Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
RasAlhague
Enthusiast
RasAlhague began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Returned), Kobo Touch, Ipod Touch 4G
First Real Problem in my KT

I've been pretty patient with my Kobo, I didn't mind the factory reset error last firmware update because I was still able to use the touch even if I just press the cancel button. KT is a pretty good device, I like it very much.

But last night, I updated to the latest firmware (1.9.10) and waited for my books to load. While loading for the first time in that firmware, I first noticed this new loading screen that instead of saying "Processing content", there's this image of a kobo touch (the one with a face) and five squares underneath it that lights up one by one.

Anyway, my kobo was taking quite a longtime to load, but I didn't mind it at first because I've got tons of books in my touch. Then, I fell asleep and when I woke up about six hours later, I was quite weirded out to find it still loading. I touched and moved my finger on the screen and flashes of my books and reading awards appeared very briefly on the screen, maybe about half a second or so and returned to the loading screen.

Then I powered off my KT and took out the MicroSD card (That's where all my books are), then turned it on again. I didn't place any book in my Kobo's internal memory, so I kinda hoped that it will load faster this time, and if it did, then I need to reduce the amount of my sideloaded books, but then, nothing happened, the KT is again stuck on the loading screen when I turned it on.
I also tried doing 'soft' resets to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
I wasn't having any problems in 1.9.9 except for that 'Fix Storage Error', but I can easily ignore that since I am still able to use my kobo.
BTW, I live somewhere in Asia right now, and I'm not gonna come back to Ca 'til next year, so I guess I can't exchange it.
RasAlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I had a problem quite similar to that. I had to hard reset it and plug it into the computer to re-install the update. Hope that works.

P.S Just reminding you that if you won't have access to a computer with the Kobo desktop app for the next few days I would try some other things first, because wit the firmware on the Kobo right now won't let you do anything without going to a computer first which sucks.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
EverC
EverC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kobo Touch (returned)
I had the exact same problem last week! I had problems adding any new books on my Kobo Touch after the firmware update. It took me many tries just to even add one single book to my Kobo and it was a hit and miss.
But...whatever you do, do NOT factory reset your Kobo Touch!

I did that, because I thought I should start over with a clean slate after the storage errors I had with 1.9.9 (those were annoying, but always fixable though ) and hoped that would resolve the problem.

After I reset my Kobo, I was never able to put more than around 28 books on my Kobo. I have tried every way to put them back, with calibre, without calibre, small batches, etc... It would always either crash or get stuck processing for hours.
EverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
RasAlhague
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverC View Post
I had the exact same problem last week! I had problems adding any new books on my Kobo Touch after the firmware update. It took me many tries just to even add one single book to my Kobo and it was a hit and miss.

I did that, because I thought I should start over with a clean slate after the storage errors I had with 1.9.9 (those were annoying, but always fixable though ) and hoped that would resolve the problem.

After I reset my Kobo, I was never able to put more than around 28 books on my Kobo. I have tried every way to put them back, with calibre, without calibre, small batches, etc... It would always either crash or get stuck processing for hours.
Oh my, I already did! But I couldn't wait for it to complete the reset so I just left it doing it's work and went to school.
When I came back after twelve hours, it ran out of battery while resetting (I know, because it still shows the image of the smiley kobo with five boxes under it).

I'm charging it atm, and it's not turning on when I use the on/off slider.
But I guess it's because of very low battery? Funny, I've just charged it last night.

Oh, wait wait, update:
It turned powered on now. But it hasn't still completed the reset. I don't think that it's even resetting. It's just loading, the squares underneath the smiley kobo keeps on moving. I tired that slider + home button to reset, but... I guess nothing happened. And, there's this blue blinking light in my Kobo and if it means that it's resetting, then it's taking forever to do so.

Anyway, have you tried not updating the firmware to 1.9.10?
I know 1.9.5 sucks, but do you think that firmware version allow you to load all your books?

Last edited by RasAlhague; 09-14-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
RasAlhague
Enthusiast

I wonder where are some of the people in the Kobo team are?
They used to post here and answer questions about KT and stuff. Hmm.. Oh well.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmm... I was going to say hard reset it. I'd remove the SD Card and do this. If it then loads into the normal home screen I would then go in to settings/device informaiton and just double check I have the latest firmware. If not plug into computer and update again without the SD Card in. If so I'd try just adding some books to the main device without the SD Card before trying that again.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Some problems are fixed with a pin reset--using a small paperclip in the hole in the back. Much less of a project than starting over with a new install. I'd always try that first.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RasAlhague View Post
I wonder where are some of the people in the Kobo team are?
They used to post here and answer questions about KT and stuff. Hmm.. Oh well.
Sameer posted in the forum on Sunday. They are around.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Bring the Kobo back to a Chapters (if you bought it in store).. sounds like you have deffective SDRAM in there.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
RasAlhague
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Hmm... I was going to say hard reset it. I'd remove the SD Card and do this. If it then loads into the normal home screen I would then go in to settings/device informaiton and just double check I have the latest firmware. If not plug into computer and update again without the SD Card in. If so I'd try just adding some books to the main device without the SD Card before trying that again.
I took the SD card off and hard reseted it but doing that slider + home button press. Nothing happened. Now, not even the smiley kobo is showing. Just a blank screen.
And also, I've just updated to the latest firmware (1.9.10) last night. Just before this error appeared.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
RasAlhague
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Some problems are fixed with a pin reset--using a small paperclip in the hole in the back. Much less of a project than starting over with a new install. I'd always try that first.
I did try that too, before hard resetting it (forgot to mention it in my first post) but, nothing happened there, it just kept on loading.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Strange problem. Can you try doing a hard reset?

1) Plug in the device in for at least 30 min - 1hour.
2) Hold down the home button and power on the device.

Let me know if that works.

Sameer.
That is how you are doing the hard reset?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
RasAlhague
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
That is how you are doing the hard reset?
Yes.
But the only thing that happens is that a blue light next to the power slider slowly blinks on and off.
But the loading screen doesn't change. It just continues to load.

Then, after a while, the blue light will stop blinking but I'm still stuck in the loading screen.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
EverC
EverC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kobo Touch (returned)
I tried to upload my books and leaving it at the 1.9.4 firmware it came with, without activating it with Kobo desktop. Worked for me until I uploaded around 28-30 books.
I think my internal storage was finally corrupted after crashing quite badly a couple of times and even factory resets couldn't save it.
I spent half a day trying everything to fix it. I finally gave up and returned it to the store, but because I liked it so much when it actually worked, I gave it another chance.
The second one did not give me a storage error, but it was so slow, it was so hard to ignore it. It was so bad to the point I was really ticked off and took that one back the next day.
I was so desperate for an ereader though that I decided to try the Amazon Kindle and even though it is not as fun to play around with, it does load my books very fast compared to the Kobo. Just transfer via usb and no "processing content" screen. I had to turn all my epubs into mobis with calibre, but now I can actually read my books, move them around, edit them, remove them, upload some more etc without fearing a storage error or a crash, but I'll wait and see if the Kindle craps out on me too...

Last edited by EverC; 09-15-2011 at 12:48 AM.
EverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #15
RasAlhague
Enthusiast

Quote:
I tried to upload my books and leaving it at the 1.9.4 firmware it came with, without activating it with Kobo desktop. Worked for me until I uploaded around 28-30 books.
I think my internal storage was finally corrupted after crashing quite badly a couple of times and even factory resets couldn't save it.
I spent half a day trying everything to fix it. I finally gave up and returned it to the store, but because I liked it so much when it actually worked, I gave it another chance.
The second one did not give me a storage error, but it was so slow, it was so hard to ignore it. It was so bad to the point I was really ticked off and took that one back the next day.
I was so desperate for an ereader though that I decided to try the Amazon Kindle and even though it is not as fun to play around with, it does load my books very fast compared to the Kobo. Just transfer via usb and no "processing content" screen. I had to turn all my epubs into mobis with calibre, but now I can actually read my books, move them around, edit them, remove them, upload some more etc without fearing a storage error or a crash, but I'll wait and see if the Kindle craps out on me too...
Sounds like you're having fun with your Kindle, that's good.
I think my Kobo is really quite dead, it's a shame since I really liked it and I treated it like a baby. I'd like to get a Kindle too, but there's no SD card slot for my books.
I think I'm gonna buy a Sony PRS-900 or the new Sony Ereader that just came out since it's much more cheaper than the 900.
IRex models look good but it's too expensive! Oh well...

Good luck with your Kindle.