Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #31
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Got my brand new Kindle DXG yesterday. Opening a 9 MB PDF (scientific america) took about 60 seconds. Close, reopen, again ~ 60 seconds. A nightmare. Well, other PDFs open more quickly. Still waiting for PB 903 to compare.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #32
0utis
Enthusiast
0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook 902
I tried to open a 100 MB pdf with my 902. Nope, it won't open - to be fair it's a scanned travel guide, even the computer has problems with it. With files over 30 MB (also scanned material), the 902 will give a warning that the file is too big, but it opens them nevertheless - the first time in about 10-15s, after that it's fast.

The zoom is pretty good, I haven't found a pdf that I couldn't adjust to read comfortably.

True, the main menu is a bit sluggish but turning pages is faster than on the Sony prs-505.As for the interface, I don't own a kindle, but I can tell you that it's far less intuitive than the prs-505's. To the extent that, at first, I wasn't impressed with the 902, but after a week exploring its configuration options, I am getting very fond of it. I wouldn't give it to my Mom, but if you don't mind tinkering a bit, it's pretty nifty. Sort of like a Debian system..
0utis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #33
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Got my brand new Kindle DXG yesterday. Opening a 9 MB PDF (scientific america) took about 60 seconds. Close, reopen, again ~ 60 seconds. A nightmare. Well, other PDFs open more quickly. Still waiting for PB 903 to compare.
Tried the same PDF with PRS-650. Opened in less than 5 seconds; page turns 1-2 seconds. Well, sometimes page turn take 10-15 seconds.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #34
cyclekitty
cyclekitty began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
I got my order from dulins books and all communication attempts to contact them have failed anyone got a suggestion?
cyclekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #35
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
What's wrong cyclekitty? i have received and replied to some 50 emails in the last several days and a handful of PMs. I don't recall one from you? I think the last time we exchanged emails was middle of November?

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #36
cyclekitty

I don't want to do this on forum. please let me know how to contact you. Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #37
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

send me a pm here , use the contact form on the website http://www.dulinsbooks.com/contact-us or even just email dulinsbooks at gmail dot com
Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #38
cyclekitty

I've done both of those things, twice on website and tonight I used a reply to my order confirmation that I recieved from you that was just returned as undeliverable. If you will email me at cyclekitty@comcast.net. I will reply to that.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #39
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
According to pocketbook 902 user's manual, the notes (highlighted text) are saved in a notepad. Can the notes (i.e., the highlighted text) be exported to an external PC or sent to an email address as attachment?

I am debating whether to buy onyx boox 60 or pocketbook 902. Apparently boox 60 is much more powerful in note-taking but the screen is smaller than pocketbook 902. Any help will be appreciated.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #40
cyclekitty

sent you a pm.
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 1 second(s):

* dulinbooks@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #41
Dulin's Books
Wizard

oh its missing the s ... dulinsbooks at gmail
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #42
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by borbuk View Post
The only real snag is that I would like to be able to add a little bit of margin to text files, and there appears to be no setting to do so.
You can add margins to text files - to any files that are opened with FBReader.
You cannot add margins to pdf and to ePub if you open ePub with Adobe.
If you open ePub with FBReader - you will have your wider margins.

To do that, on an open page press OK, in the pop-up window go to the lower left corner "Settings" - you will get "FBReader configuration", and there - "Page margins:" set to large.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #43
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
You cannot add margins to pdf and to ePub if you open ePub with Adobe.
Thats too bad because I would like to remove margins from pdf documents. Unfortunately fbreader cannot open pdfs.

In the german manual (on page 48 I think) it's said it's possible to adjust margins to a couple of filetypes including pdf. I could not find such option however. I've asked about it in the german part of the forum but nobody answered.

I'm unhappy with the offered zoom functions when reading pdfs. I read a lot of Latex created documents and the margins take an awful lot of space.

Is it maybe possible to install additional reader software or something?
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #44
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
pdf is a document with a fixed size, and therefore it is not possible to zoom it.
Even on a PC you can't zoom pdf - if you zoom it, you zoom also the margins, you cannot zoom it in such a way that white margins would contract while the text is expanding.
PDF is like a picture, and margins are parts of the picture.

On PocketBook, you can re-flow pdfs and zoom afterwards.
But the result is not always good - sometimes there are no margins left at all.
Perhaps this issue can be easily fixed in future firmwares.

BTW, if you yourself generate PDFs (convert latex to pdf, for example), you can make them fit PocketBook 902 perfectly. You can chose everything: the page size, font sizes, line spacing, margin sizes.

If you already have pdfs, you can scale them or re-flow them with special tools before using on PocketBook, or to convert (sometimes not fully) to a diffirent format.
I myself have lots of pdfs and am looking for some simple way to deal with them.
The ideal solution would be to have a script and make batch re-scaling for PocketBook.
Perhaps someone already solved it for some other ebook readers.

Last edited by parkher; 12-09-2010 at 04:22 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #45
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
... and therefore it is not possible to zoom it.
Even on a PC you can't zoom pdf - if you zoom it, you zoom also the margins, you cannot zoom it in such a way that white margins would contract
On my trusty, old PocketBook 360 there is option where you zoom pdf automatically in such a way that you see only text and not left or right margin.
It is called something like "fit text" ... I only use pdf files very seldom. 5 inch screen is waaaay to small for A4 pdf, even sidewise.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote