Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Tanzaku
Enthusiast
Tanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
Nine fun surprises about my Sony 600

Now that I've had my Sony Reader PRS-600 for a few weeks, I've learned some things about this that are very pleasant surprises. Maybe these have been mentioned elsewhere and I missed them, but just in case, here goes . . .
  1. When I want to flip forward through a book an indeterminate number of pages, I can swipe like I'm turning a page but then hold the stylus down at the end of the swipe. The pages flip through at a very quick clip, fast enough to be speedy but slow enough that I can see what's on the page and stop when I get to the page I'm looking for. Then just lift the stylus and I'm there! Sure beats the "jump ahead 10 pages" that was on my older Sony 505.
  2. Speaking of page turning, the Sony 600 has a noticeably faster page turn than the 505. I used to have to anticipate my arrival at the end of the last sentence on the page and start the turn early so as to not break the rhythm of my reading pace. Not with the 600. Page turns are almost instantaneous. Almost.
  3. I started using Calibre to organize my 800+ books with tags and consistent author naming conventions. After uploading the files to the 600 using Calibre, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Sony had automatically created "collections" based on the tags. Unexpected and very neat! I never used collections on my 505 because they were a bit cumbersome to create. Not now!
  4. I had stopped using a SDHC card in my 505 because it drained the battery so much faster than without it. They must have done something different in the 600 because the addition of the SDHC card doesn't seem to have the same effect on battery life. Some, but not nearly as drastic as it was on the 505.
  5. Audio books are now a bit more practical because you can navigate more easily to the audio screen while reading along with the book. The 505 was a very cumbersome navigation from book to audio and back. With the 600, you are three steps away from the pause button. Better, but not perfect. (I wish there was a book mark feature in the audio files, a practical necessity to make this my primary audiobook device. What really hurts is that the audio loses its place if you connect to the computer and upload new books. Reindexing the library wipes out the current playback position. But, I digress.)
  6. Although the physical size of the 600 is the same as the 505 and I was able to use the leather cover from the 505, I was disappointed that the lighted cover from Sony (model PRSA-CL1) does not fit the 600. The light wedge does not line up with the page window, so it's useless. That led me to try reading without any cover at all, just hand-holding the bare Reader. I love it! The back of the 600 is not the polished metal that it was on the 505. It's not sticky, but the rubberish back provides a bit of friction so the Reader is very comfortable to hold without worrying about it slipping out of my hand — and much lighter — without the cover. I scoffed at first at the neoprene slip case that came with the 600, but now I prefer it to the leather cover I had been using with my 505. Who knew?
  7. Swiping to turn pages. I was skeptical. I thought I'd miss the two buttons from the 505 that allowed me to turn pages with either hand — a fatigue-relief factor. To the contrary, I love the light weight of the stylus and the ease of page turning with that natural swipe anywhere on the page. Now I prefer it and find the buttons on the 505 a restriction.
  8. Somehow I missed that I could upload my notes as RTF using the Sony software. I knew I wanted the ability to make notes, but assumed I'd use them to find passages I wanted to remember but would eventually have to type them into my computer. Well, I still have do to some typing because the entire text of highlighted notes is not uploaded, just the first 100 characters. Too bad. At least it uploads the entire content of text notes.
  9. Touch menus. So much faster! I was not expecting that! Way more convenient than the en buttons, arrows, and enter button on the 505.

There has been so much written about the difference in contrast and glare between the 505 and the 600 that I was hesitant to make the upgrade. I procrastinated. A steal of a deal from the Sony store convinced me to gamble. Now that I have the 600, I am so glad I made the leap. Sure, the contrast and glare are different and, like everyone else, I wish the 600 had the display of the 505. However, the improvements in the 600 are so dramatic, so useful, so user-friendly that if I'd known I was going to be this happy with it, I would not have hesitated for a micro-second.

Brooks
Tanzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
When I want to flip forward through a book an indeterminate number of pages, I can swipe like I'm turning a page but then hold the stylus down at the end of the swipe.
You can also simply press and hold in one of the page turn buttons to achieve the same thing, of course. Personally I prefer to turn pages using the buttons, but I know that many people prefer to use the touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
PlainBobMax
PlainBobMax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have a question for you. You mentioned that with Calibre, the reader created collections based on tags. I'm wondering how it handled books with multiple tags -- Can one book be listed in more than one collection? Or did it just create the collection based on the first tag in the book's list?
PlainBobMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It is referenced in as many collections as you have tags. Some of mine use Horror, Short Story, and Lovecraft. It appears in all three. Note there is only one copy of the book - collections are only a database reference. And it works great! Most people asking for Folders do not realize what an elegant solution Collections are.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
PlainBobMax
PlainBobMax began at the beginning.

Thank you. I didn't realize that. I figured it worked just like folders. Good to know.
PlainBobMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
haino
Connoisseur
haino began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Brooks. Found it a really interesting and informative post
haino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
another *new* feature for PRS 600

I saw from a review of the PRS 700....
trick works for the PRS 600 too!

To quickly make a bookmark.. double tap the right corner of the page..
to remove.. do same..

This is much faster than.. using the buttons!
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
The page turning info is in the user's manual for the PRS-600, as is the bookmark shortcut.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
[*]Audio books are now a bit more practical because you can navigate more easily to the audio screen while reading along with the book. The 505 was a very cumbersome navigation from book to audio and back. With the 600, you are three steps away from the pause button. Better, but not perfect. (I wish there was a book mark feature in the audio files, a practical necessity to make this my primary audiobook device. What really hurts is that the audio loses its place if you connect to the computer and upload new books. Reindexing the library wipes out the current playback position. But, I digress.)
Brooks
Hi:
Excuse me, are you doing Option(button)->now playing(menu)->pause(menu)?
Or there is another way?
Thanks
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
I saw from a review of the PRS 700....
trick works for the PRS 600 too!

To quickly make a bookmark.. double tap the right corner of the page..
to remove.. do same..

This is much faster than.. using the buttons!
Top right corner in th prs 700. It works much better with the stylus than with a finger.

Double tap again to remove

Single tap to add a note to the bookmark

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Thnx Tanzaku, very useful comments, had my 600 just 2 hours, it's great, loaded with over 200 books too
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
It is referenced in as many collections as you have tags. Some of mine use Horror, Short Story, and Lovecraft. It appears in all three. Note there is only one copy of the book - collections are only a database reference. And it works great! Most people asking for Folders do not realize what an elegant solution Collections are.

Robert
So, if I am understanding correctly, in Calibre, I can simply enter, 'The Dark Tower' as a tag on all the books part of the Dark Tower series, and after uploading to the 600, a collection called 'The Dark Tower' will automatically be created and will contain all books tagged as such?

If my understanding is correct, how would you order the books within this collection to be in the correct order (not alpha).

I was told in another post, within Calbre it is possible to create Series and set an order, but it would seem this functionality bypasses the Calibre series functionality.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
So, if I am understanding correctly, in Calibre, I can simply enter, 'The Dark Tower' as a tag on all the books part of the Dark Tower series, and after uploading to the 600, a collection called 'The Dark Tower' will automatically be created and will contain all books tagged as such?

If my understanding is correct, how would you order the books within this collection to be in the correct order (not alpha).
Your first paragraph is correct.

I'm pretty sure you have to add the books in the order you want them to appear in your collection.When I add books to Collections using Calibre, the new ones just get added to the end of the list that already exists.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
When you use the series tag in calibre to put your books in a specific order, you have to move all the books in the series at the same time to the reader. Any new additions will appear on the end of the list, whatever series number you attach to them in calibre. The "series" you set in calibre appears as just another collection on the reader, it's just a collection where you explicitly set the order yourself.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Your first paragraph is correct.

I'm pretty sure you have to add the books in the order you want them to appear in your collection.When I add books to Collections using Calibre, the new ones just get added to the end of the list that already exists.
Thank you very much. Much better than the way that I was doing it.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote