Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sigil v0.1.4

Sigil v0.1.4 has been released. The ChangeLog (live version here) for this release follows:
Quote:
Sigil v0.1.4 2009.10.08.
- SGF files are now associated with Sigil on Windows (issue #135)
- SGF files are now associated with Sigil on Mac OS X (issue #10)
- fixed issue with "Open With" OS actions not working on Macs (issue #111)
- provided more informative tooltips by following Word 2007 tooltip style (issue #64)
- the heading text can now be edited in the TOC Editor (issue #131)
- the Save As dialog now uses the current filename in the filename field (issue #18)
- views can now be zoomed (issue #44)
- Sigil no longer loads flow-specific CSS... this was causing more harm than good; loading
flow-specific CSS will be back in 0.2.0.
- implemented a NEW workaround for a webkit bug causing the first character of a heading
created after a chapter break to be displayed incorrectly (issue #78)

- fixed issue with TOC editor not resolving HTML entities (issue #125)
- fixed issue with Tidy changing case of attribute names (issue #120)
- Sigil will from now on check for a newer version on startup and present an informative
message if such a version is found (issue #67)

- made SGF importing MUCH faster (issue #119)
- provided a window icon on Linux
- providing binary installers for Windows AND LINUX (issue #6)
- further improved encoding detection for HTML import
- fixed graphical misalignment of controls in MetaEditor on Linux and Mac platforms
- fixed syntax highlighting for XPGT stylesheets
- fixed rare issue with SGF importing that displayed all body text underlined (issue #118)
- fixed display of the Sigil chapter break in Book View: the red double-line now
properly appears after all images (issue #117)
- added support for importing images referenced in SVG elements in HTML import
- HTML importing now defaults to a locale-aware codec if one is not detected in the HTML stream;
previously the fallback codec was UTF-8; this change should improve importing of old HTML
documents (issue #113)
Highlights of this release have been bolded. The biggest feature are of course the new installers for Windows and Linux (both x86 and x64). No more building from source. Hopefully the Linux Gods will be appeased by this offering and stop sending me hatemail.

The SGF file format is now associated with Sigil on Windows and Mac (haven't had the time to do it for Linux, sorry). It also has a shiny new icon courtesy of pdurrant, who also compiled the Mac version of Sigil.

Also significant is the update checker that should check online for a newer version of Sigil every six hours and present a dialog informing the user if a newer version is found. It does not automatically update your installation, it only informs.

The third major feature are the zooming operations for the Views. They can now be independently zoomed.

The issue a lot of people were encountering (the first character of a heading problem) should now finally be fixed. I've completely worked around the problematic Webkit code and replaced it with Javascript that should perform without problems.

As you may have noticed, this release took me a while. It's unfortunate, but it was sadly unavoidable. As a full time graduate student, free time for me is a rare luxury.

The next version of Sigil (0.1.5) should bring the oft-requested Search&Replace feature. Aside from a few things I didn't have time to include in this version, S&R is the one and only feature planned for the next release.

After that, I'm starting work on the planned redesign. Sigil will transition from the single-flow editing approach where all XHTML files in an EPUB are grouped together into one editable whole to a multi-flow approach which enables the user to edit the files one by one. This will do wonders for memory and CPU consumption, and will also resolve the problems stemming from Sigil not rewriting conflicting CSS.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-08-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
YAY! for new Sigil version!

BOO! For the fact that I need to pull overtime tonight and can't try it out!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
woot !! new version ! can't wait to test it out. thank you valloric !!!

and S&R coming in the next update, well, that makes me chortle with glee !

/goes to download.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Thank you very much for the possibility to edit the heading text in the TOC Editor.
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Tanks for the linux installer Works a charm.

** wait for 2.0 **, it gonna ba awsome
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Thanks! Great work Valloric. Now we'll get started with the where is 0.1.5 threads??
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Thanks! Great work Valloric. Now we'll get started with the where is 0.1.5 threads??
I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?!? Can't you see that there's already a "where is 0.2.0" thread???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?!? Can't you see that there's already a "where is 0.2.0" thread???

Derek
Hey, I thought I'd go easy on the guy...but it looks like some of you folk are SERIOUS about crushing his spirit! (Not that grad school doesn't do a good job at that)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I see you have a 64bit linux version, what's the chance of getting a 64bit windows version?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
orion2001
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I see you have a 64bit linux version, what's the chance of getting a 64bit windows version?
Out of curiosity, do you have any trouble with the 32 bit version on your 64bit windows OS? I am running Sigil on my Windows 7 x64 machine with no trouble. I don't really see what advantage there is from having a Native 64-bit version of Sigil.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have any trouble with the 32 bit version on your 64bit windows OS? I am running Sigil on my Windows 7 x64 machine with no trouble. I don't really see what advantage there is from having a Native 64-bit version of Sigil.
As soon as I decided to provide an x64 version of Sigil for Linux, I knew people would be asking for a Windows x64 version.

Orion2001 said basically everything I meant to say on this issue: are you having problems with the 32 bit version on 64 bit Windows? I doubt it, since Sigil is developed on Win7 x64, and before that, on Vista x64. So there are no issues with running the 32 bit version. On Linux this is slightly different.

I do plan on providing an x64 version of Sigil for Windows, but currently there is no need. There wouldn't be any noticeable performance benefit, if any at all. So this is a very low priority issue. It will become higher priority if and when someone demonstrates to me that they really need it.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-10-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Looks great so far on OSX Snow Leopard, Valloric! Thank you! Giving it a test drive now.

Edit: I am not seeing images when loading in ePub documents, only a blue square with question mark icon. Also, inserting new images also gives me the blue square with a question mark icon instead of the image.

Edit: The images are, however, showing up when I export it to Calibre/ my iPhone.

Edit: Ok, TOC Editor with editable chapter headings ROCKS. Great feature, Valloric!

Last edited by kjk; 10-08-2009 at 10:49 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Edit: I am not seeing images when loading in ePub documents, only a blue square with question mark icon. Also, inserting new images also gives me the blue square with a question mark icon instead of the image.

Edit: The images are, however, showing up when I export it to Calibre/ my iPhone.
I am hearing some reports of Mac users not seeing images in imported documents, from HTML imports to EPUB imports. Could anyone with a Mac confirm that they too are seeing this problem? Or could a Mac person confirm that it is working correctly for them?

I'll test this out myself as soon as I personally get access to a Mac, which I'm afraid won't be for a few days.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I'm not have any problems on my normal PC with running the 32bit version on Windows 7 64bit.

It was mainly out of curiosity as you had a 64bit linux version.

I will be moving Sigal to another PC I've built specifically for the use as a media centre. This happens to be an Atom 330 machine (using Nvidia Ion), with the limited resources it contains, a 64bit version should make it a little more responsive.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
I will be moving Sigal to another PC I've built specifically for the use as a media centre. This happens to be an Atom 330 machine (using Nvidia Ion), with the limited resources it contains, a 64bit version should make it a little more responsive.
0.1.5 could possibly come in an x64 flavour for Windows. I'd need to find the time to do it, and it's low on my TODO list. But you'll see it one day.