Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
megabadd
Enthusiast
megabadd began at the beginning.

Device: Astak PP
Calibre, Astak PP, and foreign languages. Help!

Hi all.

Newcomer here, just got my Astak PP and started using Calibre. I bought the Astak PP because I heard that it had built in foreign language support and I mainly want to use it to read Chinese and Japanese. So, I use Calibre to fetch Chinese and Japanese news sites , but it comes up as ??? for all of my news pulls.

The files are converted to epub but are not displaying correctly. I have updated my firmware, but I'm not sure as to what I should do from here. Converting the files to PDF makes them readable, but I'd rather have them in epub and use the automatic fetching and conversion feature of Calibre. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by megabadd; 12-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.
megabadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You would best check on this over at Calibre forum.
If the page displays in the Calibre epub viewer, I would guess the fonts are not being included in the EPUB file nor in the same storage device (main or SDcard) as the document.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
megabadd
Enthusiast

Thanks. They do appear correctly on my computer. How would I go about adding fonts to my Astak PP?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Did you install the "Adobe language package for Chinese, Japanese & Korean", from the firmware download page?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabadd View Post
Thanks. They do appear correctly on my computer. How would I go about adding fonts to my Astak PP?
Someone else will have to answer that one.

I never envisioned having to get that far into e-publishing (and reader quirks) , just to be able to read electronic books.
Good luck over at Calibre the group.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
megabadd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Did you install the "Adobe language package for Chinese, Japanese & Korean", from the firmware download page?
Just downloaded, unzipped to root of the EZReader but haven't noticed any changes. Was there something else I was supposed to do?

Last edited by megabadd; 12-10-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Just downloaded, unzipped to root of the EZReader but haven't noticed any changes. Was there something else I was supposed to do?
Did you install the firmware?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
megabadd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Did you install the firmware?

Dale
I installed the newest firmware on the site, but for the font pack, all it said was to unzip it to the root of my machine, which I did.

So, I can read Japanese .txts fine, and ONE of my Japanese news site feeds comes in ok (yomiuri) (The news stories' text are fine, but the table of contents is ???). However, the other two japanese feeds and the chinese news feed is nothing but ???.

In terms of figuring out trends, my generally working yomiuri rss comes from here: http://rss.yomiuri.co.jp/rss/yol/topstories, while my other news sites come from .xml files like: http://feeds.lifehacker.jp/rss/lifehacker/index.xml

Could it be that the other sites are xml that is messing me up?

Last edited by megabadd; 12-10-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it one works and others do not then it is likely that the fonts loaded ok and something else is going on. I am not sure why they would use a .xml extension. Are you converting these documents? Can you view them on your computer?

Dale
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
megabadd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, it one works and others do not then it is likely that the fonts loaded ok and something else is going on. I am not sure why they would use a .xml extension. Are you converting these documents? Can you view them on your computer?

Dale
Though, the TOC for that one is still ???. The .xml extension is for the RRS feed page, and I'm just using the basic import option in Calibre and I can view them fine on my computer.

If I could just get this to work, this ereader will be perfect.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Though, the TOC for that one is still ???. The .xml extension is for the RRS feed page, and I'm just using the basic import option in Calibre and I can view them fine on my computer.

If I could just get this to work, this ereader will be perfect.
Which format are you converting them to? It may be that TOC is not supported in that format or it is more likely that TOC software, which is outside, the book itself doesn't support the fonts. I take it you see some sort of TOC that works but only shows the ??? text.

Dale
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
it is more likely that TOC software, which is outside, the book itself doesn't support the fonts.
That seems to be the case, see Embeded fonts vs. TOC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
megabadd
Enthusiast

Converting them to epub. One of my news feeds has the ??? only in the TOC and the others have ??? throughout.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Converting them to epub. One of my news feeds has the ??? only in the TOC and the others have ??? throughout.
I would suggest you open them up (unzip) and look at the html files in your browser and see if you can see any difference.

Dale
Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
megabadd
Enthusiast

Quote:
I would suggest you open them up (unzip) and look at the html files in your browser and see if you can see any difference.

Dale
The html files opened up fine.