Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Reader too slippery

Yesterday I was reading in the bed and removed the original cover to see how it feels to hold it. Well...it was very difficult. The housing has a very nice finish but it just slips through my fingers. It's very hard to get a grip on it and therefore easy to drop. So, are my hands that smooth or is the Reader too slippery?

Another thing that surprised me was how hard it is to put the cover back on! I'm positive that there will be a few people on this planet who cracked their screen when they tried to push it back in.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The casing is rather slick, isn't it? I suppose if you wanted to handle it without the case very much then those egrips things might be in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Another thing that surprised me was how hard it is to put the cover back on!
Yeah, it is a bit intimidating. It's a bit better if you lay the Reader face-down on something firm & flat, and press the cover onto it. Then you don't put as much pressure on the screen.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Yeah, it is a bit intimidating. It's a bit better if you lay the Reader face-down on something firm & flat, and press the cover onto it. Then you don't put as much pressure on the screen.
That's a good idea! I tried it and it work like a charm.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Yeah, I took the cover off the first day while just playing around with it... was scared silly I was going to crack it trying to get it back on! Laid it flat but even still, didn't like handling it that way. Do the covers you can buy replace the one it comes with, or are they something that goes over top of it? Was wondering if the other covers are so hard to put on, if they do replace it.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah, I cringe sometimes when putting the cover one, even when I put the Reader face down on a flat surface. Seems like a lot of stress to put on a unit that I want to last "forever." Fortunately, I don't have to remove/replace the cover often, I just keep it on and it fits in the dock.

Sony has also indicated that they strengthened the backplane of the Reader (whatever that is) just before they made the final version. Don't know, but I can't help but think it was because of the stress the cover attaching puts on the device.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlik
Do the covers you can buy replace the one it comes with, or are they something that goes over top of it? Was wondering if the other covers are so hard to put on, if they do replace it.
They do replace it, and if anything, they seem to be a bit harder to put on.

That's both reading between the lines of others' posts, and my own impression from back in mid-September, so salt to taste.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I use a stuff called "Plast-dip" to coat small hand tool handles for better grip. I can just picture someone dunking the reader in...

"I said not the screen..."
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've never taken the cover off. Do they sell replacements for the standard cover? Like the same thing as the standard, not one of the leather ones.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I use a stuff called "Plast-dip" to coat small hand tool handles for better grip.
I've seen that stuff advertised -- can you put it on with a brush rather than dipping?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Yes, you can paint it on, takes a couple of coats and about 15-20 minutes between each one.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

I could probably live with that.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
The covers that you purchase through Sony, red and whatever colors they are, are they the same size as the black one that came with it. I know prior to buying mine at the sony store, I had read it came with a cover and the gal wanted to sell me one, she showed me a few and in my mind( LOL) I thought it looked larger than what I am seeing now with the black one. Are the covers the same exact size?

Also I registered mine and it said the numbers were on the back of the unit, so I had to take that darn thing off and yes I snapped it back on but I didn't do it as Bob has said, upside down, and I was pushing on the screen and trying to do it nicely......... yikes...... well learned what to do if there is a next time. Plus I bought a 3 year warranty so hopefully if anything had happened that would have been covered.... I know dropping it or water damage are part of the warranty.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
Booky McGee
Booky McGee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlik
Was wondering if the other covers are so hard to put on, if they do replace it.
The leather covers they sell for $40 are off by a tiny degree compared to the stock cover(probably because it's a human on a sewing machine compared to fully machine made). They don't feel like they fit at all until you find the correct angle. It was only harder because I was trying to push it on while holding the Reader. Whoever came up with the face-down method.. genius. I took mine off just now and put it back on in seconds.

One thing I didn't know when ordering the leather cover is that it is suede rather than normal leather. I expected regular leather, but it's still a nice case. Hopefully we'll see more options in '07.
Booky McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booky McGee
Whoever came up with the face-down method.. genius.
Heh, the Sony Product Manager for the Reader showed us that while Bob and I (and some others) were out in San Diego at the Blogger's day. I'm sure they had lots of time to think about it.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #15
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Heh, the Sony Product Manager for the Reader showed us that while Bob and I (and some others) were out in San Diego at the Blogger's day. I'm sure they had lots of time to think about it.

It's strange that Sony didn't mentioned that in the manual. Like I said before, I'm sure here and there will pop a screen by trying to push the cover on.