Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-10-2023, 09:57 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Book-details panels and keyboard focus

I'm referring to the detached BD panels (non-modal dialogue boxes) not the embedded BD panel under or to the right of the book list/grid, i.e:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-11 112940.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	201492

After popping either of these (in my 'priority' order)
  1. I can't find a way to return focus to the Book list via the keyboard, apart from closing the dialogue.

There is a Focus the book list shortcut which I have set to Ctrl+Alt+L, alas it doesn't work. Assuming that can't be easily fixed, I suggest a Return to Book list item be provided in the panel context menu.

And there needs to be a way of returning focus to a panel that's already 'popped' - I suggest by re-pressing the relevant shortcut, or via re-selection of the Book details menu item.
  2. I can tab through the columns and initiate a library search by pressing Enter or Return. I find this significantly easier than fishing in the Tag Browser (which I normally have hidden).

I can also access the column's context menu via the menu-key or Shift+F10, but on a category column the context menu is incomplete - there's no Manage <whatever> or Remove <whatever> option… yet there is if I right click… why the difference?

AFAIK, the Menu key and Shift+10 are supposed to be the equivalent of right click on Windows, and I haven't found any other instances in calibre where that's not the case.
  3. I can't Tab to the 'Configure' link, IMO it should get focus after Fit cover, but focus goes to Previous.

That's the problem with adding new features, someone will use them

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:10 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I could resolve the return of keyboard focus to book list by putting a calibre://show-book link into a long-text column.

However, I can't figure out how to do that for existing books via Bulk metadata search and replace.

I can replace an empty long-text field with a suitably wrapped calibre://show-book/_hex_-426f6f6b73/NNNNNN easy enough, but I don't want NNNNNN, I want the value of the id column.

I tried replacing NNNNNN with {id} to no avail.

Can templates be used in the replace string?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-11-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Advert
Old 05-12-2023, 01:54 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Use template as the source field, (^.*$) as the search field, and \1 as the replacement field. Ensure that the source template produces the answer you want.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:22 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Use template as the source field, (^.*$) as the search field, and \1 as the replacement field. Ensure that the source template produces the answer you want.
Thanks - I 'sort of' tried that, but I got hung up on wanting to use the template in the output, then I wondered if my 'problems' were caused by having the \1 in a bowl of HTML soup.

But I found a different solution that has given me what I want, I used an existing #book-row virtual column whose template is {id} as the search field.

But now at least, I know how template searches are meant to be used.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-15-2023 at 09:01 PM.