Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Please recommend me a scary ghost story

I read "The Woman in Black" last week expecting it to be a bit more like the trailer for the film, and it kinda wasn't scary at all.

But I got in the mood to read something really scary with ghosts, so now I need a recommendation. Whatchu got?
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I read "The Woman in Black" last week expecting it to be a bit more like the trailer for the film, and it kinda wasn't scary at all.
Me too! Not scary, frightening, or even the teensiest bit creepy.

Quote:
But I got in the mood to read something really scary with ghosts, so now I need a recommendation. Whatchu got?
I haven't read many ghost stories, but I liked Grave's End by Elaine Mercado.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
"The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters.

Is it a ghost story or not? It's very unsettling, whatever you decide at the end.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
"The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters.

Is it a ghost story or not? It's very unsettling, whatever you decide at the end.
I have been eyeing this up for ages! I keep almost buying it then changing my mind.
I think I'll definitely have to give it a whirl.

I like anything by James Herbert. Especially The Magic Cottage, The Ghosts Of Sleath, The Haunting, the Secret Of Crickley Hall.

I also discovered Sarah Rayne not so long ago and have read a couple by her, The Tower Of Silence and also Spiderlight. I think her books are classed as "psychological suspense" but the two I read I would also class as ghost stories.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill ?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Maybe "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill ?
Isn't Joe Hill the son of Stephen King? I've never read anything by him but I do enjoy King's books. Maybe I'll check that one out.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Reading Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
....But I got in the mood to read something really scary with ghosts, so now I need a recommendation. Whatchu got?
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher
The Riverhouse by G. Norman Lippert
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist

I've started reading the sample to "Heart Shaped Box" and put myself on the waiting list for it at my library. Looks pretty good so far, I just hope it's scary.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"The Haunting of Hill House," widely considered the best haunted house story ever written.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
How about some of the classics, such as the ghost stories of M. R. James, Sheridan Le Fanu, Algernon Blackwood, E. F Benson, etc.? OK, they're quiet horror, but they're short, so you won't have to invest much time in reading them.

And many of them are public domain, so they can be found on this site for free...
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
TheRailroadguy
TheRailroadguy doesn't litterTheRailroadguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire
How about "Deadly Night" by Aiden James? This is a Kindle book and it involves a team of ghost hunters .They find that terror does not always come from the other side of the grave!
TheRailroadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Scott Nicholson has 2 Omnibus editions available for free right now:

Three Ghost Stories ( One book by him, one book by Aiden James and one book by JR Rain)
The other is Ethereal Messenger
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRailroadguy View Post
How about "Deadly Night" by Aiden James? This is a Kindle book and it involves a team of ghost hunters .They find that terror does not always come from the other side of the grave!
I've just been perusing this author on Amazon and his Cades Cove books look good and have a few reviews saying they're creepy. Wishlisted and will probably buy them tomorrow. So thanks for the recommendation!

I've also just bought The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters and also The Leaping by Tom Fletcher, although I've gone for paperback used from Amazon marketplace. I love a creepy tale!
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Margaret Thatcher's biography.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
TheRailroadguy
TheRailroadguy doesn't litterTheRailroadguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traye View Post
I've just been perusing this author on Amazon and his Cades Cove books look good and have a few reviews saying they're creepy. Wishlisted and will probably buy them tomorrow. So thanks for the recommendation!

I've also just bought The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters and also The Leaping by Tom Fletcher, although I've gone for paperback used from Amazon marketplace. I love a creepy tale!
You are quite welcome for the recommendation Traye and yes the Cades Cove series is yet another one involving a ghost and an angry ghost at that!
TheRailroadguy is offline   Reply With Quote