Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
griff101
griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: kobo box
Kobo Vox- Software update issue

Opened a new Kobo Vox today for Christmas. Opened it, have it set up on the wireless network.
Kobo asks for Software Update but then it says "can't update" try again.
I'm assuming Kobo software site is overwhelmed, HOWEVER, I can't access the home screen. It won't let me do anything until the software has updated? Is this normal.
Have to say, very bad first impression.
griff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Vox
mine did the same...worked on about the 5th go. i was nervously waiting for it to die or something, but its all set up now and working ok so far.
hope you get it sorted.
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Firestar905
Firestar905 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Software Update Issue

Same thing is happening with my new Kobo Vox. It won't update...I keep getting an error message. I'm hoping that I just need to fully charge the device before I can download the updates. It's frustrating that you can't do anything else until you update. Fingers crossed it works later today.
Firestar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I gave my wife a Vox for Christmas, and she opened while down at a friend's house. Got it onto the 'net via his WiFi and of course, got stuck at the Update failing problem.

Browsed the forums, and saw the advice to try a factory reset (Vox powered down, hold down vol+, power on, and keep holding the vol+ until a message appears that unit is resetting).

This worked perfectly, and the update applied perfectly.

Not sure there is any linkage but I can sure say that a factory reset SEEEMED in our case to let the upgrade happen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
griff101
griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.griff101 put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: kobo box
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I gave my wife a Vox for Christmas, and she opened while down at a friend's house. Got it onto the 'net via his WiFi and of course, got stuck at the Update failing problem.

Browsed the forums, and saw the advice to try a factory reset (Vox powered down, hold down vol+, power on, and keep holding the vol+ until a message appears that unit is resetting).

Not sure there is any linkage but I can sure say that a factory reset SEEEMED in our case to let the upgrade happen.
THANK YOU PETERT...your suggestion worked!!!!...Very much appreciated.
griff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Sooty
Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.Sooty trips the light fantastic.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi Touch, iTouch, Kobo Vox
PeterT's wife is very happy too
Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
PeterT's wife is very happy too
Lol!!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
sandyjunebug
sandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Touch 600
Peter how long did you have to hold the buttons down, I tried for a couple of minutes and nothing happened
sandyjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Remember; the unit HAS to be powered off first!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
Glenn56
Glenn56 began at the beginning.

Santa brought 3 Vox's to our house. One had a one-piece plug, the other two had the two-piece adapter style plug.

The Vox's with the two-piece plugs, updated without issue. The Vox with the one-piece plug, started updating and then gave an error message (twice), however, the third time it updated successfully.

No problems since then.
Glenn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I got my Kobo Vox yesterday. I charged it for 2hours before attempting the update. First of all it kept disconnecting me from the internet and giving me error messages. Once I finally got it to work, the update was very lose to finishing and yet another error message popped up saying storage was full. I have tried the factory reset a few times, it does not work. It just takes me to the welcome screen again, which did not reset, my internet wifi information is still there. HELP!
Cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
kaniska
kaniska began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
no

I returned my KOBO VOX today in Metrotown Chapter.because they did not exchange a new one.I'm glad not to worry about upgrade erorr again.the saleman said that the device is excellent ,just network was wrong temporary. he told me to call kobo service ,and give me a tel number,no , as an immigrant, my poor english did not allow me to ask you so complexed question my dear.The same day afternoon,I came to another chapter store in Grandville and Braodway, when I ask a saleman if there is a good quality kobo vox, he said,oh, you can conside other kobo ebook, vox is now something wrong,can not update!!!!!,understand everyone now???? the company know what's wrong with their device, what they do now is to recall their kobo vox....
kaniska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniska View Post
...when I ask a saleman if there is a good quality kobo vox, he said,oh, you can conside other kobo ebook, vox is now something wrong,can not update!!!!!,understand everyone now???? the company know what's wrong with their device, what they do now is to recall their kobo vox....
Are we to take this as gospel, straight from the horse's mouth, or is it just scuttlebutt circulating among store clerks? A company would only recall product for serious safety concerns. My Vox has been working fine for over a month and updated okay with the Nov17 and Dec19 builds. A couple of times I've seen the screen blink on and off while in sleep mode, but it still functions.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I can barely understand their post (and I don't believe it is purely a language issue). Anyways, what I did understand did not strike me a credible.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
thruitall
thruitall began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I used this successfully (so far) to be able to get the update at least started on my Vox. I had noticed that there wasn't even a screen popping up saying that it was even looking for an update until I tried this. Had left it for more than 20 minutes, but figured it was taking too long. Thanks for the tip!
thruitall is offline   Reply With Quote