Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Reading this thread I realize that there is not much - there are not many things - that I would want calibre to do that it is already not doing well. Thank you Kovid!

In fact, will calibre continue to grow until it does so much that it loses the functionality that it now has? I hope not.

Oh yes, one little item that I would like to see. When you Save to Disk I would like to see calibre open the menu dialog to the same place (folder) that you saved to previously.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
But there are only two DRM providers for Mobi. Remember last year's August?
Three, if you include Amazon's (private) Kindle DRM server, but yes, I know. Still, all those stores would presumably need to install new software. It's not a trivial task. And what about all the older devices which have versions of the Mobi reader available? I doubt anyone' going to write "Digital Editions" eBook views for o/s's like old versions of PalmOS or Windows CE. Mobi's not going anywhere in a hurry!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentium View Post
Hi,
im a happy user of calibre: really great product!
Only worried about my growing library (>2000 ebooks) and so calibre on mac os x going slow when i ask something on the library (sorting or filtering or renaming). Could be a useful feature having more than one library (maybe selecting name and destination)?
Otherwise i will continue to swap file for library in order to make some quick conversion, when i dont want to wait minutes to calibre to open the big library.
Kovid has a Mac for development (courtesy of one of our MobileReaders). Perhaps you could burn a CD (or DVD) of your library and paper-mail it to him. Armed with that and with a detailed description of your performance issues, he'd probably be able to tune things up for you.

Note that Kovid's Mac is old and slow (partly because the donor was willing to give it up, and partly to encourage development choices that run well on old slow machines like what most of us have )

With only about 700 books in my library, calibre runs nice and quickly once it's opened. It's pretty slow to start up, though.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I'll add my vote for a convert to MOBI option. Inferior or not, it's not going away. However, were it a choice between that and epub, I vote for epub.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I also like the idea, originally discussed on teleread, for an epub2web converter, where "web" is the (exploded) epub plus additional html files to allow the ebook to be read by a standard web browser.
Now teleread is back up, see the discussion in The challenges of building on ePub. The argument for epub2web is that there are so few epub viewer applications, and unmodified web browsers should make very capable epub viewers providing you don't care about pages. The trick would be to get a good set of HTML wrappers for the epub files, since these will control the reading experience (TOC, goto next/last chapter, etcetera). Baen's on-line version is one example of how this might look, for example see the Read Online link for Ring of Fire.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
LRF2LRF

I'm real happy with the tool and can only think of one feature I would like to see.
And LRF2LRFconverter.

Most LRF I have came across have the fonts too large and the borders too thick. (except for the SONY Store LRX) I find it kind of ironic that I have to choose Mobi/ePub/LIT over LRF so that I may get the format I like. I've trolled some of the other threads and know I'm not alone here

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@HarryT: I agree that MOBI as a platform for delivering content isn't going away anytime soon, but that's not the point. calibre already converts *from* MOBI, just not *to* MOBI. My point is that in the very near future most devices that read MOBI will also read epub, which means that converting to MOBI will be pointless, since you'd get a nicer ebook converting to EPUB.

@wallcraft: You could always vote for me to write an epub viewer Certainly creating a HTML wrapper around an exploded epub should be easy.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm real happy with the tool and can only think of one feature I would like to see.
And LRF2LRFconverter. =X=
Yep. That is one feature I miss...
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since mobipocket is about to release a version of mobigen for linux, writing html2mobi should become pretty easy as well.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
My point is that in the very near future most devices that read MOBI will also read epub,
I'm not so sure that you're right about that, but let's wait and see. Time will tell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #26
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well, I've already ponied up (I sent cash directly to Kovid's snail mailbox, rather than giving eBay a cut), but I would happily pay more for one thing that is near and dear to this Mac-user's heart: Drag-and-drop support. Not just for adding books to the Library, but also for adding artwork to a book.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can already drag and drop cover images to onto the cover display in the edit metadata dialog
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #28
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can already drag and drop cover images to onto the cover display in the edit metadata dialog
Aha. I guess I should have been a little more specific. There's a little bug (in the Mac version, at least) with regard to adding artwork. the metadata window expands to accommodate the size of the image without taking into account the size of the display. If the image is too big, the control buttons and "resize corner" vanish off the bottom of the screen and can't be retrieved. The only way out is to hit the ESC key or the close button. My suggestion would be to only expand the window down to the top of the Dock (or the bottom of the screen if the dock is hidden) and add a scrollbar, OR to dynamically resize the "displayed" image to avoid enlarging the window too far.

(I should also note that I'm still using one of the last versions of libprs500. If this has already been fixed in calibre, I apologize).
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Aha. I guess I should have been a little more specific. There's a little bug (in the Mac version, at least) with regard to adding artwork. the metadata window expands to accommodate the size of the image without taking into account the size of the display. If the image is too big, the control buttons and "resize corner" vanish off the bottom of the screen and can't be retrieved. The only way out is to hit the ESC key or the close button. My suggestion would be to only expand the window down to the top of the Dock (or the bottom of the screen if the dock is hidden) and add a scrollbar, OR to dynamically resize the "displayed" image to avoid enlarging the window too far.

(I should also note that I'm still using one of the last versions of libprs500. If this has already been fixed in calibre, I apologize).
I see this resize issue with the Linux version.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the windows resizing issue will be fixed in the next release.