Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Remove spacing between paragraphs doesn't.

I tried converting an ebook with annoyingly large spaces between the paragraphs to epub, using this option, and nothing changed.

Is this a bug? Whether or no, is there another way to remove these spaces?
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It depends on how the spaces are created in the source file. If they're "hard" spaces, they can't be removed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Djehuty
Connoisseur

I think I may have found the problem. I converted the file to html, and every paragraph is set up thus:

Code:
<div style="margin-top: 1em; text-indent: 1em"><font size="3">Blah blah blah, paragraph 1.</font></div><div style="margin-top: 1em"/>
<div style="margin-top: 1em; text-indent: 1em"><font size="3">Blah blah blah, paragraph 2.</font></div><div style="margin-top: 1em"/>
And so on.

I've just re-converted it with instructions to use zero margins for every DIV tag, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions on how I could force the book to behave? I really hate having every paragraph double-spaced this way.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Removing this type of spacing will be supported by calibre 0.6, until then you're out of luck.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Djehuty
Connoisseur

I guess I'll just have to wait until then to read this book.
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Just open up the html file in a text editor and do a find/replace job.

Eg:
Code:
<div style="margin-top: 1em; text-indent: 1em"><font size="3">Blah blah blah, paragraph 1.</font></div><div style="margin-top: 1em"/>
Find
Code:
<div style="margin-top: 1em; text-indent: 1em">
Replace all
Code:
<div style="text-indent: 1em">
And (maybe) do the same with
Code:
<div style="margin-top: 1em"/>
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Wouldn't just deleting (or replacing by nothing) all the '<div style="margin-top: 1em"/>'s work?

(The above's the quickest solution, while the 'better' solution would be to replace things such that you had '<p>Blah blah blah, paragraph 1.</p>', etc, then to style that in the header, e.g.
Code:
<head>
    <style type="text/css">
        p { text-indent: 1.5em; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0}
    </style>
</head>
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote