Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #46
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
Just picked up my nook at B&N. Getting used to the differences with my Sony Readers. Wondering how it handles newspapers and magazines. The store did not have any covers, they say later this coming week. Hopefully they will be there, if not will order online.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #47
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Softroot is pretty easy if you go by the instructions. The Nook is fine without it but if you ever decide it give it a try the instructions are here
http://nookdevs.com/Softroot You can also find video instructions on YouTube. Here are some of the features in a video on this forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=softroot

~eddie
I'm currently debating whether to softroot or not. Calibre is doing a good job of getting my feeds. I am not really seeing anything else of value. I browse on my laptop although, I tend to buy books from kobobooks.com. Can I do that with the softroot browser?

Help me out, folks. I am a hacker at heart but only when I get something of value out of it. I don't do it for kicks.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #48
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Being able to sort by tag, adding custom feeds via trook, downloading books from a variety of sources, setting up my calibre as a server so I can sideload wirelessly, and cover flow for sideloaded books are all reasons that I immediately softrooted my Nook
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #49
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I'm getting used to the nook. I've only swiped the e-ink screen by accident once a day now.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #50
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The biggest advantage for softrooting for me is that I can use Trook to set up folders for all my books. It makes things to much easier to find what I want instead of scrolling through 70 pages of books. If you have a small library it probably will not matter much.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #51
denisek
denisek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, HTC Incredible, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Softroot is pretty easy if you go by the instructions. The Nook is fine without it but if you ever decide it give it a try the instructions are here
http://nookdevs.com/Softroot You can also find video instructions on YouTube. Here are some of the features in a video on this forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=softroot

~eddie
Thanks for the links.
If the weather cooperates tomorrow I can spend the day home playing.

Denise
denisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #52
lkmg
lkmg began at the beginning.

Device: none
i read of someone bricked his Nook during softrooting. not sure if he has resolved the issue. has anyone permanently bricked his Nook after softrooting? i am still not sure if i want to softroot the Nook when I buy it.
lkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #53
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
They're selling like hotcakes!
Imagine how much better (not than nook, better than it did) Kindle could have done, had the Amazon realized the importance of the physical store presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
i read of someone bricked his Nook during softrooting. not sure if he has resolved the issue. has anyone permanently bricked his Nook after softrooting? i am still not sure if i want to softroot the Nook when I buy it.
Care to share the link?

Last edited by stangri; 02-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #54
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Imagine how much better (not than nook, better than it did) Kindle could have done, had the Amazon realized the importance of the physical store presence.
My comment was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. I think Amazon still owns the market at the moment.

Hard to know without real numbers and they are not much willing to share them.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #55
Grammy
Grammy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
What does softroot mean ? What advantage is it?
Grammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #56
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Softrooting the nook means that you install a modified version of the nook software that allows you to install software other than the standard software supplied by Barnes & Noble. In particular, the softroot package includes a file/directory browser, a web browser, and an application that can download books from Stanza catalogs or OPDS content or your Calibre content server. The latter two require a wi-fi connection or a SIM card other than the one that came with your nook.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote