"> Mylink-1 </p>
<a href="http://thesite.com/abc/myart.pdf"> Mypdf-1 </p>
</body>
</html>

When you open this file with the file explorer and click on the first link,
the desired page will appear.
Clicking on the second link, you will have the option to open the pdf file
or save it in the "SD\downloads" folder.
vvilmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buecherwurm92 View Post
use one of the "read later" services (Pocket, Instapaper, Readability) or a Web-based bookmarking service (Delicious, Pinboard, ...) and bookmark the Web interface of that service on the reader.
That is a very workable solution - actually, I didn't even realise that such services existed. Now, if I want to let them know what I am reading, that's another matter. But good suggestion, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvilmos View Post
You can create a simple .html file on the SD e.g.

<html>
<body>
<a href="http://thesite.com/abc/index.html"> Mylink-1 </p>
<a href="http://thesite.com/abc/myart.pdf"> Mypdf-1 </p>
</body>
</html>

When you open this file with the file explorer and click on the first link,
the desired page will appear.
Clicking on the second link, you will have the option to open the pdf file
or save it in the "SD\downloads" folder.
I fear that this would not really solve my initial issue: I would have to edit the file directly, and as I am not always on the same PC, not do-able; which then mean that I would have to make the file on the PC, then transfer to the reader. Still, it has one added bonus: one file can contain multiple links.
Hm, I wonder it the reader interprets a META redirect, or ditto js?

All in all, you still did me a favour, as I wasn't aware that the reader would serve (in the technological sense) a file directly from storage to browser... so thanks, it opens possibilities.

Cheers!
CJ