Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
chrisb
chrisb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-500
Marvel Comic PDFs and E-Readers

Question -

i've discovered that there are 40+ years of various marvel comic books on single DVDS for a *very* reasonable choice as unlocked PDFs. check amazon [spiderman, avengers etc]. reading them on an e-reader such as my prs-500 would be fantastic, and am about to try it. hwoever, based on experience with scripts stored as PDF i have a suspicion that the size of the reader will be too small, aside from the colour issue.

SO. question 1: how far away are we from decent colour e-readers such as the fujitsu at a resolution and size good enough for decent comics? and secondly,
Question 2: what is the best reader TODAY, greyscale or otherwise, to read these comics?

yes, i'm willing to purchase a second e-reader to have access to 1000s of comic books in one reader ;-P

thanks in advance!

chris
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
1: Two years. I think they'll be working well in one but the refresh speed has to go way up.

2. Iliad by and far, it wins on both size and shades of grey. I love comics too and I wish I had an Iliad but I'm happy with my Reader.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
chrisb

Well, i'm addicted to comics so i ordered one. only way to be sure..i can always sell it ;-P

i will let you know what its like when it shows up.

chris
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
When you get it, can you post a couple pages? I want to try to convert it for the Sony Reader before I buy it myself.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
chrisb

yes, i will post images of the comics on both the readers..and see how it goes.

chris
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've got a ton of comics, manga and graphic novels that I'd love to see in digital files. Unfortunately, I don't want to give up on the color. I'm holding out until I can get something that will read them in color, even if it's just a large-ish tablet PC. And I'll probably be the one doing the digitizing...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
How the reader handles comics: http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-ma...ve-review.html

As for the questions...

I think that within 2 years, a lowcolour (16 bits?) device will be available. But for what price and what resolution?

As for reading comics... without the colors, I don't feel any reader is good enough. Comics relies heavily on colors, so... if you read them black and white, it'd be like an insult.

Manga and colors isn't a problem of course.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
chrisb, don't expect too much. In those DVDs, all pages are scanned in two page spreads. Fitting one page in a screen as small as that of the Iliad could be ok, but two...
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
They sound pretty good-- but I'm leery of the format. I have serious issues reading PDFs on screen, and doing two page spreads of comics sounds really hard to read.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
chrisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
chrisb, don't expect too much. In those DVDs, all pages are scanned in two page spreads. Fitting one page in a screen as small as that of the Iliad could be ok, but two...
hmm. you are right, i didnt consider that. however, since they isnt any DRM, there should be a way to script an app that could split the page and save as separate images, no?

chrs
Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Acrobat is capable of cropping pages and resaving them... I've split pages in that way before, one set at a time. Never tried writing a macro for it, though.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Acrobat is capable of cropping pages and resaving them... I've split pages in that way before, one set at a time. Never tried writing a macro for it, though.
PDFLRF already does this. At least, it comes pretty close.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #13
trippin
trippin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The comic book collection contains a watermark. This can be annoying since it is located in the middle of the page. In my experience any pdf reader software would show the watermark unless the software has a feature to hide watermarks.

So how would an e-ink device get around this issue?
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippin View Post
The comic book collection contains a watermark. This can be annoying since it is located in the middle of the page. In my experience any pdf reader software would show the watermark unless the software has a feature to hide watermarks.

So how would an e-ink device get around this issue?
It has nothing to do with the device being eink based or not. It has to do with the software to render the PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The only catch with a watermark is that with a device that supports four gray scales it may be too intrusive where it could be fainter on one with sixteen levels. Still it really has very little to do with the screen technology. It's all about how intrusive is the watermark?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote