Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #346
Zulithe
Zulithe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle [third generation]
I'm seeing pretty bad splotches, but confused about how normal this is. it seems VERY common. I will wait a couple weeks and maybe order a replacement, hopefully by that time they have cleared out defective units
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #347
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
My Paperwhite arrived yesterday. I was a little apprehensive, after seeing the variety of reviews on MR. I can see the shadows at the bottom from the LEDs, and a little half-inch strip of brightness on the bottom left, as some others have reported. After reading a little on it yesterday afternoon, and over an hour on it last night (in the bedroom, in the mostly-dark) I can honestly say I don't notice any of that. I can also see a little ghosting on occasion (Page Refresh turned on), but that again isn't a real distraction.

Compared to my Kindle Fire, I find the light controls much easier to use, and I really prefer this light to the backlit KF, and prefer either of those hugely over the booklight I was using with my K3. The length of the page is shorter on the PW than on the Fire, but I'm sure I'll adjust to that.

No noticeable blotchiness on mine, other than that briefly attributable to ghosting. It's either not present on mine, or it's something that my eyes are not sensitive to.

It's a PW with Wifi & SO, serial number starts with B024 1501, firmware 5.2.0.

Looking forward to shopping for a case today.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #348
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
My Paperwhite arrived yesterday. I was a little apprehensive, after seeing the variety of reviews on MR. I can see the shadows at the bottom from the LEDs, and a little half-inch strip of brightness on the bottom left, as some others have reported. After reading a little on it yesterday afternoon, and over an hour on it last night (in the bedroom, in the mostly-dark) I can honestly say I don't notice any of that. I can also see a little ghosting on occasion (Page Refresh turned on), but that again isn't a real distraction.

Compared to my Kindle Fire, I find the light controls much easier to use, and I really prefer this light to the backlit KF, and prefer either of those hugely over the booklight I was using with my K3. The length of the page is shorter on the PW than on the Fire, but I'm sure I'll adjust to that.

No noticeable blotchiness on mine, other than that briefly attributable to ghosting. It's either not present on mine, or it's something that my eyes are not sensitive to.

It's a PW with Wifi & SO, serial number starts with B024 1501, firmware 5.2.0.

Looking forward to shopping for a case today.
Yeah,

The more I use it , the more pleased I am. Way better than LCD or external lights via cover.

By the way, going to create a thread for Kindle PW covers .... ... if not created yet, so we can exchange opinions as well. I'm looking for one too.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #349
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoof View Post
Can anyone who ordered on or after Oct 2 share their est. ship date? I ordered my PW through a buddy in the states, but he's out of town at the moment so I can't verify the estimated ship date with him
I ordered mine WO Oct 2 with estimated ship date of Nov 2-15.. Prime customer. I wonder if you were to order WOO would you get it sooner? less demand?
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #350
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Turn Page Refresh to On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
Go to Home \ Settings \ Reading Options and turn Page Refresh to On to eliminate ghosting.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #351
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I ordered mine WO Oct 2 with estimated ship date of Nov 2-15.. Prime customer. I wonder if you were to order WOO would you get it sooner? less demand?
Doug
Probably not, but you could try it. It's only a pre-order so you're cc won't be charged, then just cancel it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #352
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
What is a WO and what is a WOO ?

Still trying to find out where my PW is. It left myus on time, it is apparently somewhere in Spain, myus has no clue (as in virtually none whatsoever) and wants me to contact fedex directly, fedex CS number in Spain sounds like it has been disconnected.

What is not a good sign at all is that my delivery date keeps getting pushed back, it went from October 5th to October 8th to now October 9th although according to fedex tracking service, the PW is at the local fedex facility center. This sounds to me as if they lost the package.
The 12th is a bank holiday here, so if they go on screwing up, I won't have the PW until the 15th if they manage to find it by then .

If I need to send it back, I'll have to charter my own jet I guess.....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #353
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Aceflor, could it sit in customs?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #354
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
What is a WO and what is a WOO ?
Presumable "with offers" and "without offers".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #355
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Aceflor, could it sit in customs?
Nope, it cleared customs in Madrid on Thursday and I am near Malaga, it is actually here somewhere according to fedex, but the tracking page is full of exceptions which make no sense to me at all.

I will have to try to reach them tomorrow. Between that and the reports of bad units, it just feels like a bore really (or in not polite and understated UK English : "es ist zum kotzen" )

Last edited by aceflor; 10-07-2012 at 01:02 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #356
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I called in yesterday for a replacement and it was shipped today with estimated delivery of tomorrow.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #357
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Mine is here! In Australia.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #358
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Geeesh, what are you guys using as overseas shipment method? $100 ultra priority mail?

My (October 3rd sent) one will arrive at my mail forwarder in the US only tomorrow.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #359
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
Geeesh, what are you guys using as overseas shipment method? $100 ultra priority mail?

My (October 3rd sent) one will arrive at my mail forwarder in the US only tomorrow.
DHL - it left Florida Wednesday afternoon (USA time) and arrived into the Aussie depot at 3pm Saturday having cleared customs; but the depot closes for collection at 12.30 Saturday so had to wait until today (Monday). Cost of bringing 7lbs package (kindle, 2 covers, some books, clothing etc - about 10 items in all) was $65 USD.

I have a Prime account with Amazon so the kindle arrived into my USA box on Tuesday.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #360
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
DHL - it left Florida Wednesday afternoon (USA time) and arrived into the Aussie depot at 3pm Saturday having cleared customs; but the depot closes for collection at 12.30 Saturday so had to wait until today (Monday). Cost of bringing 7lbs package (kindle, 2 covers, some books, clothing etc - about 10 items in all) was $65 USD.

I have a Prime account with Amazon so the kindle arrived into my USA box on Tuesday.
So how is it?! And how come you got two covers?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote