Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Insert specified cover as first page?

Hey all,
I'm having issues with 4-5 books that i simply cannot get the cover i have specified to stick when it is transferred to my PRS-650.
I seem to remember an option for embedding the cover into the epub as the first page was an option in calibre (or im going mad), but i can't seem to find this anymore.

Can anyone shed any light on how to do this?
The PRS-650 seems to be picking up the first page of these books and using that as the thumbnail/cover instead of what i have specified.

digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Hey all,
I'm having issues with 4-5 books that i simply cannot get the cover i have specified to stick when it is transferred to my PRS-650.
I seem to remember an option for embedding the cover into the epub as the first page was an option in calibre (or im going mad), but i can't seem to find this anymore.

Can anyone shed any light on how to do this?
The PRS-650 seems to be picking up the first page of these books and using that as the thumbnail/cover instead of what i have specified.

Metadata is updated in epub when using send to device I am not sure if cover is included in that.
The option you are talking about comes when you convert to epub. Maybe enabling that option in preferences would update your cover in send to device as well.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I can't find the option in the conversion settings either, which is weird
I've already converted them epub -> epub plenty of times trying to fix it
Old 12-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
This isn't a option it is the default. Do nothing and calibre will use whatever cover you have in calibre during the conversion.

Quote:
I've already converted them epub -> epub plenty of times trying to fix it
Converting epub to epub is the solution.

However if you previously had checked Use cover from source file then the conversion will keep using the cover from the source file (see attached). I always leave this unchecked and I always have calibre use the cover I put in the calibre library.

Also ensure you don't have No default cover checked under epub output(see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub_output.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	63192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Usesourcecover.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	63193  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-21-2010 at 12:12 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
digital_steve
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
However if you previously had checked Use cover from source file then the conversion will keep using the cover from the source file (see attached). I always leave this unchecked and I always have calibre use the cover I put in the calibre library.

Also ensure you don't have No default cover checked under epub output(see attached).
Good info mate and this is exactly what i have done, with nil result... even with deleting the sony thumbnails so it extracts them again on resync

I literally (heh) can't get covers to stick on 4 books. They show up initially, then the sony screen refreshes and seems to take the first page of the book instead... which is hideous.

I even changed the 'save cover seperately' option as well to see if i got any joy.

I'm stumped on this one.

Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
interesting, open a ticket and attach one of these epub files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
digital_steve
Muppet

Will do, once i get home
I will try again with them before doing this, so i don't waste anyone's time.