Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
annoyed in the UK

Just bought a kindle 2.
I knew before I bought it that newspapers were more expensive in the UK and didn't display pictures, what i didn't realize was that many books can not be bought if you have a UK account !!!!!
does anyone know how to get round this .. All the books I decide to buy seem to be US only ........
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
I have been lucky, so far. Every book I want, even some obscure ones, is available to UK customers.

The alternative is to buy another version such as ePub, strip the DRM and convert to Mobi using Calibre. I have converted all the ePub format books I had previously bought and put them on my Kindle. I am not trying to profit from stripping the DRM, just making sure I can read books I have purchased on my current ebook reader.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
I have been lucky, so far. Every book I want, even some obscure ones, is available to UK customers.

The alternative is to buy another version such as ePub, strip the DRM and convert to Mobi using Calibre. I have converted all the ePub format books I had previously bought and put them on my Kindle. I am not trying to profit from stripping the DRM, just making sure I can read books I have purchased on my current ebook reader.
sounds good but long winded

I just bought a book from amazon in paper as i really wanted to read it, but not available in the uk - felt dirty but had to get it
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I know that I've heard that there are some in Canada that just put their one click accounts to a US address and then use thier credit cards to buy US Amazon gift cards (the ones you email) and get around it that way. So I've heard. ;0) Don't know if that'd work in the UK or not.
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
I know that I've heard that there are some in Canada that just put their one click accounts to a US address and then use thier credit cards to buy US Amazon gift cards (the ones you email) and get around it that way. So I've heard. ;0) Don't know if that'd work in the UK or not.
Should be working. At least I do so in Germany. I only download via USB, as I've got the former US-version, not the international one. I switch between my accounts as I please. One book actually was cheaper in the German account, but mainly I purchase in the US one. All with my German credit card. In the beginning, I've sent myself gift cards from another account. With the introduction of international Kindle 2, this step became obsolete (although it never did bother me).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Find a cheap vpn provider. I know at least one that gets you 5GB for $8.50. Plenty for tons of book downloads.

Use Giftvouchers. Or even Kindle for PC.

Strip drm

deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Should be working. At least I do so in Germany. I only download via USB, as I've got the former US-version, not the international one. I switch between my accounts as I please. One book actually was cheaper in the German account, but mainly I purchase in the US one. All with my German credit card. In the beginning, I've sent myself gift cards from another account. With the introduction of international Kindle 2, this step became obsolete (although it never did bother me).
Why did the need for gift cards become obsolete? As far as I know you still need them to use a US account and take advantage of better selection and lower prices?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Why did the need for gift cards become obsolete? As far as I know you still need them to use a US account and take advantage of better selection and lower prices?
No, you dont need the gift card thing. Not sure if it was really ever needed but that method always worked and had the added benefit of avoiding all those small charges. And some banks were contacting customers, suspecting fraudulent use of their credit card, because of those continuous small charges.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
No, you dont need the gift card thing. Not sure if it was really ever needed but that method always worked and had the added benefit of avoiding all those small charges. And some banks were contacting customers, suspecting fraudulent use of their credit card, because of those continuous small charges.
So, how do you do pay then? Just use a foreign credit card with all the real data?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes Hans. And did it again today. Not meaning to though, but downloaded something through whispernet. Something I try to avoid.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Yes Hans. And did it again today. Not meaning to though, but downloaded something through whispernet. Something I try to avoid.
Good to know that works! But be careful, Amazon has even blacklisted accounts of people on the basis of foreign IP addresses while downloading to the computers alone. It seems that they have periods when their controls are very loose and then perhaps the publishers complain and they become very strict again.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
No, not necessary anymore. I can use my German credit card in my US account.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Things are getting better for UK buyers - eg, Random House, a large UK publisher, has recently "signed on" with Amazon, which means that we in the UK can now buy "their" authors, such as Dan Brown and Terry Pratchett.

You could, of course, have checked this out before buying your Kindle .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Good to know that works! But be careful, Amazon has even blacklisted accounts of people on the basis of foreign IP addresses while downloading to the computers alone. It seems that they have periods when their controls are very loose and then perhaps the publishers complain and they become very strict again.
Yes, I agree it is very random as to who gets that email. I have saved all my books to my laptop and rarely turn on the wireless but download to the PC.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No, not necessary anymore. I can use my German credit card in my US account.
And you can do that since you have the international Kindle?? So let us be quiet and enjoy, and let sleeping dogs lie!