Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #24376
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I had a dizzy spell and went to the urgent care. The blood pressure was 205/124 so they sent me to the emergency room. Now I am on three medications for the blood pressure and the third one finally seems to have done the trick (maybe too much so) but I feel worse than when the BP was at life-threatening levels. Probably due to side-effects and/or the third med bringing the BP down too much last night. Ugh. I am not that old (41) and not that fat. This sucks.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 07-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #24377
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Uggh that sucks. Get well soon. Hopefully you can see your Doctor soon and start to figure out why this is happening and get it under control.

I am 42 and my Doctor has been talking about meds for low blood pressure for me. They are pretty much guaranteed when I am older but it is a regular topic at my annual physical. When I was pregnant my highest was 112/over something. It is not unusual for my blood pressure to be 90something/60 something. She regularly asks me about dizziness, fainting and the like.

My point? Sometimes age has nothing to do with it and our bodies do what they will do. Don't focus on your age, focus on what you can control.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #24378
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Dogs do not pee where they sleep.

Dogs do not pee where they sleep. That's the rule. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Everyone but Norton. A while ago he jumped in our bed and peed at the foot of it. I called him every name in the book and let him outside (he had just recently come in). A few minutes ago my wife let me know that Norton was back in and in the living room. "Good," I said. "He peed on our bed."

"I think he's avoiding you."

"Good. He peed on our bed."

And this after giving him tuna fish for breakfast. How many dogs get tuna fish for breakfast?

He's trying to make nice, now, but I'm ignoring him. That, and washing the bed covers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #24379
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Uggh that sucks. Get well soon. Hopefully you can see your Doctor soon and start to figure out why this is happening and get it under control.

I am 42 and my Doctor has been talking about meds for low blood pressure for me. They are pretty much guaranteed when I am older but it is a regular topic at my annual physical. When I was pregnant my highest was 112/over something. It is not unusual for my blood pressure to be 90something/60 something. She regularly asks me about dizziness, fainting and the like.

My point? Sometimes age has nothing to do with it and our bodies do what they will do. Don't focus on your age, focus on what you can control.
Thanks, Prof. I know not taking my thyroid medication and fluid pill properly hasn't helped. Also, although I am not obese, I have gained weight with new job, new house, etc. and am overweight again and it doesn't take much for a small woman.

I am rather annoyed at my Dr. I asked her if I should take the new pill last night as I was 150-something/100 in her office. She said yes. I asked her if I should take it with the others. She said yes. Well, the new pill definitely dropped my BP TOO low (cold and prickly last night). The pharmacist said that it is not good to be on all three at once. Thankfully, i had only taken the other two the morning before and knew enough to check my BP and NOT to take them again in the morning after my BP dropped so low.

The nurse at the Drs. office said that the Dr. wanted to ultrasound my kidneys even though my kidney-related bloodwork the hospital did on Saturday night was fine because "Lisinopril sometimes drops it like that if there is a kidney issue." I'm not taking the Norvasc or the Lisinopril today but got the go-ahead to take my little fluid pill. Personally, I think s it is because I am/was on too many meds.

So, I get to go to the imaging center for that kidney ultrasound tomorrow and then to the cardio.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 07-17-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #24380
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Good luck, covingtoncat73! And don't hesitate to get second (and third) opinions!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #24381
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
...........I am rather annoyed at my Dr. ..........
Doctors are often NOT the best sources for information about medicines and their effects when combined. There are just so many of them on the market, with new ones coming out every day, the for many doctors the only information they get is the quick read of the little paper that comes inside the package. It's good to get more opinions, especially from pharmacists who really specialize in medicine rather than in health care.

Feel better soon!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 AM   #24382
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Absolutely agree. M.D.s are really not at all good at multiple drug interactions. A good pharmacist can literally be a life saver.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #24383
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Thanks, guys. I had only been on the Norvasc for two days (plus the night at the hospital), so I probably should have given it a couple of more days before jumping on another med. I await the results of further bloodwork and the kidney ultrasound.

The worst part of this week being fun on a bun? I was not able to enjoy the lovely couple of days of an unusual July "cool" front (actually it doesn't deserve the quotes. It was a few degrees less hot and way less humid, so you really felt it). Anyway, it is still cooler than usual but the clouds are rolling in and it is supposed to be a rainy weekend.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #24384
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Just burnt my hand a belter on the wok
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #24385
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Three weeks ago, my 5.5 year old notebook started crapping out; random freezes under Windows 7. Ran all tests I could think of (memory, SSD, HDD, graphics, stress test), and found no errors; afterward, the notebook worked as it should, up until yesterday.

It started crashing, freezing, and showing weird behavior in general. When running the Windows 7 CD repair CD/console, nothing was wrong. Live Linux distributions seemed to work fine as well.

However, checking the SSD made CHKDSK hang.

Totday, I took out the SSD and HDD, and checked them with CHKDSK, HDTune, and the programs of the respective manufacturers. The SSD makes them all hang. It can't even be formatted beyond 10% anymore, even though the SMART data is completely OK and health is stated to be 100%. The old 250GB HDD is fine.

Point of learning 1: SMART data is stupid. It's unreliable.
Point of learning 2: An SSD can fail.
Point of learning 3: An SSD can even fail faster than an HDD. (3 years DEAD vs. 5.5 years and still RUNNING.)
Bad news: New SSD needed. It's on the way and should be delivered tomorrow.
Good news: I needed a bigger SSD in my desktop. So, the new 120GB will be built into the desktop, and the old 64GB will move to the notebook, which needs a lot less storage for programs. (That 64GB one is actually the same model that crapped out in the notebook.)
Better news: Damn, these things got cheap in the last three years.

Then: €100 for 64GB.
Now: €62 for 120GB.

Great news: I always have backups. (That was a HUGE learning point in 1995, when I had my first HDD headcrash, losing days and days of high school essay work and hundreds of savegames.)

For €62, I'll fix the old beast and restore the image. It has served me very well in 5.5 years, and if it doesn't utterly fail, it'll be some day retired to become a dedicated computer to run my DGT chessboard and accompanying software.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-18-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #24386
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
Just burnt my hand a belter on the wok
I have a blister now, burning my hand on the metal clasp of a car's seatbelt.

It was fracking hot in there
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #24387
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Point of learning 1: SMART data is stupid. It's unreliable.
Point of learning 2: An SSD can fail.
Point of learning 3: An SSD can even fail faster than an HDD. (3 years DEAD vs. 5.5 years and still RUNNING.)
Bad news: New SSD needed. It's on the way and should be delivered tomorrow.
Good news: I needed a bigger SSD in my desktop. So, the new 120GB will be built into the desktop, and the old 64GB will move to the notebook, which needs a lot less storage for programs. (That 64GB one is actually the same model that crapped out in the notebook.)
Better news: Damn, these things got cheap in the last three years.
Even Better News: They've gotten more reliable. Early SSDs were undeniably faster than HDDs, but had serious reliability issues. The current crop of "Enterprise" SSDs have MTBFs of ~1M hours. (Do the math - that's a LOT longer than you'll keep any machine!) And even the cheaper consumer grade ones have MTBFs in the 6 figures. So a definite improvement. My two laptops have a 500GB and a 960GB SSD respectively. Something unimaginable as recently as a couple of years ago.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #24388
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Even Better News: They've gotten more reliable. Early SSDs were undeniably faster than HDDs, but had serious reliability issues. The current crop of "Enterprise" SSDs have MTBFs of ~1M hours. (Do the math - that's a LOT longer than you'll keep any machine!) And even the cheaper consumer grade ones have MTBFs in the 6 figures. So a definite improvement. My two laptops have a 500GB and a 960GB SSD respectively. Something unimaginable as recently as a couple of years ago.
Now we are jealous
I have been looking at SSDs for years, but unwilling to pay the price. I need way bigger than 64/128G for a desktop/laptop. Of course I only reboot every second Thursday so SSD not that important.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #24389
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

CRussel: I always have an SSD for software, and an HDD for data, in desktops as well as notebooks. It keeps the price down, and I like having my OS and data separated.

That SSD I put in there three years ago made the old 2008 era notebook fly like a rocket. It still does. (Did, until yesterday...) Without an SSD, I would have retired that notebook 2.5 years ago. Now, it often feels faster than newer systems that run CPU's five times as powerful as mine, but limp along on a 5400 RPM HDD.

I used that notebook carefully but heavily, and I don't really mind this failure. If a new SSD ad €62 gets it going again, I'll happily use it until the mainboard explodes. (Assuming the SSD was the problem, but it certainly looks like it.) If it still runs in 2020, I'll retire it from active duty forever because Windows 7 will go EOL, but it will still be running as a chess computer.

Speakingtohe: use a small SSD beside an HDD. Also, it's not just for booting. Programs also start a lot faster.

Edit: I have to disable spell checking or I'll go insane.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-18-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #24390
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
There was a long thread on SSDs on a mailing list I'm on, whose members are mostly techs - sysadmins, network engineers and the like. The consensus was "SSDs do wonderful things for performance. But for safety and reliability, buy the high priced spread and get Intel SSDs. Yes, they cost more, but how much is your data worth?"

Meanwhile, SSDs are following the same path hard drives did, getting steadily faster, higher capacity, and cheaper. Back in the 80s, I worked for a bank, and the original IBM-PC was just starting to take over corporate desktops. One of the managers in my area got a PC with a <gasp!> 5 MB hard drive. As I recall, the drive itself cost about $5K. These days, drive costs are more like 50 cents a gigabyte. I just got a 32GB flash drive a couple of weeks ago to create a portable Calibre installation, and it cost me $15.

Costs will continue to drop, and flash media capacities will grow. It's a classic capital intensive business. The single biggest cost is building the fab that actually makes the stuff, and every part sold has a share of the allocated overhead of building the plant
as part of the cost. The more of it you make, the smaller the allocated overhead can be for each piece, and the cheaper you can price it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness